Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 11 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: No Cylinders?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:54 am 

I already asked the same question on www.us.imdb.com but felt you folks would know more about it here. In the previews I hear dialog suggesting that the martians either arrived via lightning strikes or were already here the whole time and just woke up after being struck by lightning.

I was hoping the would still arrive in cylinders like the in the story. Any speculation as to how they get here?

And for that matter why is it said in the teaselines "They are alreadyy here?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:45 pm 
Martian War Lord

One of the theories we have discussed a good while back, was whether the aliens are from a different dimension, the same planet earth but something happend millions of years ago that split the timeline into an alternative universe (The multiple Universe theory) giving some other species an advantage and they've became the dominant creature on their version of Earth. and now all they have to do is to cross the thin quantum barrier between the two alternative universes, and invade. this could explain the "they're already here" subtitle. Someone suggested they may use cylinders to cross this barrier and the lightning is just one of the effects of their arrival. if this is not how the story goes, then someone should write it like this :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

Well judging by the trailers, they are underground. I think they arrived long ago and hybernated underground in something not unlike a cylinder. The reason they have waited could be anything from, they had to build up their power sources or they have slowely been building their war machines and studying us to sus out how best to defeat us without dwindling their own numbers. I think they are almost definately going to be from another planet rather than another dimension, and we won't actually find out where or where or why hey invade. Because unless they tell us we won't know. I think the lightning is them powering up and then the cylinders containing them will push up from underground and disgorge the invaders. This is purely my speculations on what I have een in the clips and what I've read. If it was an alternate dimension they came from, then they could have stuck with Mars being point of origin, only a Mars that has life, and these Martians could have crossed over the dimensions to our Earth, as the alternate Earth is dead.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:33 pm 
Martian War Lord

:? More food stocks, that's a good point. :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:00 pm 

Lonesome Crow wrote:
One of the theories we have discussed a good while back, was whether the aliens are from a different dimension, the same planet earth but something happend millions of years ago that split the timeline into an alternative universe (The multiple Universe theory) giving some other species an advantage and they've became the dominant creature on their version of Earth. and now all they have to do is to cross the thin quantum barrier between the two alternative universes, and invade. this could explain the "they're already here" subtitle. Someone suggested they may use cylinders to cross this barrier and the lightning is just one of the effects of their arrival. if this is not how the story goes, then someone should write it like this :lol:

I'm thinking the aletered universe angle has been over used. If that were the case the Aliens would be better off attacking another version of earth that doesn't have intelligent life on it. I for one prefer when stories and science fiction stay confined into one universe. I can accept the notions of warp drive and hyperspace but I kinda draw the line at alternate universes as being to convient of a plot device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:19 pm 
Martian War Lord

Is this about an other universe which is the same as ours, or is it about an alternate timeline?

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:11 pm 
Martian War Lord

Alternate timeline, what Terry Pratchett would call 'the other trouser leg of time'.
Something happend in the past and the world took another route, alternative to ours, down the other trouser leg :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:00 pm 
Tripod King

Actually, the invaders could still be from Mars in our universe, despite what our probes say. Since they're so high-tech, they could jam the messages the probes sent back to Earth and replace them with decoys which give the false impression that Mars is barren of life. Another idea is that the Martian civilization is entirely underground. This is actually a better and more traditional idea, because Wells already gave us an underground extraterrestrial civilization with his Selenites in "The First Men in the Moon".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:32 am 
Martian War Lord

The Star Trek series had also parts which had an alternate timeline.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:50 am 

Apparently in an interview with Fangoria, screenwriter David Koepp describes them as "Creatures from an unnamed distant planet". They've also been described as "Sleeper cells". It sounds like they came to earth a long time ago and are just activating now.

My best guess is that this is mental hopscotch to allow the aliens to suddenly show up without being detected by radar or telescopes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:17 pm 
Martian War Lord

Thunder Child wrote:
Apparently in an interview with Fangoria, screenwriter David Koepp describes them as "Creatures from an unnamed distant planet". They've also been described as "Sleeper cells". It sounds like they came to earth a long time ago and are just activating now.

My best guess is that this is mental hopscotch to allow the aliens to suddenly show up without being detected by radar or telescopes.

this sounds right. You can have the cylinders only this time they pop up from beneath and the invaders come out imedietly, also their are only so many of them. If they came from space then they could just attack us from there, at least soften us up with bombardments. They are trying to keep it as close to the book as they can, without people going that seems a bit unlikely. Of course the story of the charcters are very different, but I'm talking about the story of the invaders.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 11 posts ]