All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:20 pm 
Martian War Lord

FROM : <a href='http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30383' target='_blank'>scifi.com</a><br /><br />Filmmakers, including director Steven Spielberg and star Tom Cruise, revealed key details to SCI FI Wire about their upcoming SF epic movie War of the Worlds during filming on location in the Los Angeles suburb of Piru, Calif., on Feb. 10. Among the secrets revealed about the film, which is based on H.G. Wells' classic martian-invasion novel: <br /><br />•The aliens are not martians. <br /><br />•The aliens will appear in the massive mechanical tripods described in Wells' book, and not the boomerang-shaped flying saucers from George Pal's 1953 movie of the same name. The tripods will be largely computer-generated. <br /><br />•Tom Cruise's character, Ray, is a dockworker and father, not a scientist or military leader, as in previous incarnations of Wells' story. <br /><br />•Gene Barry and Ann Robinson, stars of Pal's movie, will have cameo appearances. <br /><br />•Spielberg's film will hew closely to themes and events in Wells' novel, featuring such elements as the red weed and the black smoke, as well as a cellar sequence right out of the book. <br /><br />SCI FI Wire was part of a group of outlets given an unprecedented glimpse at a Spielberg film in production. The tiny town of Piru, nestled in the green hills north of Los Angeles, was transformed into a rainy Hudson Valley, N.Y., town for three days, populated by 700 extras playing refugees fleeing the alien menace. Cruise, with Dakota Fanning and Justin Chatwin playing his children, attempts to drive a blue Plymouth van—the same vehicle they are seen commandeering in their Super Bowl TV spot and one of the few remaining operating cars—through a crowd of refugees, who begin to bang on the car and yell, threatening to pull the family out. <br /><br />Speaking to reporters during a break in filming, Spielberg said that the movie holds special resonance in these unsettled times. "I gave the benevolent aliens a couple of shots [in Close Encounters of the Third Kind and E.T.]," Spielberg said. "And now I'm going to try my hand at the worst kind [laughs]: ... the kind that's just bent on ending civilization as we know it and beginning their own. If you read the original book, you know they terraform the planet. They reap and sow. ... And I think in the shadow of 9/11, there is a little relevance with how we are all so unsettled in our feelings about ... our collective futures. And that's why I think, when I reconsidered War of the Worlds, post-9/11, it began to make more sense to me, that it could be ... a tremendous emotional story, as well as a very entertaining one, and have some kind of current relevance." <br /><br />For his part, Cruise said that he was eager to work with Spielberg after their first experience on Minority Report. "For me, The War of the Worlds was always a book that I really enjoyed," he said. "And I felt that the story could be relevant. ... All the elements are exciting. you know? [And,] obviously, [the chance] to work with my friend again. ... I'm playing a father, ... things that are very important to me in my life. It's the biggest, smallest movie that we've made." War of the Worlds is currently in production and will open June 29. <br /><br /><br />

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:29 am 

•The aliens are not martians.<br /><br />Granted I understand the "common sense" reason why they wouldn't be from mars but its so rare in any science fiction movie these days when we face an enemy in our backyard.<br /><br />•The aliens will appear in the massive mechanical tripods described in Wells' book, and not the boomerang-shaped flying saucers from George Pal's 1953 movie of the same name. The tripods will be largely computer-generated. <br /><br />Thats pretty cool, walking machines are pretty retro but more terrifying so thats different and I take exception to calling the 53's machines Flying Saucers, grrr....<br /><br />•Tom Cruise's character, Ray, is a dockworker and father, not a scientist or military leader, as in previous incarnations of Wells' story. <br /><br />Just a regular Joe shmoe which is an old Steven Speilberg trademark, nothing wrong with that.<br /><br />•Gene Barry and Ann Robinson, stars of Pal's movie, will have cameo appearances. <br /><br />Hehe in an old folks home about to be flattened by a tripod but seriously thats way cool, to bad we won't see anyone from the TV Series.<br /><br />•Spielberg's film will hew closely to themes and events in Wells' novel, featuring such elements as the red weed and the black smoke, as well as a cellar sequence right out of the book. <br /><br />Hey I never expected this to be the book but its nice they are useing elements from the book and hopefully from the movie and TV series as well. <br /><br />All in all some very nice information (solid stuff) Btw any idea on what kind of character Tim Robbins is playing?<br /><br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:19 am 
Tripod King

how can the cellar sequence be right out of the book, we've seen a photo from it, its Cruise and Fanning!

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:28 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 14 2005, 03:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 14 2005, 03:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how can the cellar sequence be right out of the book, we've seen a photo from it, its Cruise and Fanning!<br />[right][snapback]844[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Get down with your badself :afro: .<br /><br />lol I sort of agree with you on this one LM...<br /><br />Which pair of shoes you wearing today LM, Lonesome Crow asked me to ask :asskiss:

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:07 am 

:bunda: Sorry Mr 'Have it your own way' Spielberg.This film or should i say 'Independance Day Part Two' will have the same effect on me as a broken down washing machine..........it just won't wash matey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!P.E.N.D.R.A.G.O.N.......mmmmmmmmm!!!(the way forward)

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:33 am 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-The Curate+Feb 14 2005, 10:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Curate @ Feb 14 2005, 10:07 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->:bunda: Sorry Mr 'Have it your own way' Spielberg.This film or should i say 'Independance Day Part Two' will have the same effect on me as a broken down washing machine..........it just won't wash matey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!P.E.N.D.R.A.G.O.N.......mmmmmmmmm!!!(the way forward)<br />[right][snapback]859[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />have you been drinking?<br /><br />as fun as it is to bash Speilberg, take it from the man who spearheads the anti Speilberg/Cruise arguments in these here woods, you should have an argument and reasons :P<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Martian Myster The New Master+Feb 14 2005, 07:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martian Myster The New Master @ Feb 14 2005, 07:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->lol I sort of agree with you on this one LM...<br /><br />Which pair of shoes you wearing today LM, Lonesome Crow asked me to ask  :asskiss:<br />[right][snapback]847[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />im wearing the £7000-per-shoe trainers Speilberg sent me to stop bashing his movie in public :D<br /><br />im glad you agree with me on this cellar scene business. Ignoring the fact that thats already not true cos of the presence of lil Dakota let me ask you this, will Cruise then have to kill her when she makes too much noise and then have to hide while a Martian comes and drags her body away? I think not.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:51 am 

:huh: I do have a good reason.They are bastardising Mr Well's novel for their own ends.If thats not a good enough reason to 'bash' spielberg then what is????? <_<

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:09 pm 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-The Curate+Feb 14 2005, 11:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Curate @ Feb 14 2005, 11:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->:huh: I do have a good reason.They are bastardising Mr Well's novel for their own ends.If thats not a good enough reason to 'bash' spielberg then what is????? <_<<br />[right][snapback]873[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />you misunderstand i am saying it is not enough simply to say "they are bastardising it" you need to say "they are bastarding it because etc etc etc"

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:29 pm 

Ok Leper...i will get back to you on that one

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:38 pm 

I think that it would have been so much cooler if the aliens were martians. It could have really showed how up ourselves us earthlings are to assume there is no intelligent life on mars just because we've taken afew dust samples with robots. Wouldn't it be great to think and bloody scary also that there are martians hiding in caves and caverns on the surface of Mars. It could have made the movie a little closer to home after all that's what Well's was aiming for wasn't it? Furthermore one of the scariest WOTW moments ids the epilogue in Wayne's musical when NASA astronauts seemingly disappear. I remember listening to that in the car when I was small and not sleeping for weeks thinking that the Martians were still out there! (That's why I had issues Mr Curate!)<br /><br />The one saving grace that this film is offering is that the tripods are going to be in it. And not because of the 'retro' factor but because they were in the book. For me the defining moment of any of these films is how they have interpreted the tripods in the book. But I have to say the CGI test for Wayne's tripod is bloody brilliant especially as that's the image that most of us will have had in our heads all this time?<br /><br />Mr Burton :alien5:

"We've gone on holiday by mistake....."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:40 pm 

Just read my last post and just to make it clear I don't actually think there is life on Mars. I'm not 7 years old. Oh what the hell- there could be couldn't there?<br /><br /> :alien5:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:58 pm 

Okey Dokey Leper............The reason i say they are 'bastardising' WOTW is they are jumping on the back of a wonderful,imagintive story to put forward their version of events.Its like.H G Wells has given us this book......fresh,new,never been done before sort of thing and i think its sad and unfair to the man who laid the foundations of brilliant Sci-Fi only to have people 'jump' on it for a lift to try and emulate their own greatness.In my eyes Leper,when a great piece of written work is given,the very least we can do is to stay true to it.I really do believe that Spielbergs film is going to be superb and very entertaining.I,ve said this before that if Mr Spielberg had done the book....Wow...it scares me to think what would have been coming our way.He is without a doubt,i think,the greatest film maker of all time and i have been lucky enough to have been an extra in one of his films.Because this book has left such an impression on my mind,i think is the reason why i'm so defensive of a film offering.If Pendragon had decided to do their own version instead of 'staying true'(which nearly happend),i would have been a little bitter to them too.Theres been that many films over the years and re-makes of those films that up until now,no-one has even bothered a serious attempt at doing what i refer to as 'our' book.what is it now..........106 years old.Theres people(thousands of em!)i bet who have read this book who are now in the graveyard and never got to see any undertaking of a true film of the book.We are here and now,living and we've got it coming our way.Yes,Leper,i may sound very dramatic mate(after all,its only a story isnt it?)but thats the grip the book and its text has had on me and i think you too.After all the bitching and ranting that i do Leper on this forum,its only because of one thing my friend...............I want our book and not for the want of trying to be more flexible................nothing else will suffice......! :blush:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:06 pm 

Well said sir. I got a 'D' in my english A level because instead of reading Pride and Prejudice I concentrated my years study on the BBC dramatisation. If I had read the book I would have known that there was no double wedding at the end and that Mr Darcy did not jump into his private lake. I think the film should echo the book exactly so that if ever HG Wells' masterpiece was an A level text then lazy students like I once was can rely on the film to pass thier exams. Though there is a mega difference between Wells' genius and Austin's mind numbingness.<br /><br />Mr Burton :alien5:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:37 pm 
Tripod King

dont take it personally Curate im not having ago, im not a fan of Speilbergs film at all. But in fairness you didnt give any reasons why the film is not a good enough offering. Examples man! evidence! i myself go on what is known rather than just generally saying its disloyal to the book without something behind it.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:48 pm 

It would appear i posted at an inopportune moment. I disrupted a conversation between Leper and the Curate. However, I feel i made some valid points and so i would like to pat myself on the back. Well done me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:57 am 

:) You know Leper,i was thinking last night about what i wrote in reply to your post and i think you are probebly right mate.I thourght i was giving reasons against Mr Spielbergs production and then i realised that i don't really have any.I think my outbursts against paramounts version is purely out of passion for the original novel.I would say that my defense for the novel is done blindly because i hate to see any 'add ons' or expansion further of the story.Strange that one........it feels like what i want to do is leave WOTW where it ends in the book and like some sort of 'gatekeeper' forbid anyone to take it further because its so bloody perfect as it is to me.I think a better comparison would be like this..............The Curates a Rotweiler with this tasty bone,its my bone and i'll growl at anyone who wants to take it.Cheers Leper for making me use my brain(just for a change) :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:29 am 

:alien5:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:42 am 

*goes crosseyed from the arguements*<br /><br />...oi...<br /><br />*rethinks about making a "Blair Witch Project" like story about WotW in the present time*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:25 pm 
Martian War Lord

War of the Worlds is in essence about an invasion of Earth from Mars. So changing the Martians to some other extraterrestrail changes the character of the peice. It's like doing Dracula and not having him from Transilvania and having him from Liverpool instead or taking Sherlock Homes and changing him to a french man. Taking Captain america and having him origionate from Germany.<br />The Film will no doubt be a spectacular romp but it won't be War of the Worlds as it should be. <br />The problem is in setting it now. Cylanders don't work, so they have to be "Already Here." Which is just anonther story basically. Speilberg should have just come up with his own alien invasion story and nodded to an influence to War of the Worlds. But like Heinz or Addidas, War of the Worlds is a brand that will garuantee bums on seets. My Dad will go nand see it because, it's "War of the Worlds," where as he wouldn't go and see "Independance Day."<br />

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:45 pm 

I completely agree with you Loz, its a crock of SH*T. War or the Worlds = Martians. I bet the tagline "There already here" is some sort of Taliban war thingy, were the first think they are alien invaders then it turns out be Bin Laden. :bunda: Thats what I think

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:06 am 

-_- 'There already here!Nope,nope and er...........(after mulling it over for 4 seconds)....nope.Taliban in tripods.....'av it' :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:47 pm 
Martian War Lord

Love it! The Martian's were inside the hoods, or is that Turbans?

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:44 pm 

No martians? surely a lot of the terror,suspence and believability of wotw comes from the close proximity of mars to earth and the ease with which the imagination can make the leap from science fiction to science fact.<br />I really dont think that changing that very vital ingredient to the story is a very good idea.

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:34 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Martian Myster The New Master+Feb 15 2005, 05:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martian Myster The New Master @ Feb 15 2005, 05:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I completely agree with you Loz, its a crock of SH*T. War or the Worlds = Martians. I bet the tagline "There already here" is some sort of Taliban war thingy, were the first think they are alien invaders then it turns out be Bin Laden.  :bunda:  Thats what I think<br />[right][snapback]976[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />I think a lot of people are gowing to be eating crow once this movie isout. That's what I think :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:42 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-The Curate+Feb 14 2005, 10:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Curate @ Feb 14 2005, 10:07 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->:bunda: Sorry Mr 'Have it your own way' Spielberg.This film or should i say 'Independance Day Part Two' will have the same effect on me as a broken down washing machine..........it just won't wash matey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!P.E.N.D.R.A.G.O.N.......mmmmmmmmm!!!(the way forward)<br />[right][snapback]859[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />from what i've seen of it, I doubt Pendragon will go very far.Not much in there that will appeal to the big crowd. And what they've put out so far has failed to impress me. Sorry, just a personal opinion. Maybe i'll watch it some day. when it's out on DVD ;)

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next