View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 15 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:18 am 
Martian War Lord

FROM : <a href='http://www.comingsoon.net/news/waroftheworldsnews.php?id=8270' target='_blank'>Comingsoon.net</a><br /><br />20th Century Fox has called off what was the summer's highest-profile head-to-head opening battle by pushing the release of Fantastic Four back a week to July 8, reports Variety.<br /><br />That clears the Fourth of July holiday frame for Paramount and DreamWorks' War of the Worlds, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise. The film, which received a Super Bowl TV spot, will be released on Wednesday, June 29, giving it a six-day opening run through Independence Day on the following Monday.<br />

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:59 pm 

Nice! And before anyone starts bringing up Independence Day just remember ID4 took place around july 4th and so far as we know WOTW's doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:19 pm 

I was looking forward to a Fantastic Four movie, but mounting evidence suggests that it sucks. (And the studio knows it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:16 pm 
Tripod King

theyre not doing very well at convincing anyone this isnt going to be a wishy washy america wins in the end hooray type job rather than the crushing annihilation of a society that thinks itself invincible, utterly unable to stop the invaders that WOTW is. i doubt Speilberg is likely to show America unable to stop the aliens in the end, and especially not on a fourth of july release.<br /><br />*flashes back to first mental image of film with Tom Cruise leaping in slow motion between tripods, loaded up with bioweapons, impaling a Martian on an American flag*

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:33 pm 
Martian War Lord

MORE INFO ON THE SUBJECT FROM : <a href='http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,15877,00.html?tnews' target='_blank'>EOnline.com</a><br /><br />What was shaping up to be a Fantastic face-off between two summer blockbusters has turned out to be nothing more than a close encounter of the movie-studio kind. <br /><br />Despite staking out the usually lucrative Fourth of July holiday first, 20th Century Fox has confirmed it's postponing the release of Fantastic Four, its superhero movie adapted from the Marvel comic book, from July 1 to July 8--ceding Independence Day weekend to a Martian invader--the Steven Spielberg-Tom Cruise update of H.G. Wells' sci-fi classic The War of the Worlds. That film is scheduled to unspool Wednesday, June 29. <br /><br />A showdown between the two high-profile projects had been in the offing since last August, when Paramount announced it was moving up production on War after Spielberg and Cruise cleared their calendars to work together on what's as close to a surefire box-office hit as they come--a big-budget alien-invasion epic, from the man who brought moviegoers 1977's UFO tale Close Encounters of the Third Kind (and a host of other blockbusters), starring one of Tinseltown's most bankable actors. <br /><br />Not even four superheroes could thwart that kind of monster, so it's easy to see why Fox blinked. Just don't tell that to studio executives. <br /><br />"We are not running from War of the Worlds," Fox distribution head Bruce Snyder said, presumably with a straight face, to the Hollywood Reporter. "This [new] date just works better for us." <br /><br />The Fantastic Four, starring Michael Chiklis, Jessica Alba and Ioan Gruffudd, follows the adventures of a dysfunctional team of astronauts who gain superhuman powers after being exposed to radiation when their space voyage goes awry. Chiklis plays the rock-like Thing, Alba plays the Invisible Woman, Iaon Gruffud plays elastic team leader Mr. Fantastic, and Chris Evans plays the Human Torch. Nip/Tuck's Julian McMahon is their nemesis, Dr. Doom. <br /><br />Fox announced its intentions for a Fantastic Fourth way back in 2003. But that was before Cruise's third Mission: Impossible movie stalled, giving him a chance to ramp up working with his Minority Report director. Spielberg in turn shelved plans for his long-in-development drama about the terrorist attack at the 1972 Munich Olympics. <br /><br />As recently as last month, Fox was sticking with a July 1 release for Fantastic Four, even including a trailer with the studio's Elektra that played on the Independence Day release. ("On...July...Fourth...4th...5 people...will be changed...forever...4 ever. 1 will be bad...4 will be...fantastic.") <br /><br />However, the stakes were raised when Paramount premiered its own 30-second teaser for War of the Worlds during Sunday's Super Bowl. <br /><br />The move should help protect Fantastic Four from getting blown away, especially since its pedigree doesn't match War's. The superhero flick has a largely unknown cast--Alba's the biggest name--and a relatively untested director in Tim Story, whose previous credits include two comedies--the 2002 box-office surprise Barbershop and last year's woeful Taxi. <br /><br />Fantastic Four now goes up against Sony's Bewitched, starring Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell, and Universal's thriller, Skeleton Key, with Kate Hudson. <br /><br />Fox will now counter the onslaught of War of the Worlds with Roll Bounce on July 1 in Fantastic's place. The comedy features pint-sized rapper Bow Wow. <br /><br />Fox isn't the only studio doing the Hollywood shuffle. <br /><br />Sony has also pushed back the debut of its Jim Carrey-Téa Leoni comedy remake Fun with Dick and Jane from June 25 to Dec. 21, according to the Hollywood Reporter, to try to repeat the success of Meet the Fockers, which grossed $70 million-plus over Christmas week with a cumulative haul that now stands at $265 million. <br /><br />

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:22 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 8 2005, 07:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 8 2005, 07:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->They're not doing very well at convincing anyone this isn't going to be an America wins in the end hooray type job, rather than the crushing annihilation of a society that thinks itself invincible, utterly unable to stop the invaders that WOTW is. I doubt Spielberg is likely to show America unable to stop the aliens in the end, and especially not with a Fourth of July release.<br />[right][snapback]645[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />My thoughts exactly. Although my hopes for the Paramount film have risen slightly, with the confirmed inclusion of the Red Weed, and rumoured appearances by tripods, I still believe that this movie will inevitably end up being closer to Independence Day than anything truly resembling Wells' novel.<br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:45 pm 

personally i can't wait for any of the wotw movies, i've waited a long time for ANYTHING to happen on the movie front so for now i will reserve judgement and if the paramount version is a turkey then i will be dissapointed at another wasted opportunity but for now i will wait and see......

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:53 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-eveofthewar+Feb 8 2005, 10:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eveofthewar @ Feb 8 2005, 10:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br /><br />H.G. Wells' sci-fi classic The War of the Worlds.<br />[right][snapback]657[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Well its nice to see theyr'e still calling it an H.G. Wells' sci-fi classic :P before you know it, it will be the novel based on the Spielberg film :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:59 pm 

I wonder if we'll get action figures and lunchboxes, my kids would love that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:17 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Feb 9 2005, 08:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Feb 9 2005, 08:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I wonder if we'll get action figures and lunchboxes, my kids would love that...<br />[right][snapback]685[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />"Your kids would love that...?" :P You mean you would love it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:20 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 9 2005, 08:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 9 2005, 08:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well its nice to see theyr'e still calling it an H.G. Wells' sci-fi classic :P  before you know it, it will be the novel based on the Spielberg film :D<br />[right][snapback]684[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> :o How dare you say such blamphemous comments.You know what,your right........didn't H.G Wells base his novel on the new Spielberg film....yes yes ...that must be it. :D

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:49 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Feb 9 2005, 09:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Feb 9 2005, 09:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I wonder if we'll get action figures and lunchboxes[/quote]<br /><br />Count on it. <br /><br />I have friends who are toy fanatics. As soon as I hear about any action figures, model sets, or other merchandise, I'll post here - if Lee doesn't beat me to it. He's definitely got his finger on the Martian pulse.<br /><br /><br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:07 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-The Curate+Feb 10 2005, 10:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Curate @ Feb 10 2005, 10:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->:o How dare you say such blamphemous comments.You know what,your right........didn't H.G Wells base his novel on the new Spielberg film....yes yes ...that must be it. :D<br />[right][snapback]711[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />You see, Spielberg's lawyers will say "Mr Wells,used his Time Machine to come to the future, steal the story and return to 1898 " and you know what they would probably win <_<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:05 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Fenris+Feb 10 2005, 08:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fenris @ Feb 10 2005, 08:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Count on it. <br /><br />I have friends who are toy fanatics. As soon as I hear about any action figures, model sets, or other merchandise, I'll post here - if Lee doesn't beat me to it. He's definitely got his finger on the Martian pulse.<br />[right][snapback]752[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I try my best mate!!!

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:23 pm 

Actually i was being sarcastic...

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 15 posts ]