View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 10 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Lucas, Spielberg To Battle It Out
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:25 pm 
Martian War Lord

This summer means war between old buddies George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

Colleagues on the "Indiana Jones" franchise, the two will duke it out for the title of galactic overlord on the 2005 science fiction front, Lucas with the final installment of his "Star Wars" saga, Spielberg with his remake of "War of the Worlds" starring Tom Cruise.

"Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" opens May 19, "War of the Worlds" June 29.

"At least we're six weeks apart, so we won't be competing against each other," Spielberg told The Associated Press.

As George Pal did with his 1953 version, Spielberg updates H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds" from 1890s Britain to the contemporary United States, partly because turbulent times today provide a relevant backdrop for terror from the skies, and partly for simple cosmetic reasons.

"I can't stand the costumes of 1898," Spielberg said. "There's just something about those high collars, those frou-frou gowns. It's not my style, I guess.

"I think also, we're living in a fearful atmosphere, fearful times, and every version of `War of the Worlds' that has occurred either in literature, radio or film has occurred during fearful times."

Spielberg also jettisons Wells' premise that humanity's assailants come from Mars, noting that explorations of the red planet have shown that "if life is ever discovered on the surface of Mars, it will be microscopic life."

The film never reveals where the aliens come from. Spielberg figures their anonymity adds to the terror.

"It's just really scary to imagine being invaded, especially being invaded by not only an unknown race bent on our total annihilation, but with no context," Spielberg said. "They don't spend any time explaining why they're here. There's no, `We needed to move here because our planet has become inhospitable. ...'

"We have absolutely no idea why they've come, why they're doing this to us."

http://cbsnewyork.com/entertainment/entertainment_story_108221636.html

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:23 pm 
Martian War Lord

I hope Lucas decks him.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:25 pm 

Starwars will win if its a fight- it got lightsabers, battles with wookies ( :D ) Darth Vader transformation sequence. Even if I know what will happen exactly its gonna beat Spielberg's WOTW.

What do Stephen have? A bastardised script. If he followed the original it would be 100% better nontheless.

Too bad Lucas changed the old "Rise of the Empire" to the duller but more Darth Maul correct "Revenge of the Sith"... :roll:

How to make a tripod:
1. Take a small wooden toy wheel (cheap in hobby stores)
2. Take three nails.
3. Figure the rest out yourself.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:46 pm 
Advanced Member

battle of the titans! im not sure who will win this one, both great directors we will just have to wait and see.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:52 pm 
Martian War Lord

Star Wars III will be big because Vader is in it and it's the bridge to star wars iv but my girlfriend won't touch it. She's only seen phantom menace and that put her off all the others. She will want to go and see War of the Worlds though. I think more women will see WOTW than Episode iii and may just be one of the biggest films of all time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:03 am 
Tripod King

Loz wrote:
I hope Lucas decks him.

Word. :D

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:30 pm 

Loz, yer woman is strange- phantom menace isnt starwars- its a biproduct of how Lucas was when he was possessed by evil spirits- THE SPIRIT OF JAR JAR...

Stephen and Lucas in open battle- Lucas wins with his powerful "SUMMON NERD HORDE NO-JUTSU". :P

How to make a tripod:
2. Take three nails.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:55 pm 
Martian War Lord

She missed the origional trolgy first time round. When Phantom came out I took her to see and had the vids ready at home for her to watch thinking it would hook her in. I hated it and she hated it and now she'll never see the origionals. Why oh why did he make that bloody film.
Who wants to see Anakin when he's 9 years old?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:22 am 

You need to convince her that the old films turned famious of a reason! Remember? Han Solo, Ewoks(me likey those cuddly bears), good humour with C3PO and R2D2 (not like the bad ones in ep2).

Indeed. They should have made him 17 or something, then Anakin wouldnt be so silly. Guess it was because of the kids watching. Meh. And Jar Jar should have died in some embarassing way in the beginning, that would make everyone happy(or just delete him from the script).

How to make a tripod:
2. Take three nails.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:14 am 
Tripod King

Fearful times? What the HELL were the "fearful times" when Wells wrote his novel back in 1898? The British Empire was on top of the world then, and with the aforementioned publication date, it hadn't even begun to suffer the humilitations of the Boer War yet. In fact, as I recall, Wells wrote the novel at least partially BECAUSE times were so peaceful, to warn his fellow Brits not to be so complacent.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 10 posts ]