A forum for all 'War Of The Worlds' fans
Home Page Home Page Home Page Home Page
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 10 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Alien signal (Spoiler warning)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:08 am 

In my opinion, one of the more chilling things about this movie was the loud low frequency sound ("fog horn-like") that the tripod emitted during a couple of scenes. Possibly an attack signal. The sound sent chills down my body, when the tripod first appeared. It seemed so 'low-tech', yet effective as an audio experience, which I'm sure Spielberg had in mine.

"Guns, Tanks, Bombs - They are like toys against them."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:14 am 

Because "Ulla" would have made too many people laugh...

It's a good substitution that gets aross just how loud and scary the Aliens can be.

Civilization Fanatics Forum

Friends, meet Moskau-Man:
Add him to your signature, to help spread joy arround the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:26 am 
Martian War Lord

Ulla or Aloo as they first cry in the book wouldn't have made people laugh if it was done in that same tone. The way the Ulla's are done on the musical album wouldn't work, they fit the music. But you could do Ullas in those same very low bass notes.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:35 am 
Tripod King

Maybe the aliens themselves were going for psychological effects via music, or at least sound, the way the Scots go into battle with bagpipes playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:51 am 
Martian War Lord

That's what I thought. It had that effect either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:36 am 

Quote:
Ulla or Aloo as they first cry in the book wouldn't have made people laugh if it was done in that same tone. The way the Ulla's are done on the musical album wouldn't work, they fit the music. But you could do Ullas in those same very low bass notes.

But once it gets low and loud enough, people won't even be able to tell that its an "Aloo" or "Ulla". If anything they could have used souds like those for when you hear the Aliens speaking as they crawl arround the basement.

Alland wrote:
Maybe the aliens themselves were going for psychological effects via music, or at least sound, the way the Scots go into battle with bagpipes playing.

Well, "Ulla" and "Aloo" are far less painfull than listening to bagpipes. Playing the pipes on a battlefield should be considdered a war crime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:09 am 

Alland wrote:

Nah I think its there weapons kicking on. You hear it just before the weapon charges up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:25 am 

I realy doubt that. It's a psychological thing, or a signal to the other machines. Or both.

(At the basement scene, the aliens all leave when they hear the Horn. Guess lunch break was over :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:29 am 

Yuri2356 wrote:
I realy doubt that. It's a psychological thing, or a signal to the other machines. Or both.

(At the basement scene, the aliens all leave when they hear the Horn. Guess lunch break was over :wink: )

I would have imagined they'd use radio signals for that. Also recall that the fog horn was used to call the other aliens wondering around the house to come back to their tripod.

I don't see the point of aliens useing psyops on humans when they clearly don't need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:46 pm 
Martian War Lord

crc32 wrote:
Yuri2356 wrote:

I would have imagined they'd use radio signals for that. Also recall that the fog horn was used to call the other aliens wondering around the house to come back to their tripod.

I don't see the point of aliens useing psyops on humans when they clearly don't need to.

The need could purely be born from personality. You can never understand the psycology of the aliens. They could just take great pleasure from frightening us. It could be a battle cry. Just because they are intelectual giants doesn't mean that they don't have qualities such as cruelty.
The truth is their very alieness means that we can only guess at what the sounds mean.

Here's some quotes from the book on their sounds and personality -

As it passed it set up an exultant deafening howl that drowned the thunder — “Aloo! Aloo!” — and in another minute it was with its companion, half a mile away, stooping over something in the field. I have no doubt this Thing in the field was the third of the ten cylinders they had fired at us from Mars.
The one had died, even as it had been crying to its companions; perhaps it was the last to die, and its voice had gone on perpetually until the force of its machinery was exhausted.

Very gently, when my mind was assured again, did they break to me what they had learned of the fate of Leatherhead. Two days after I was imprisoned it had been destroyed, with every soul in it, by a Martian. He had swept it out of existence, as it seemed, without any provocation, as a boy might crush an ant hill, in the mere wantonness of power.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 10 posts ]