Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Spilebergs WOTW - Slammed
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:19 pm 
Tripod King

Ellison Blasts Spielberg's War

SF writer Harlan Ellison blasted Steven Spielberg's efforts to film H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds in comments to SCI FI Wire at Enigma Con at the University of California, Los Angeles. "What annoys me is that Spielberg is such an egomaniac these days that it has to be 'Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds,'" the outspoken Ellison said in an interview over the weekend. "No, you puss-bag. It's H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds, and it wouldn't kill you to put his f--king name on it."

Ellison, author of such books as I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, added: "That shows his arrogance. It's like Disney. Disney didn't write Snow White or Robin Hood or Bambi, but it's 'Walt Disney's universe.' It's the universe according to frozen Walt."

The irascible Ellison hosted a 90-minute lecture at the conference, which he titled "How Does SF Stay in Business in a World of Marching Morons?" He said that he does give Spielberg credit for directing 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. "Spielberg is only a craftsman, that's all he is," Ellison said. "He's not a genius. He's not a trendsetter. There isn't one moment of any Spielberg film, with the possible exception of Doom, that matches the least moment of a Kurosawa film. Kurosawa was a blinding genius of cinema. His vision was astonishing."

Ellison said that he has little interest in seeing remakes and added: "We live in a society that values less and less the original."

War of the Worlds opens June 29.

Source: www.scifi.com

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=31121

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:00 pm 
Martian War Lord

Guess he got out the wrong side of the bed that morning :---

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:00 pm 
Tripod King

bravo

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:59 am 

Meh ill see it anyway....and ill probally love it :wink:

-They're Already Here-Dad Your Scaring Me-Keep Your Eyes On Me-Just Tell Me What You Saw-With Envious Eyes They Watched And Slowly Drew Their Plans Against Us-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:26 pm 
Tripod King

Ellison's always been the outspoken hothead type; perhaps he cultivates the image deliberately. When the first "Rambo" movie came out, he mentioned that Conan the Barbarian was always thought of as stupid, but he now thinks that Conan could beat Rambo in a game of chess "after spotting him two kings and a rook".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:42 pm 
Martian War Lord

Nevertheless, Spielberg may have made the film, that is HIS part, but it is WELLS' story. So in my opinion that guy that thinks that the name Spielberg must be changed in to Wells is right.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:46 pm 
Martian War Lord

The thing is this film doesn't follow the story enough to call it H. G. Wells War of the Worlds. So it should say on the posters based on a story By H. G. Wells.
I wouldn't want my name put to something that had heavely deveated from my origional script. But based on, well that would be okay.
At the end of the day, there will be almost none of the dialogue Wells wrote in the book featuring in this film. If any.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:32 am 

If H.G. Wells knew that his book was being made into many different movies, he'd proll be very appreciative that its still going on more then 100 yrs later. Well id be so stop the whinning! [-X

-They're Already Here-Dad Your Scaring Me-Keep Your Eyes On Me-Just Tell Me What You Saw-With Envious Eyes They Watched And Slowly Drew Their Plans Against Us-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:37 pm 
Martian War Lord

Who's whining?

I'm really looking forward to the movie.

I'm saying that it shouldn't be called H. G. Wells War of the Worlds, because it isn't. It should have based on H. G. Wells War of the Worlds in the credits.

So stop prattling on! [-X

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ]