View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 4 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:02 pm 
Martian War Lord

Article from : <a href='http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14249189&BRD=2575&PAG=461&dept_id=513085&rfi=6' target='_blank'>http://www.zwire.com/</a><br /><br />A couple of area eighth grade students have an intriguing request. They would like to talk to anyone who remembers the Orson Welles' "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast in 1938.<br /><br />Many of us do know about that infamous radio show. It was fictional drama, but radio listeners not catching the beginning of the show thought for real that Martians were invading the United States - New Jersey, wasn't it? Anyway, chaos ensued, from traffic jams to telephone line jams. There have been a couple of movies about it, and they are choice. Another such movie is due in theaters June 29, starring Tom Cruise.<br /><br />Anyway, Johanna Hartman and Steven Manetta are eighth graders at Eddyville-Blakesburg Middle School. They write: "For the past several months we have been working on a history day project about War of the Worlds. As you probably know, this was a radio broadcast in 1938. Mercury Theaters presented a radio program that scared much of the United States because they thought they were being invaded by Martians or a hostile country. We have listened to a recording of the broadcast, and it is easy to see why people were confused. Orson Wells was the man who wrote the script and it starts out with music, just like many other broadcasts, and then it is interrupted by a special news bulletin telling the listeners that there has been an invasion!"<br /><br />The two students said that they have talked to many people asking them if they had heard the broadcast. "We think if we could talk to someone who vividly remembers this broadcast it will help our project tremendously," they said.<br />But, here's what they've found out so far - "no one has a really clear recollection of the broadcast." Hmmm. Wasn't that long ago. I'm sure some of our readers do remember it.<br /><br />And, that's why they wrote me, asking "if there is anyone who could help us.<br />"We just know there is someone out there who remembers this broadcast, but we just need to find them. Hopefully you can help us with this. Thanks for your help."<br />Well, Johanna Hartman and Steven Manetta, good luck in your quest.<br />Surely someone will come forward. You can give them a call at (641) 969-5372.<br /><br /><br />

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:05 pm 

I sent an e-mail to the newspaper website that posted this. I'd be glad to answer them by e-mail, but I don't have the time to phone them. <br /><br />I don't know anyone who actually remembers the Oct. 30, 1938 broadcast but I know quite a lot about it regardless.

Get 'em in the blue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:20 pm 
Tripod King

maybe if they would remember it was originally a book i wouldnt have to hunt them down, burn their work, crucify them, murder their families and teachers so that there can never again be any like them then demolish their school.<br /><br />as it is, my plane arrives in Des Moines International Airport, Iowa tomorrow morning :D

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:46 am 
Martian War Lord

I've got a cd from a book, where the entire play can be heard. The first track, which contains the play, has a over 60 minute duration...

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 4 posts ]