Home Page Home Page  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:33 pm 
Martian War Lord

That's true, but what if the English people fight furiously back with their new-found technology?

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:58 pm 
Tripod King

Its probable that one of the two scenarios would happen:

1) After the invasion of Earth, the World would come together to rebuild everything that had been destroyed. The Economy would plummit, but would rise again because everyone worked together, to create a Golden Age of Prosperity. The Martian technologies, (Heat Ray, Black Dust, etc) would be stolen from their wrecked machines and used for protection against them. The Martian body would be examined to find their strengths and weaknesses. Every culture would forget their differences and work together to protect everyone from the Common enemy, (The Martians). In the Space Age, humanity would install defence mechanisms orbiting the planet, using the Heat Rays stolen from the Martians. (They would be more advanced after nearly a hundred years of research and upgrades.), advanced telescopes watching Mars for any sign of threatening Martian activity. :)

Or, 2)

The World would rebuild its own countries, and their would be a race to develop the new 'Heat Ray'. Countries would fight each other with the new Martian heat rays and Black Dust, and humanity would be weakened further. (its then probable that the Martians would attack again) :(

There are three types of people in this World. Those who can count, and those who can't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:59 pm 
Martian War Lord

If you read the end of the book You will see that we try to use the Martian technology but with nasty results :a103: :a009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:00 pm 

Lonesome Crow wrote:
I posted in another thread a while back, that after the war with the Martians England would be so weak that other countrys around the world would invade to get their hands on all this lovely new technology, they would descend like vultures [-(

But there is much time between the Deaths of the Martians, and the rest of the world finding out about it. The English would have time to hide some of the fighting machines and stip the others over the equipment before their enemies could swoop in. And at the same time, they could hide all evidence of the bacterial death of the Martians, allowing them to hold the other nations in fear of annother invasion which the English are certain will never come. Thirdly, they cover up their research by staging a few 'accidents' during their experiments which officlaily destroy all their remaining samples. (Like the HeatRay explosion that was mentioned near the end of the book) If they're creafty enough, those English can hold out long enough to keep things quiet.

Civilization Fanatics Forum

Friends, meet Moskau-Man:
Add him to your signature, to help spread joy arround the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:06 pm 
Tripod King

True. Yet, that could possibly lead to a scenario number 2!

Also, I think the term you're looking for is British.. :)

There are three types of people in this World. Those who can count, and those who can't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:23 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yuri2356 wrote:
Thirdly, they cover up their research by staging a few 'accidents' during their experiments which officlaily destroy all their remaining samples. (Like the HeatRay explosion that was mentioned near the end of the book) If they're creafty enough, those English can hold out long enough to keep things quiet.

That would mean fibbing, :a103: We Brits don't do that [-( It's not the done thing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:29 pm 
Tripod King

Yeah.. We don't lie.. Of course not.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:33 pm 
Martian War Lord

You see Sam agrees with me :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:40 pm 
Martian War Lord

And I'll agree with that too! :wink:

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:52 pm 

Sam wrote:
True. Yet, that could possibly lead to a scenario number 2!

Also, I think the term you're looking for is British.. :)

What, you think they'd let the scots or Welsh in on this? And Ireland wasn't even scratched! The Martians were all after England.
Quote:
That would mean fibbing, We Brits don't do that It's not the done thing

But of Course, I would never accuse the British of lying... 8-[

Civilization Fanatics Forum

Friends, meet Moskau-Man:
Add him to your signature, to help spread joy arround the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:06 pm 
Tripod King

Yeah, but still, we were Great Britain 100 years ago, we were still the same country. It's not like we have different armed forces etc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:52 am 
Martian War Lord

That,s what United Kingdom means, UNITED; make or become an intergrated whole :D
I live in England, My Father lives in Scotland And I have visited Wales (and I'm still alive) But I have never been to Ireland :-k but I'm sure it's very nice. 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:45 pm 
Tripod King

Lonesome Crow wrote:
If you read the end of the book You will see that we try to use the Martian technology but with nasty results :a103: :a009:

Indeed, the Narrator says:

'Neither is the composition of the Black Smoke known, which the Martians used with such deadly effect, and the generator of the Heat-Rays remains a puzzle. The terrible disasters at the Ealing and South Kensington laboratories have disinclined analysts for further investigations upon the latter.'

And remeber, the novel purports to have been written six years after the invasion.

However, immediately after the death of the Martians, we read:

'It was the placard of the first newspaper to resume publication--the Daily Mail. I bought a copy for a blackened shilling I found in my pocket. Most of it was in blank, but the solitary compositor who did the thing had amused himself by making a grotesque scheme of advertisement stereo on the back page. The matter he printed was emotional; the news organisation had not as yet found its way back. I learned nothing fresh except that already in one week the examination of the Martian mechanisms had yielded astonishing results. Among other things, the article assured me what I did not believe at the time, that the "Secret of Flying," was discovered.'

There is nothing in the Epilogue to suggest that Britain has fallen to foreign aggressors. Indeed, I wouldn't expect it to as the Royal Navy was quite untouched by the War, and the Navy was Britain's main defence then.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:01 pm 
Martian War Lord

A couple of very good points =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:15 pm 
Tripod King

Having said that, the report about the discovery of the Secret of Flying was in the Daily Mail, and we all know how accurate that is... :wink:

I expect the Mail's wartime headlines would have been something like

MARTIANS LAND IN SURREY!
House prices tumble!
Why oh why won't Blair do something about these Martian immigrants?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:35 pm 
Martian War Lord

They're too powerful of he finds them very useful, perhaps? :-s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:41 pm 
Martian War Lord

I would say that although most of the Londoners were suffocated or made into refugees. We could recover very quckly, all our natural recourses would still be intact. Our neighbouring countries would have simply offered help and wanted knowledge. We would have had little success with the Martian gadgets. The fighting machines and handling machines for instance would have been built for inteligences posssessing sixteen flexible fingers to drive them.
However Wells tells us that the British, and it is the British, sus out the flying machine. So with the power of flight at our disposal, and the ability to reproduce it, then the British empire would have been unbeatable. You have to assume, spies would gradually alow other countries to grasp the power of flight, (Which is obviously more than an aeroplane) but the historyv woud be different. The first world war being a walk over for the brits, or not started at all for fear of an easy loss to the new Anglican weapons.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:57 pm 
Martian War Lord

Good theory there, Loz. But what about Hitler and his maniacal idea's? (referring to WO II).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:59 pm 
Martian War Lord

Hitler got into power on the back of the Germans losing World War One. So I don't think Hitler would come to power in the world after the Martian failure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:01 pm 
Martian War Lord

But what if he still sought for such things?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:04 pm 
Martian War Lord

He might seek but Hitler was a product of his time. Everything fell into place to allow him and the Nazis to gain such controle over the German people. Germany was in a terrible state after the 1st World War. The Nazis used this to get into power.

Perhaps in a world after the invasion had failed it would be Britain who produced a Hitler like leader who tries to take over the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:12 pm 
Martian War Lord

Well, I doubt that. The British people are more kindful than some others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:13 pm 
Martian War Lord

We are no kinder than the Germans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

Oh, come on, gimme a break! I've been to London for a week, and the people were very kind there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:34 pm 
Tripod King

There are always good and bad people in one country, whether its the UK, Germany, Holland, France, everywhere!

Its unfair to say that the Germans are an unkind people. My grandma told me a story about a German bomber who had been sent to bomb the town that she lived in. However, he had lived and worked there, and knew the people of the town, so instead of bombing the town (It was a big industrial town), he dropped the bombs on the mountain to avoid anyone getting hurt..

And there were bad people on the allied forces - Collaborators for example. And in the Netherlands, look at the people who ratted out the Frank family in Amsterdam...

Back to the topic, it is likely that none of the wars would have taken place, and Hitler probably would have rather defeated the Martians than the European powers lol

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next