Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 13 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: War of the worlds...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:54 pm 

Will nukes be mentioned in this movie? Also, will the fact that Nasa knew about the Martian civilization be admitted int he film?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:11 am 
Martian War Lord

You really are fond of nukes, aren't you Xuxa?

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject: Re: War of the worlds...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:13 am 
Martian War Lord

Xuxa the White wrote:
Will nukes be mentioned in this movie? Also, will the fact that Nasa knew about the Martian civilization be admitted int he film?

Don't know about either question. But are you saying that part of the story has NASA knowing about the Martians?

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:01 pm 

Xuxa the White wrote:

Spoiler Warning................

No nukes. Or for that matter no real fighting between the army and the hexpods. The troops only fire riffles at the hexpods no tanks missles or bombs.

I liked the film but got really board of the "Why god why" crap that kept going on in the film. The film makes the assumption that most people are religous and will have their faith utterly destryoed in the "Face of calamity", when its usually the other way around. The film concentrated way too much on religous debate and left a good part of the movie very boring. The religous viewers will get bored (my self included )as they won't understand why characters in the film so easily drop into a coniption fit over god and why he's doing this, when most of us keep moving. We understand the cycle of birth and death and the even more the more morbid ones in our community are already expecting desaster and preach and prepare for it. The non religous crowed will get board as god is never even a question for them and they'll be sitting there wondering why so much time is being wasted even talking about God.

I think speilberg did well to leave this part out of his film. Even H G Wells didn't spend as much time on the interactions with the curate as much.

We lost a good chunk of the film to religous fussing, and the film kinda insulted both sides. This was a real drag on the film for me. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:06 pm 

Loz wrote:
Xuxa the White wrote:

Don't know about either question. But are you saying that part of the story has NASA knowing about the Martians?

Not sure were the Nasa question came in. No comment from the government is actually made during the film. This film seems to be just like the other three were we track the responses of either one man or one family fleeing the martion afvance. The only a refference to NASA was footage returning from the Mars rover to earth during the opening credits and it has no place in the story.

In following with the book no actual response from the government is heard. As the main character travles from town to town people are still confused as to whats going on. Most people in non attacked towns think terrorists while most don't know. One town seems to know something is wrong but are not evactuating and are actually going about their daily lives. I don't find this plausible as a media black out from certain parts of the country alone would cause panic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:16 pm 
Martian War Lord

Quote:
I liked the film but got really board of the "Why god why" crap that kept going on in the film. The film makes the assumption that most people are religous

There's an old saying,

"There are no atheists in a foxhole"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:16 am 

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Quote:
I liked the film but got really board of the "Why god why" crap that kept going on in the film. The film makes the assumption that most people are religous

There's an old saying,

"There are no atheists in a foxhole"

You forgot about my "and" conjunction though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:36 am 
Martian War Lord

:-s

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:47 pm 
Martian War Lord

:-s :-s :-s

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:08 pm 
Martian War Lord

I hope I can get an explanation of what crc32 meant...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:26 pm 

oever532 wrote:
I hope I can get an explanation of what crc32 meant...

I was just commenting that the film makes the assumption that Religous folk are a bunch of pansies that fall apart during an "End of the world" event while the astronomer and scientists are completly cool. My argument is that disastors tend to draw people closer to their faith rather than away from it.

The whole "If god exsisted why would he have done this" pretty much consumed the rhetoric of half the film. It was over done and not even the H G Wells story beat so hard at religion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:46 am 
Martian War Lord

The Curate
Quote:
"What does it mean?" he said. "What do these things mean?"
I stared at him and made no answer.
He extended a thin white hand and spoke in almost a complaining tone.
"Why are these things permitted? What sins have we done? The morning service was over, I was walking through the roads to clear my brain for the afternoon, and then--fire, earthquake, death! As if it were Sodom and Gomorrah! All our work undone, all the work---- What are these Martians?"
"What are we?" I answered, clearing my throat.
He gripped his knees and turned to look at me again. For half a minute, perhaps, he stared silently.
"I was walking through the roads to clear my brain," he said. "And suddenly--fire, earthquake, death!"
He relapsed into silence, with his chin now sunken almost to his knees.
Presently he began waving his hand.
"All the work--all the Sunday schools---- What have we done--what has Weybridge done? Everything gone--everything destroyed. The church! We rebuilt it only three years ago. Gone! Swept out of existence! Why?"
Another pause, and he broke out again like one demented.
"The smoke of her burning goeth up for ever and ever!" he shouted.
His eyes flamed, and he pointed a lean finger in the direction of Weybridge.

and so he goes on. plus there are many scenes in 'The Exodus from London' where People are not drawn closer together but quite the reverse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:00 am 
Martian War Lord

Thanks for the explanation.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 13 posts ]