A forum for all 'War Of The Worlds' fans
Home Page Home Page Home Page Home Page
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 15 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: that was rubbbish (spoilers)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:14 am 

I saw this film today (I admit that I have never read the book, I have only seen the 1953 film and played the game) The only things I liked were:

Special effects were excellent

The horning sounds of the tripods was great

I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise but he did pretty well and the rest of acting was good

What I didn't like:

Tripods didn't get enough screen time

Where is the WAR in war of the worlds, there wasn't enough fighting between the martians and miltary infact there wasn't much at all

tom cruise's character killing Tim Robins character just because he was making a bit of noise was a bit naff and how did cruise win the fight when Tim Robbins who was clearly bigger and stronger then him as demostraited when he managed to take the gun from Cruse in their earlier struggle. This is not even considering the fact that Tim was wielding a Shovel and I believe a knife

The bit in the house where the the Alien eye comes down and wakes up the girl, she screams and runs outside. Tom hacks the eye thingy and runs after her. he finds grenades! He then sees his daughter standing screaming at the top of a hill. She is taken by a tripod, and with Tom is put into a metal basket hanging from the head of the Tripod Tom then throwss a grenade into the head of the tripod (Skywalker styleee), the Tripod splodes dropping the wicker basket, approx a Kilometre towards the ground. everyone survives. A load of hollywood crap

the bit with the son surving was sh*t. It would of been so much cooler if he had died. There is no excuse for him suriving, that was just lame hollywood shite.

The martians themselves looked like the ones from independance only with monkey faces

I'm very disapointed with Steven spielberg

Post subject: Re: that was rubbbish (spoilers)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:44 am 
Martian War Lord

peterson12 wrote:
I saw this film today (I admit that I have never read the book, I have only seen the 1953 film and played the game) The only things I liked were:

Special effects were excellent

The horning sounds of the tripods was great

I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise but he did pretty well and the rest of acting was good

What I didn't like:

Tripods didn't get enough screen time

Where is the WAR in war of the worlds, there wasn't enough fighting between the martians and miltary infact there wasn't much at all

tom cruise's character killing Tim Robins character just because he was making a bit of noise was a bit naff and how did cruise win the fight when Tim Robbins who was clearly bigger and stronger then him as demostraited when he managed to take the gun from Cruse in their earlier struggle. This is not even considering the fact that Tim was wielding a Shovel and I believe a knife

The bit in the house where the the Alien eye comes down and wakes up the girl, she screams and runs outside. Tom hacks the eye thingy and runs after her. he finds grenades! He then sees his daughter standing screaming at the top of a hill. She is taken by a tripod, and with Tom is put into a metal basket hanging from the head of the Tripod Tom then throwss a grenade into the head of the tripod (Skywalker styleee), the Tripod splodes dropping the wicker basket, approx a Kilometre towards the ground. everyone survives. A load of hollywood crap

the bit with the son surving was sh*t. It would of been so much cooler if he had died. There is no excuse for him suriving, that was just lame hollywood shite.

The martians themselves looked like the ones from independance only with monkey faces

I agree with some of your points.

In the book the narrator gets stuck in a house buried under one of the Martians' cylinders. They are stuck there for fifteen days together as the Martians work just outside. They see the martians feeding on people. The man who the narrator is stuck with is a curate. He goes mad, but is also a greedy swine. They only have a bit of food. and the curate keeps eating more than his share. As time goes on the curate becomes more and more noisy so the narrator has no choice but to knock him unconcious. A martian claw explores the building and takes the body of the curate.

So the killing of Ogilvey in this new version is similar. But the time they are stuck together isn't as long, so the build up to the violant act is not really present. However, I'd have killed Ogilvey to protect my little girl. No problem. Men are driven to extremes in times of crisis is trhe message.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:50 am 

>I saw this film today (I admit that I have never read
>the book, I have only seen the 1953 film and played
> the game) The only things I liked were:

What game?

>Tripods didn't get enough screen time
Yea I figured this was to add some mystery to their behavior. Otherwise they would look over posed. But some times the disconnect between the cast and the visual effects did leave the scenes feeling empty. The SFX should have been more seemlessly shot so that we could see where the beasts were in relation to the case. We would see cruise looking out into a field apparently at a tripod then poof a big foot comes down right next to him which is unexpected as we didn't realize how close cruise was to the thing.

>Where is the WAR in war of the worlds, there wasn't enough fighting
>between the martians and miltary infact there wasn't much at all

Yea I can understand speilberg not wanting to emphasize the war cause it would take the camera off the family but geez the family was right in the middle of a battle field and all we got was over the hill suprise.

>tom cruise's character killing Tim Robins character just because he was
>making a bit of noise was a bit naff and how did cruise win the fight when
>Tim Robbins who was clearly bigger and stronger then him as
>demostraited when he managed to
>take the gun from Cruse in their
>earlier struggle. This is not even
>considering the fact that Tim was
>wielding a Shovel and I believe a knife

Maby we can chalk it up to alcohal or something. :|

>The bit in the house where the the
>Alien eye comes down and wakes
>up the girl, she screams and runs
>outside. Tom hacks the eye thingy
>and runs after her. he finds grenades!
>He then sees his daughter standing
>screaming at the top of a hill. She is
>taken by a tripod, and with Tom is put
> into a metal basket hanging from the
>head of the Tripod Tom then throwss a
>grenade into the head of the tripod
> (Skywalker styleee), the Tripod
>splodes dropping the wicker basket,
>approx a Kilometre towards the
>ground. everyone survives. A
>load of hollywood crap

Good thing that spikey tree was their to break their fall.

>the bit with the son surving was sh*t.
>It would of been so much cooler if he
>had died. There is no excuse for him
>suriving, that was just lame hollywood shite.

Yea he should have died. After the "Dad let me go I have to see this" spill that went on for like 5 minutes he needed to die. Now it feels like that
scene was for nothing.

>The martians themselves looked like the
>ones from independance only
>with monkey faces

Or myra from Farscape.

>I'm very disapointed with Steven spielberg

I thought the film was ok. But no summer event movie though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:52 am 

Loz wrote:
peterson12 wrote:
I saw this film today (I admit that I

I agree with some of your points.

In the book the narrator gets stuck in a house buried under one of the Martians' cylinders. They are stuck there for fifteen days together as the Martians work just outside. They see the martians feeding on people. The man who the narrator is stuck with is a curate. He goes mad, but is also a greedy swine. They only have a bit of food. and the curate keeps eating more than his share. As time goes on the curate becomes more and more noisy so the narrator has no choice but to knock him unconcious. A martian claw explores the building and takes the body of the curate.

So the killing of Ogilvey in this new version is similar. But the time they are stuck together isn't as long, so the build up to the violant act is not really present. However, I'd have killed Ogilvey to protect my little girl. No problem. Men are driven to extremes in times of crisis is trhe message.

Yea but I woulden't have hammed it up by blind folding the girl and then closeing the door to top it off. You'd think one or the other would be enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:41 pm 
Martian War Lord

What that was all about with blindfold was quite simple really. Ray knows what he has to do to protect his daughter and himself and this knowledge disgusts him. He is not a killer, but he is about to become one. He is going to go in that room take the shovel off Ogilvey, maybe ask for it and say he's going to help dig and then beat him to death with it. So blindfolding his daughter is about making sure she doesn't see what he is going to do. He knows that she will know that he has just murdered Ogilvey, he just doesn't want her to see it. He makes double sure by closing the door. I think that was very well handled by Speilberg. I get it because I'm a Dad. You have to go into Ray's mind a lot in the film. He is literaly driven to murder a man in cold blood. Ray probably has a breakdown after the invasion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:48 pm 
Martian War Lord

If you haven't read the book you won't know, the the Martians and their machines feature less than they did in the film. the book is one man's stuggle to survive against overwhelming odds and apart from stumbling into the Martian occasionally they don't play a huge roll in the story, The book's more about the people and how they cope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by Lonesome Crow on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:06 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
If you haven't read the book you won't know, the the Martians and their machines feature less than they did in the film. the book is one man's stuggle to survive against overwhelming odds and apart from stumbling into the Martian occasionally they don't play a huge roll in the story, The book's more about the people and how they coup.

Yes thats right they do a lot of couping? :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:51 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yes, alright smart arse, if you like i'll start highlighting yours. Starting with
Bah Bah Black Sheap :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:33 pm 
Martian War Lord

I thought I already explained that to you? [-X

And you started it. =;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:20 pm 
Martian War Lord

No, you never explained it at all :-s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:53 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
No, you never explained it at all :-s

Didn't I say that Sheap with an A not an E have pink seven sided triangular chocolate dinosaur mouths?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:29 am 
Martian War Lord

It rings a bell, but I thought you were just gibbering again. :a009:

Last edited by Lonesome Crow on Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:03 am 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
It rings a bell, but I thuoght you were just gibbering again. :a009:

Actually your right I did spell it wrong. I thought it was deliberate, as in keeping with the script, but I just checked it out and I spell it correctly in the play, but I'll keep it the same in my signiture.

Anyway this is the section of Microdots that the line is from -

They put a bit of ash on the pipe and then the DMT.

LEON Right, here goes nothing.

Sharon lights the pipe and Leon starts to inhale until it has gone.

SHARON Do you feel anything?

LEON Nah... Not really. Nah.

Suddenly Leon is seized by a spasm and his face contorts, and his body jerks.

f*ck ladybirds... Ben Kenobi... Holes in me knees... Potty.... Fish scraps... Ivor the Engine... Rigsby... I’ve crushed Me hamster Mum... Clunk click every trip.... Like a light bulb... Veronica’s swirling vestibule doors.... Syd Snot’s Spit the Dog in a puddle of Mexican Star Wars figures... Crunching under me feet... Ladybirds!!!!! (sings) Got a hand full of songs to sing you... They didn’t do Puff the Magic Dragon... Ben Kenobi! I don’t want an old man for me birthday... (Screams) What have they done to Roger Daultrey…? Put your skirt over me head Louise... I want to kiss your knickers... Crisps in the carpet, hairs in your mouth... Fungus... (DOCTOR WHO) ”Would you like a jelly baby Sarah Jane....” (Sings) Bah bah black sheep April Diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby eight sided pears... Shitty undies down the back of the radiator... Me willy bobs in the bath... I’ve won a soap C3PO for being the best mong in the class... Sit still... Sugar... Spoon it in... Ants in your pants... Miss smells nice... Prickles... Nettles.... Lime Scale... Germs... Tapping the petrol meter in his Moskovich... Hungarian Goulash… Dad get me off the Bear, get me off the f*ck Bear! Not the slow cooker Dad, anything but that. (IMITATES DAD) “A video? What’s the point in getting a video, with all these repeats on?” Shane!!!! You’ll Love this film Son. Shane!!!!! He’s gone over the horizon... Something there... Small, needs me to be like Lime Scale... No needs me to be like Shane... Who?? Baby??? Baby... Is that my baby? Don’t be scared... I’m trying to find out if I’m a [color=green](very rude word)

Leon is left gibbering.

SHARON (PAUSE) And are you?

LEON I don’t know, I’m up to me neck in ladybirds.[/color]

It's delivered very fast aty breakneck speed. Very hard for the actor to get right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:30 pm 
Martian War Lord

And do the nice men in white coats come and visit you very often :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:03 pm 
Martian War Lord

:mrgreen:

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 15 posts ]