A forum for all 'War Of The Worlds' fans
Home Page Home Page Home Page Home Page
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 6 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: There vampires but for the wrong reason now.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:39 am 

Spoiler warning.

In his original story H G wells had the aliens with no digestive system, hence they needed to be vampires to drain nutrients from blood directly. H G wells reasoned that the aliens were basically just super evolved brains. Just as humans are now required to cook our food since our digestive system is starting to lack he figured the aliens would be so far ahead they woulden't have stomachs or intestants.

Speilberg still has the Aliens as Vampires but apparently for a differen't reason. Speilbergs aliens are slightly humanoid and clearly have teeth suggesting they contain a digestive track or at the very least eat their food. Its not all that obvious why but it seems the Aliens are useing blood as furtaliser for the red weed, impling that the weed is is red because of blood.

At any rate were stuck with bizare vampire aliens that parked their war machines a long time ago but for somereason wait untill now to beam them selves into the ground via lightnin, Where they start planting little weeds every were. I'm not sure why the film took this approach.

Post subject: Re: There vampires but for the wrong reason now.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:07 pm 
Martian War Lord

crc32 wrote:
Spoiler warning.

In his original story H G wells had the aliens with no digestive system, hence they needed to be vampires to drain nutrients from blood directly. H G wells reasoned that the aliens were basically just super evolved brains. Just as humans are now required to cook our food since our digestive system is starting to lack he figured the aliens would be so far ahead they woulden't have stomachs or intestants.

Speilberg still has the Aliens as Vampires but apparently for a differen't reason. Speilbergs aliens are slightly humanoid and clearly have teeth suggesting they contain a digestive track or at the very least eat their food. Its not all that obvious why but it seems the Aliens are useing blood as furtaliser for the red weed, impling that the weed is is red because of blood.

I think the idea is that the red weed is their food source or part of their food chain, or part of climate change process.

It is unlikely that the aliens would be able to use our blood in the way Wells describes. Back then they didn't no about blood groups. And transfusions need the same group to be successful. They didn't even know that in the Second World War.

So its a part of the story that a modern audiance might not accept. Something the critics could jump on. So they changed it a little but still kept the horror of the action.

If they had stuck to Victorian setting you could get away with and indeed embrace all the outdated ideas and make it part of the style of the film.

At any rate were stuck with bizare vampire aliens that parked their war machines a long time ago but for somereason wait untill now to beam them selves into the ground via lightnin, Where they start planting little weeds every were. I'm not sure why the film took this approach.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:21 pm 

Loz wrote:
crc32 wrote:
Spoiler warning.

I think the idea is that the red weed is their food source or part of their food chain, or part of climate change process.

It is unlikely that the aliens would be able to use our blood in the way Wells describes. Back then they didn't no about blood groups. And transfusions need the same group to be successful. They didn't even know that in the Second World War.

So its a part of the story that a modern audiance might not accept. Something the critics could jump on. So they changed it a little but still kept the horror of the action.

If they had stuck to Victorian setting you could get away with and indeed embrace all the outdated ideas and make it part of the style of the film.

I didn't realize wells was reffering to actual transfusion. I though he had the Aliens useing blood because they had overly simplified digestive systens that were only capable of drawing nutriants from already living blood cells. I woulden't expect the aliens to bother with blod groups as they didn't have an immune system in the wells story. I'm not sure it shows what they aliens in the movie actually eat and drink? I see them playing with stuff but not really eating.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:22 am 
Martian War Lord

crc32 wrote:
Loz wrote:
crc32 wrote:
Spoiler warning.

I didn't realize wells was reffering to actual transfusion. I though he had the Aliens useing blood because they had overly simplified digestive systens that were only capable of drawing nutriants from already living blood cells. I woulden't expect the aliens to bother with blod groups as they didn't have an immune system in the wells story. I'm not sure it shows what they aliens in the movie actually eat and drink? I see them playing with stuff but not really eating.

I'd say that that is what he is suggesting. Either way the blood of the humans ends up directly in the vains of the martians, passes through their hearts and brains and has to do ther same job as ours.

Anyway here is the passage about it -

They were heads — merely heads. Entrails they had none. They did not eat, much less digest. Instead, they took the fresh, living blood of other creatures, and INJECTED it into their own veins. I have myself seen this being done, as I shall mention in its place. But, squeamish as I may seem, I cannot bring myself to describe what I could not endure even to continue watching. Let it suffice to say, blood obtained from a still living animal, in most cases from a human being, was run directly by means of a little pipette into the recipient canal. . . .

The bare idea of this is no doubt horribly repulsive to us, but at the same time I think that we should remember how repulsive our carnivorous habits would seem to an intelligent rabbit.

The physiological advantages of the practice of injection are undeniable, if one thinks of the tremendous waste of human time and energy occasioned by eating and the digestive process. Our bodies are half made up of glands and tubes and organs, occupied in turning heterogeneous food into blood. The digestive processes and their reaction upon the nervous system sap our strength and colour our minds. Men go happy or miserable as they have healthy or unhealthy livers, or sound gastric glands. But the Martians were lifted above all these organic fluctuations of mood and emotion.

It seems unlikely that this would be viable with our modern knowledge of biology. We could not use the blood of say a monkey in this way, so it seems unlikey an extra terrestrial could either.

For me though it doesn't matter, in fact the dated ideas in War of the Worlds are partly what makes it a special book for me.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:31 am 

ummmm i decided to read the book again and ummmm im quite sure that it says the red weeds how mars gets its colour....... sooo the martians have humans/animals on mars that they spray all the time? nope methinks paramount screwed up.

I'm gon' do, what I do,
I'm gon' say, what I say,
I'm gon' live how I live - how do you want a Wigga to live?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:02 am 
Martian War Lord

Why screwed up? Speilberg never said he was following the book word for word. And yes the Martians did have humanoid creatures on Mars. but the Martians didn't spray them, they injected the humanoid's blood into their own bodys. I'm fairly sure Speilberg would have known this, he just added another twist to the story, one that didn't look like something out of a Dracula story, that plot line would have worked 100 years ago but these days it would have come across a bit cheesy :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 6 posts ]