A forum for all 'War Of The Worlds' fans
Home Page Home Page Home Page Home Page
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 25 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 'War of the Worlds 2'... Dakota Seems to Think So!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:39 pm 
Martian War Lord

Scooper Milk Duds writes in something to tease us uber-fans of Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds (review #1, #2), which vaporized filmgoers this weekend and raked in a whopping $100 thus far. Duds writes, "I just saw an interview with Dakota Fanning on Larry King, who said there will definitely be a sequel to "War of the Worlds," 'I bet we do! I bet we do!' she smiled, as if knowing something, 'I can't wait. I don't know when it'll be, but it will be even scarier... this movie was so much fun. I love Tom.'" Take it for what it's worth, but I highly doubt Spielberg would ever return if a sequel were ever made.

SOURCE

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:26 am 
Martian War Lord

Quote:
a whopping $100 thus far.

Thats not much is it, $100 :D

Good to hear there may be a sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:42 pm 
Martian War Lord

There won't be a sequal. I'll bet on it. I certainly hope not. The story is told. Any next part to the story would not involve living aliens. So what would be the point.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:48 pm 
Martian War Lord

I second that. In the end of Wells' book the War has ended anyway...

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:51 pm 
Martian War Lord

oever532 wrote:
I second that. In the end of Wells' book the War has ended anyway...

Yes that war ends but even Wells suggested another attack in the last chapter
Quote:
A question of graver and universal interest is the possibility of another attack from the Martians. I do not think that nearly enough attention is being given to this aspect of the matter. At present the planet Mars is in conjunction, but with every return to opposition I, for one, anticipate a renewal of their adventure. In any case, we should be prepared. It seems to me that it should be possible to define the position of the gun from which the shots are discharged, to keep a sustained watch upon this part of the planet, and to anticipate the arrival of the next attack.
Thats why I like sequels, Wells left the story wide open for one and there have been some good ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:59 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yes but he never wrote a sequal because it would be inferior to the origional. there is no where to go with the story other than repeat what has already happened with some new techs and twists. The impact has gone. There is no reason to do it and nothing to gain from it.You could do a sequal to ET or Close Encounters too but he didn't because there would be no point other than to make money.
Some stories can be continued this one can't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:42 am 
Martian War Lord

They continued 'Alien' and made 'Aliens' which was a much better film IMO
It doesn't always work, like with 'Jurassic Park' and 'The Lost World' but I thought 'Jurassic Park III' was as good as the first one.

I'm pretty sure there will be a sequel. I just hope someone can come up with a good story line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:52 am 
Tripod King

sequel eh? that would be a mistake to put it lightly

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:42 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
They continued 'Alien' and made 'Aliens' which was a much better film IMO
It doesn't always work, like with 'Jurassic Park' and 'The Lost World' but I thought 'Jurassic Park III' was as good as the first one.

I'm pretty sure there will be a sequel. I just hope someone can come up with a good story line.

Alien was something you could expand on because it was about one alien that you hardly saw, up against civilians on clostraphobic space craft. It wasn't an action movie but a horror film. The sequal, was an action movie with lots of aliens plus the queen, and soldiers, and was on a planet and not a space ship.

The end of alien is kinda left open for more -

I just don't think you can better War of the Worlds, sure you can come up with sequals but you can't better it or even do something as good.

Alls you can do is have them reinvade, and this time they've had their jabs and so this time we have to defeat them. Not good. [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:44 pm 
Martian War Lord

I second that, Loz.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:46 pm 
Martian War Lord

They didn't make a sequal to the 1953 one and that was a big hit, so the potential was there from a money making point of view but they didn't because you can't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:49 pm 
Martian War Lord

Wait a sec, they did made a sequel to the 1953 movie. Not as the movie if you mean it that way, but the 1988 - 1990 TV series were some kind of sequels to the 1953 movie. 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:53 pm 
Martian War Lord

Oh yeah, a long time later and in a different medium. And I absolutely hate that TV series. It is cheap TV. And a very bad idea all round. The whole thing just makes a mock of the film. They didn't really die they just went to sleep spoils a great demise. And everyone forgets that it ever happened. They destroyed all the major cities, the world economy would have collapesed. Millions would have died. We would still be rebuilding in 88 after such an invasion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:05 pm 
Martian War Lord

I agree. I liked the actions with the war machines in the movie, and all I know from summaries is that the aliens simply began to possess human bodies, rather than restarting their machines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:12 pm 

Loz wrote:
They didn't make a sequal to the 1953 one and that was a big hit, so the potential was there from a money making point of view but they didn't because you can't.

Well actually, from what I understand it took them awhile to see a profit from the film because it cost so much. I do agree though that it didn't make for obvious sequels.

I also agree about the TV series. It was like a lame gory retread of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:15 pm 
Martian War Lord

That the aliens in the tv-series took possession of humans reminded me og the Dragon Ball GT anime, in which a creature, the last surviving one of an ancient race far away, took possession of all the Earthlings by simply putting an egg in them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:59 pm 
Martian War Lord

The whole TV series was based on what a lot of old time sci fi stories are based on and that's -How bloody stupid we humans are.
After they seemingly die we just stick them in toxic waste drums and store them away and forget all about them.
That is sooooo unlikely. They would be stuffed and on show in museums across the globe anddissected by scientists. There machines would be on display as well as deconstructed by scientists to find out how they work etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:17 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yeah, an understanding of Martian technology should have helped a lot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:23 pm 
Martian War Lord

There are a lot of unanswered points that even 'Loz' has asked.
Why did they attack now? why did they bury their FMs a million years ago?
Consider this; Maybe they brought mankind to Earth a few million years ago and have been farming us. Maybe they buryed their machines when the human population only numbered a few thousand and planned to harvest us when we numbered in the billion. a violent attack to demoralize us and leave us staggering from the blow and then reap what they sowed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:34 pm 
Martian War Lord

the fm's may not have been buried millions of years ago. Ogilvy says that based on his own assumptions. They may have been buried thousands of years ago. They could have come in cylinders, which buruied themselves. They could have teleported moments before the aliens themselves beamed down.
However, the writer probably gave Ogilvy lines that suggested what he had himself reasoned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:38 am 
Tripod King

Regarding sequals, remember that "Independence Day" was a MUCH better film than this one, and they never did a sequal to it, undoubtedly for the same reason: The story's already been told in it's entirety.

About the only way a sequal would make sense would be if they showed a Martian invasion of Venus. Remember, at the end of Wells' novel, Martian cylinders were seen en route to that planet. Perhaps humans learned how to travel to other worlds after salvaging Martian equipment, and go to Venus on their own to help the locals. ("The enemy of my enemy is my friend.") Otherwise, forget it. Instead of a sequal, make another movie version of the great original, and do a proper job of it this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:03 am 
Martian War Lord

Right. But the CGI Movie of Jeff is still in the making, so I think that will be the best... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:23 pm 
Martian War Lord

Alland wrote:
Regarding sequals, remember that "Independence Day" was a MUCH better film than this one, and they never did a sequal to it, undoubtedly for the same reason: The story's already been told in it's entirety.

About the only way a sequal would make sense would be if they showed a Martian invasion of Venus. Remember, at the end of Wells' novel, Martian cylinders were seen en route to that planet. Perhaps humans learned how to travel to other worlds after salvaging Martian equipment, and go to Venus on their own to help the locals. ("The enemy of my enemy is my friend.") Otherwise, forget it. Instead of a sequal, make another movie version of the great original, and do a proper job of it this time.

You might think Independe Day was a MUCH better film but I don't. I think ID4 was completely unbeleivable. The special effect were fabulouse, but that's all it had going for it.
As for an Invasion of Venus. It's one of the most inhospitable planets in the system. If you or they landed there, we'd be crushed, boiled, corroded and poisoned within nano seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:52 pm 

oever532 wrote:
Right. But the CGI Movie of Jeff is still in the making, so I think that will be the best... :D

I second this very good point. At least we know that Mr Wayne is commited to the original storyline. Plus we are going to get to see moving images that scared the sh*t out of us when we were growing up. Judging by the CGI stuff coming from Mr Wayne on the site his film is going to really take the biscuit. NO PRESSURE!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:42 am 
Tripod King

After the disappointments of Spielberg's and Hines' films, all I can say is: YOU'D BETTER BE RIGHT, BUDDY!

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 25 posts ]