All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 11 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: HC's Review Of JW TWOTW 'Collector's Edition' Set - Part Two
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:52 am 
Tripod King

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds
Collector's Edition

7 Disc Collector's Package Of Jeff Wayne's Musical Masterpiece!

PART TWO

Disc Four - The Remixes 1979 - 2005

Running Time: 74.53

A wonderful collection of 17 of the best remixes that have appeared since the albums launch in 1978. Each track like the album has been remastered to give the listener the ultimate playback experience. The tracks include many favourites, some taken from the 2000 album 'UllaDubUlla' and the best selling 1989 remix by Ben Liebrand version of 'The Eve Of The War', the 1979 Steve Thompson disc remix of 'The Eve Of The War', 3 brand new mixes by Jeff Wayne featuring music from both his albums The War Of The Worlds and Spartacus, the latter being released in 1992 featuring Anthony Hopkins and Catherine Zeta Jones.

Disc Five - The Coming Of The Martians - Revisited

Running Time: 58.29

Rarities & Out-takes From Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds

This is disc one of three disc's that contains a huge amount of rarities and studio out-takes during the making of the classic album during May 18th 1976 and June 13th 1977. This collection gives us that rare chance to listen to what was going on, how the band put the tracks together, Richard Burton's narration and his many mistakes, which are a delight and funny to listen too. "So what do we have in this musical feast", well its hard for me to start as there is just so much, but here is a small selection of what's on the disc and other disc's. Disc One of rarities opens with the 'four narrators', Richard Burton, Anthony Quinn, Teofilo Martinez and Curd Jurgens, each one narrating the album since its release in English, Latin American Spanish, Spanish and German.

'The Eve Of The War' tracks are stunning, with original unheard (until now) opening and band studio season including Richard Burton haunting narration that contains 'new' words. A stripped down mix of 'The Eve Of The War' which is truly fantastic and the very funny and contagious laugh from Barry Morgan that sets everyone else off laughing in the studio. Next we move onto 'Horsell Common And The Heat Ray' and Richard Burton's many attempts to get to grips with the narration during the appearance of the Martians. 'Horsell Common And The Heat Ray' (early version) plays to us how the track first sounded along to more narration from Richard Burton. We also have the delight of listening to the awesome Heat Ray guitar sounds from Jo Partridge playing along with Jeff Wayne on the piano. One special treat on this disc is during the opening of the original unused intro to 'The Artilleryman And The Fighting Machine' in the form of not only artillery guns sounding off in the distance but the special guest appearance of 'Ozzie The Owl'. Before we hear the chilling bass guitar at the opening of 'The Artilleryman' and before Richard Burton's narration begins with "The hammering from the pit, the pounding of guns grew louder" we get to hear Ozzie in full swing, calling out above the battle cries.

Suprisingly I did not realise that 'Forever Autumn' started life as a 30 second TV jingle back in 1969 by Paul Vigrass and Gary Osbourne, but it's here for all to listen too including the original single release in 1972, early band version for The War Of The Worlds album, mingled in-between numerous bar counts - again those funny moments when one looses one's count. Next we are introduced to sections removed from the album, sounds of paperboys calling out in the streets of London as the Martians advance and the mass panic, screams of those trying to board the ferry. More removed out-takes of dialogue heard on the disc includes people reactions to the invaders "What ugly brutes" and "Do you see them".

Two tracks appear of the original takes on 'Thunder Child' before Chris Thompson was used, moving onto the opening narration of disc two of the album - 'The Under The Martians' and the deadly 'Red Weed' early version. Here Richard Burton gives us another fine performance and yet more humorous mistakes during the 'Red Weed' section. Jeff's "Worth A Listen" Red Weed out-take is very funny as we hear Jeff 'messing' about on the piano. The disc finishes with one of the original radio commercials from 1978 which is indeed a pleasure to listen too after all this time.

Disc Six - The Earth Under The Martians - Revisited

Running Time: 72.22

Like the first disc of rarities, we are lovingly treated to yet more stunning, funny and rare scores and out-takes from the album. The opening track is a rarity from the archives, 'Parson Nathaniel', the original unused song that was replaced with 'The Spirit Of Man'. 'The Spirit Of Man' follows, this being an early version, unused and with acting parts from Richard Burton, Phil Lynott and Julie Covington. We have early versions again of 'The Spirit Of Man', guide vocals and a funny moment of Jeff and his microphone that does not work. During this disc, we have a large section devoted to the singing and acting talents of Phil Lynott and includes many rare out-takes in the studio, a beautiful insight into 'Thin Lizzies' leading man, the most memorable are the 'scream' out-takes which are hilarious "so there was this fella and he goes into this pub - Arrghhhhhhhhh". We hear more narration unheard before from Richard Burton and some excellent guitar rifts and acoustic recordings from 'The Spirit Of Man' followed with more acting parts from Julie Covington.

Next we have 'The Artllerymans Returns' opening with unused parts and the excellent acting parts from Richard Burton and David Essex. Its at this part of the disc we get to hear the many out-takes of David Essex during performing as it leads to a wonderful solo piano performance of 'Brave New World' by Jeff Wayne and an early band take and more David Essex out-takes "I've got a plan". Following all this there is a wonderful acoustic version of 'Brave New World' featuring Jo Partridge, Barry Morgan, Ken Freeman, Jeff Wayne and Ray Cooper and an alternative version. The disc finishes off with many studio out-takes of Richard Burton and David Essex, both in character as they talk about the building of a new world under the ground, featuring a lot unused acting and narration and one more radio commercial from 1978.

Disc Seven - The Earth Under The Martians - Revisited

Running Time: 63.02 - (including narration)

Features The Original Narration & Acting Parts (unabridged) - Running Time: 36.18

The last and final disc of this sumptuous Collector's Edition features the early piano demo of the chilling 'Dead London' and early band run-through featuring Herbie Flowers, Jeff Wayne, Roy Jones, Jo Partridge, Chris Spedding, Barry De Souza and Ken Freeman. In this take, Jo Partridges 'ULLA' guitar and voice box effect sound as scary as ever, filling the room with the dying sound of the Martians as we move on to Jeff doing his bar count for 'Dead London' and Richard Burton's narration, bringing to us the final moments of the Martians about London. 'Epilogue - Part One' is that of an early band take featuring Jeff Wayne and Richard Burton with much never heard before narration, chilling, moving yet joyful.

Included on this disc are some of the unused alternate NASA Epilogue out-takes by Jerry Wayne.

". . . . today as we all celebrate their safe landing on Mars. The President has added his congratulations to those pouring in from all over the world. The magnitude of this achievement cannot be underestimated. There seems to be a slight hitch. Transmission been interrupted from one of our spacecraft. Now we seem to have lost both craft. Im sure it's only temporary. Everything is OK. We've just sighted a flare . . . Are they supposed to release flares? Tom, check it out. Now the flare can be seen with the naked eye: bright green, drawing a green mist behind it - coming closer. Its like a falling star, a beautiful and. . . . "

Next we have four lots of out-takes from the studio recordings featuring Anthony Quinn during the NASA Epilogue. Like the Richard Burton out-takes, even the best make mistakes, funny and pleasant to listen too.

The closing section of this disc features what is truly a work of art, a rarity, and what I can only describe as a The War Of The Worlds fans dream. For the first time we are able to listen to the original narration with acting parts, unabridged and lasting over 36 minutes. This is Richard Burton at his chilling best. Below are a few examples of what can be heard, never used in the final edit of the album in 1978.

Richard Burton: 'Horsell Common And The Heat Ray' - "In the afternoon, a company of soldiers came through and deployed along the edge of the common to form a cordon. I felt more secure now that the army was in control. even though the hammering continued and there was a steady streamer of smoke from the pit. That evening, a falling star with a trail of green mist landed in the woods with a flash like Summer lighting, this was the 2nd cylinder. At dawn came a thud of a gun from the common, then there was a violent crash that shook the ground, houses slid down into ruin and I realised with horror that my home was now within range of the Martians Heat Ray. Overhead, dark clouds were driving fast, and then startlingly it was as though the clouds had been pierced a thread of green fire - it was a 3rd falling star."

Richard Burton: 'The Red Weed - Part One' - "Where ever there was a stream, the Red Weed clung and grew with frightening varaciousness. Its claw like fronds choking the movement of the water. Then it began to creep like a slimy red animal across the land, covering field and ditch and tree and hedgerow with living scarlet feelers, crawling, crawling. It was impossible to recognise the route I had taken only yesterday, so engulfed was it by the Red Weed, but I placed the sun behind me and started across a field. It was like walking upon gigantic blood drops. I stumbled knee deep and then neck deep and had to fight my way out of this menacing devouring red mass. I kept to the road after that, walking steadily towards London. As I approached the little village of Latchingdon, I longed for the familiar site of its cool green fields and hedges sweet with dog roses, but alas the Red Weed sprouted here with terrifying abundance. At Cold Norton, the walls of ruined cottages were alive with moving red fingers, and at Billericay everything had shrivelled and died, leaving nothing but a vast red swamp. I new a terrible fear. The Red Weed had formed a crimson blanket over our world and it threatened to smoother all mankind. "

Richard Burton: 'Dead London' - "I marched recklessly towards the titan, and then as I drew nearer, I saw that a multitude of black birds were circling and clustering about the hood. At that my heart gave a bound and I began running along the road. The thought that had flashed into my mind grew real, grew credible. I felt no fear only a wild trembling exultation as I ran up the hill towards the motionless monster, out of the hood hung red shreds at which the hungry birds now pecked and tore. In another moment I had scrambled up the earthen rampart to the crest of Primrose Hill and the Martians camp was below me, a mighty space it was filled with gigantic machines. And scattered about it some in there overturned Fighting Machines some in there crab like Handling Machines and a dozen of them stark and silent laying in a row were the Martians - DEAD - slain after all mans devices had failed by the humblest things upon the Earth, Bacteria, minute invisible bacteria. These germs have plagued us since life began here, but through millions of years we have developed a resistance to them becoming immune to many and succumbing to non without a struggle, But there are no bacteria on Mars. Directly these invaders arrived and drank and fed, our microscopic allies attacked them. From that moment they were doomed. Mans resistance has been bought at the cost of a billion lives."

Almost 30 years since it's release, Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds still remains today as the most definitive version of H.G.Wells classic novel. Loved by millions with an album cover regarded as one of the most iconic covers of the late 1970s. Its sweeping sounds of orchestral strings, guitars, percussion and Richard Burton's chilling narration still captures people attention and imagination. With the 'Collector's Edition', Jeff Wayne has given us a look into the album, its making of, development, with a huge array of behind-the-scenes footage thought by many as either lost or never existed, everything a fan would want and more. You don't have to be a sci-fi fanatic or even a The War Of The Worlds fanatic to enjoy this set. The Set will delight all that hear, read and view it. Perfectly packaged, presented and an audible feast for the ears and eye's, both Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds - Collector's Edition and double Digipak Edition will be loved and cherished for years to come.

Part One Of This Review Can Be Read Here:

http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk/forum/view ... =5020#5020

Jonathan Smith
www.waroftheworldsonline.com
&
www.thewaroftheworlds.com

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:45 pm 
Martian War Lord

Okay so now I'm frothing at the mouth. Thanks H-C! =P~

I'll get mine tomorrow.

Tried to get it the other day from a small HMV but wasn't in.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

Same here what I said in my post in part 1 of this topic....

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:44 pm 
Martian War Lord

Got mine ordered now, only £65.95. Should have it next week. \:D/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:08 am 
Martian War Lord

It's an extremily excellent album. If you've got mine opinion, all sorts of rating, are filled to the max by me. This is definately an album of TOP quality.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:34 pm 
Martian War Lord

apart from the actual musical itself, which disc is your favourite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

Disc 3, with the remixes. My personal favorites are: The Eve of the War (Hani remix), The Eve of the War (Ben Liebrand remix), The Spirit of Destiny (my favorite Ulla is heard there), The Spirit of Man (Max Mondo Remix), Brave New World (Dario G Remix), Forever Autumn (N-Trance Remix), The Max Mondo remixes from Horsell Comman and the Heatray and the Artilleryman and The Fighting Machine and finally the Dark Autumn Dub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:59 pm 
Martian War Lord

Cool and the Gang! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:05 pm 
Martian War Lord

What are your favorite remixes of cd 3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:41 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz hasn't got his yet, not till next week :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:43 pm 
Martian War Lord

Have you any favorites from cd 3, Lonesome, or don't you have it either?

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 11 posts ]