Home Page Home Page  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:43 pm 
Martian War Lord

Quote:
We can certainly hope there are fewer, but given human nature, I have to wonder if our better behavior is found more in being watched than any intrinsic improvements.

Yes, being watched is probably the main reason, they are ashamed, embarrassed, feel guilty because they know what they are doing is wrong and know the majority of their own people would not approve of their actions.

Quote:
I guess it comes down to motivation. Why would an advanced (enough) culture invest tons of time, talent and money into building ships and crossing vast distances? Just to say "hi" in a friendly sort of way?

We don't build Star Ships but we do have S.E.T.I. the Search. for Extra. Terrestrial. Intelligence. and I hope that our first action isn't to reach for a gun if we ever find any life out there.
We are human and one of our more endearing traits is we are naturally curious it's why we no longer swing through the trees or groom each others hair for fleas :) .
Quote:
Spielberg's entitled to his opinion, certainly.

I may not agree with what you say, but I agree you have the right to say it. and as Trog says "this thread is turning into a political debate. and no one is going to see the others point of view, so I'm off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:10 pm 

I tend to agree with what Speilberg said about the "Big Schlep".

There's so much distance between planets and so few lifeforms (As far as we can tell.) that it seems like a lot of hassle to got through for an invasion. If you've mastered interstellar travel, you can probably take care of your needs in a less hamfisted manner than just attacking other worlds. You could probably synthesize what you need from raw ingredients and terraform planets closer to home.

Also, if you have advanced technology, you probably are a species with a great deal of intellectual curiosity. You'd probably be more interested in earth for science's sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:47 pm 

Thanks Thunder Child! Politics are over! :lol:

A "careful" scenario is possible here. Since anything can trigger a war between two worlds that can hardly communicate, actions must be done easily. But since some people believe alien lifeforms are evil (especially if theyre ugly- film makers are so dumb making every ugly alien evil. The only one who dont is Lucas) the chance we commoners will come in contact with them is very small. But like one of my old ideas, they may start war with us of something we simply think is natural (like smashing bugs) but they can see it as us being superior to other species, etc.

Alland- no empire can exist without acting bad. An empire never exists to help others- only to exploit. Yet I think america has been acted good in some situations, but it all begun to go wrong when they let the germans loose ww1... Oops, no more politics! :P

My many points given. Thats all folks.

How to make a tripod:
1. Take a small wooden toy wheel (cheap in hobby stores)
2. Take three nails.
3. Figure the rest out yourself.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:54 pm 

Lonesome Crow wrote:
...and as Trog says "this thread is turning into a political debate. and no one is going to see the others point of view, so I'm off.

I agree. I was hoping to keep steering the thread back to conjecture about alien motivations for building fleets of ships and coming great distances.

Getting mired into debates over whether Bush is a good guy or not, or whether Britain is intrinsically better than America, are doomed to go nowhere. This bbs is about WotW, after all.

so, getting slightly back on topic, there were nasty aliens in the 70s and 80s movies, in parallel with the cuddly aliens. While most aliens were of hostile intent in the 50s and 60s movies, there was the noble alien in The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Anybody recall any other 'good' aliens from the classic Cold War era of sci-fi films?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:50 pm 

Superman?

There weren't a lot of "Good" aliens in the movies during the 50's, but they did turn up a lot in books, radio and comics. I think the budget restraints of film coupled with the need for sensationalist trailers and posters tended to favor evil aliens.

I've found it interesting to listen to the old radio show "Dimension X/X-Minus One" whose stories run a cross section of fifties concerns. Aliens appear as invaders, but they also appear as Klaatu style chastizing parent figures and (Ironically) the victims of human bigotry and imperialism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:08 pm 

Thunder Child wrote:
There weren't a lot of "Good" aliens in the movies during the 50's, but they did turn up ...Aliens appear as invaders, but they also appear as Klaatu style chastizing parent figures and (Ironically) the victims of human bigotry and imperialism.

Thanks ThunderChild. Yes, Superman was a 'good' alien, but since he got his start back in the 30s, and was so thoroughly human -- being a super-MAN, it's easy to forget the alien connection.

It is kind of odd that Klaatu was so alone. I guess maybe the audiences were more accepting of the invader villain type, and writers found more metaphors for invader villains.

Maybe the Cold War just failed to deliver on the doom everyone expected (so we all got bored with it?), or maybe with Vietnam as an example that war could still happen w/o going nuclear, people relaxed a bit. Their imaginations could wander to possibly-good aliens too.

Then you end up with two opposing genre -- the invader villains and the space buddies -- coexisting. Both get movies. Both have eager audiences. Rather akin to the two opposing genre: technophobe and technophile. Each with an audience.

Given Spielberg's long stint in the space buddy genre, can he make a convincing invader-villain movie? Will it end up with some space-buddies-afterall twist at the end like Taken?

That would be a bummer.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2