View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 13 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Dune
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:28 am 
Martian War Lord

After WOTW, Dune, by FranK Herbert is my favourite book, and its sequals. So rich with imagination, the human race tens of thousands of years from now, is a true sci fi classic. The way the known universe is carved up between the Emporer, the Landsraad, and the Spacing Guild to form an unstable political tripod is very clever. Like Lord of the Rings the book is steaped in a created history, which is complex and totally beleivable.
The Spice must flow.

The Film by David Lynch failded to bring much of the books deep meanings or Relgious and political philosaphys to life. It looked great and had some inspired performances but totally missed the mark in the storytelling. I actually have a four hour edit of it. Which still can't get everything in. It was a flop of course.

The Mini series was pretty awful. Bad casting and acting. But it followed the story more closely. Some of the costumes were great and som looked tacky.

The recent prequals written By Brain Herbert and Kevin J Anderson, are fun to read, but have messed up with continuity.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:52 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yes they are great books, but I found it hard to believe they hadn't associated the spice with the worms, where did they think it came from?
I also have the SCI FI CHANNEL'S mini series and it's sequel 'Children of Dune'.
The actor who played 'Gurney Halleck' put in one of the worst performances I have ever seen, but then again I haven't seen Pendragon's WOTW yet :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:40 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
The actor who played 'Gurney Halleck' put in one of the worst performances I have ever seen, but then again I haven't seen Pendragon's WOTW yet :lol:

Good God he was so bad. Didn't he have a cockney accent? Pendragon acting is actually worse though. Which seems impossable really. There are whole new dimensions of bad acting being opened to us in the worlds of Sci Fi.

The guy who played Baron Harkonnen was awful too. Just miscast more than anything.

I think the thing about the Spice and Worms was known by the Fremen and the planetolagist had fallen in with them, so together they held the knowledge back from the Empire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:24 am 
Tripod King

I agree about Gurney, both about his poor acting, and the fact that it still outshone the acting in Hinesy Boy's magnificent octopus!

I liked Ian McNiece as Baron H, though. Horses for courses, as they say.

Have you got 'The Dune Encyclopedia' by Dr. Willis E. McNelly? Fascinating look into the world of Dune, purporting to have been written long after the events in Dune itself... There are fun references to our own times and recent history, distorted by the intervening tens of thousands of years of future history (for example, the discovery of atomics is explained as being due to the work of the 'raw mentat' Einstein, working for 'House Washington'; Stalin's USSR during the Cold War soon after is referred to as 'House Steel').

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:21 pm 
Martian War Lord

No I know about it but have never seen it for sale anywhere. It was aproved by Herbert himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:34 pm 
Tripod King

It may be out of print. I got mine years ago.

If you see it, you ought to pick it up (as long as it's not expensive).

http://www.bookfinder.com is very good for secondhand books.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:33 am 

Dune the film rocks. Dnne the series(all) is garbage. Dune the books brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:21 am 

Gurney was played by Patrick Stewart and was as I had imagined Gurney to be from the books. As for Sting, phoar! :a049:

The series deviated too far from the books for my liking. I think, especially with the Children of Dune, there could have been more cohesion to the book than there was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:57 pm 
Martian War Lord

They also jumped straight to book three 'Children of Dune' missing out the second book 'Dune Messiah' [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:14 am 
Martian War Lord

anyone reading the new Dune stuff. I'm enbjoying them. The final chapter that Frank didn't finish is out now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:31 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
anyone reading the new Dune stuff. I'm enbjoying them. The final chapter that Frank didn't finish is out now.

I have downloaded a load of Dune books by Brian Herbert, Kevin J Anderson and some one else who I can't recall the name of at the moment, all in MP3 formats (audio books) but I haven't go around to listening to them yet, plus I want to get them in the correct order.
Are they any good? and how do they compare to Frank's work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:57 am 
Martian War Lord

I think they are amazing. More action led than Frank's origionals. You read the 3 preludes first. House harkonnen, House Atredies, House Chorrino, then the three Butlarian Jihad ones, set ten thousand years ealrier, then the two set after all the Dune books. The last of which has just come out, which I'm reading right now and ties up all the stories. It was the one Frank didn't get to write because he died.

I highly recomend them all. And maybe reading the last two Dune books, Heratics and Chapterhouse to get you in the mood for the finale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:07 pm 
Martian War Lord

Thanks for that Loz, there's a couple of titles I haven't got yet so I'll go and look for them Cheers. :D

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 13 posts ]