A forum for all 'War Of The Worlds' fans
Home Page Home Page Home Page Home Page
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 4 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Start, end and aliens (spoilers)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:47 pm 

At the start and end you have a narrarator (is it Freeman?). Did it anoy anyone how the script was so not how it was in the book/Jeffs version? i had to keep correcting it i was pissed. Also what in gods name did Speilberg mean when he said there was an ending different to the book? as far as i see the endings the same.

Also the aliens were too damn small should be Bear sized.

I'm gon' do, what I do,
I'm gon' say, what I say,
I'm gon' live how I live - how do you want a Wigga to live?

Post subject: Re: Start, end and aliens (spoilers)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:09 pm 
Martian War Lord

Madbadger wrote:
At the start and end you have a narrarator (is it Freeman?). Did it anoy anyone how the script was so not how it was in the book/Jeffs version? i had to keep correcting it i was pissed. Also what in gods name did Speilberg mean when he said there was an ending different to the book? as far as i see the endings the same.

Also the aliens were too damn small should be Bear sized.

Two answere your last question first, I think that he put that out so that when you saw it you didn't know what would happen at the end. So you still had that wonder. Bit lame really.

As for the opening bit being different to Jeff Wayne's, well if he'd have copied that then that would be plagerising and Jeff would rightly sue.
As for being different to the book, that's natural I think because the origional has the rythm and speach of Victorian times and this was after all an update.
I just don't know why he felt the need to get Morgan Freeman to do it. Just an unknown actor who he could give some work to who had a great voice would have been better and fairer.

As for the aliens, they'd gone for something totally different to the discription in the book, so why keep the size the same?

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:10 pm 
Tripod King

it was close enough, and set the scene just fine and that was all that really mattered. The end is screwed up enough anyway that inaccuracies in the voiceover are the least of its worries.

As for the Aliens, they hardly stuck to the books description otherwise so the size doesnt matter that much either.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:30 pm 

(Note: I've been off the forum for a few months, so apologises if the points I raise below have already been expressed by others. I haven't had time to read all the numerous posts that have been made while I was away.)

Regarding the opening narration, I think Morgan Freeman was a mistake. Nothing personal against him, he's a great actor, but his voice is calm and reassuring as opposed to the combination of awe and menace that was required. Anthony Hopkins would have been a better choice.

As for the design of the aliens, I thought they looked almost identical to the aliens in The Arrival, an under-rated and overlooked sci-fi thriller released in 1996 (there was later a direct-to-video sequel, The Second Arrival, that I've not seen). But the CGI in The Arrival was much better.

The bazooka ending? It wouldn't be a modern Hollywood movie if an American didn't shoot or blow something up.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 4 posts ]