View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 18 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:13 pm 
Martian War Lord

Eveofthewar.com has some scans from CFQ April 2005. <br /><br />Image<br /><br />These pics included an interior shot of the Narrator and Ogilvy in the observatory, and two fighting machines over Victorian London. The report details the creative process and how the movie came to be, and all the set backs Tim Hines faced with copyright, money, and actors. <br /><br />It confirms some information and rumors flying around and also speaks of the influences of Timothy Hines. <br /><br /><a href='http://www.eveofthewar.com/articles/5746/Eve_of_the_War_First%3A_Pictures_of_Pendragon%27s_Tripods_from_CFQ_Magazine' target='_blank'>CLICK HERE FOR THE SCANS AND FULL ARTICLE</a><br /><br /><br />

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:27 pm 

The tripods look pretty cool. Still can't wait. Lets hope to see more tripods soon :)<br /><br /> :smoking:

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:33 pm 
Advanced Member

cool, i like the look of the tripods, i want to see the martians themselves, if this adaption is as close to the book as it claims then i hope the martians are accurate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:34 pm 
Advanced Member

Unfortunately the scans are pretty bad. He says that higher-quality images are going to be put up soon, so I'll wait until I see those before I comment. I do think that Mr. Hines gives himself waaay too much credit for the "influence" his film has had on Paramount's version. Still, some interesting info about Pendragon's production.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:11 pm 

It looks like a bunch of toys cobbled together in Photoshop. I can't see how it would match up with the legs shown in the trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:31 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Thunder Child+Apr 5 2005, 01:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thunder Child @ Apr 5 2005, 01:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It looks like a bunch of toys cobbled together in Photoshop.  I can't see how it would match up with the legs shown in the trailer.<br />[right][snapback]2776[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I noticed that too. The legs of the tripod in that shot looked to be spread really far apart while the tripod "legspan" in the trailer was very narrow. Again, I'll hold off saying too much until some higher quality scans are up, but I agree the tripods in that shot looked very different than the shot in the trailer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:45 pm 
Advanced Member

now that you mention it i have to agree. the legs in the trailer appeared a lot tall in my eyes and i dont think they had that bend that these ones have.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:50 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Thunder Child+Apr 5 2005, 02:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thunder Child @ Apr 5 2005, 02:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It looks like a bunch of toys cobbled together in Photoshop.  I can't see how it would match up with the legs shown in the trailer.<br />[right][snapback]2776[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />I iniatially thought that then, but then thought they could be stooping, ie not at full height. <br />The could have a bend in the knee so to speak. <br /><br />I could be wrong :asskiss: <br /><br /> :smoking:

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:56 pm 
Martian War Lord

interesting article. Tipods look SH*T. They don't seem to match the legs in design and what's with those big strings of sausages for prehensiles? Are Punch and Judy driving those things?<br /><br />When I look over some of the live action shots, I think, yes this looks like a decent film, but anything CGI looks bollox. I'd just like, as I've said before, to see a trailer with the actors having some dialogue. When you here them do a bit of a scene you can get a good idea of whether it is going to be a good movie or not. Regardless of effects.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:52 pm 

The whole thing looks dodgy to me, i'm sorry but i'm just not convinced that there is or ever will be anything but an assorted jumble of unfinished scenes and cheap looking effects.<br />When i saw the bit in the trailer with the tripods legs my hopes were raised but so far that seems to be only convincing thing i've seen with regards to this movie.

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:01 pm 
Martian War Lord

Well's described the fighting machines as a mass of metal on tripod legs.<br />looking at this picture, if the scale of the man at the bottom right of the picture is anything to go by the tripods are way too small.<br /><br />DISAPPOINTED :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 am 
Tripod King

not bothered really. I doubt thats a still from the movie and if that is the design for the tripods i dont hate it. Ultimately what they look like will make no difference to the opinons expressed on them from some quarters. Even Paramounts highly polished and well rendered tripods will be criticised from one approach or another by people determined to find no good in that version. I myself am resigned to the fact that cool looking tripods is one area of the Paramount movie i probably wont get to take a bazooka shot at.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

Maybe one day effects technolagy will be so advanced that the Tripods will actually be what you imagine and unique to each person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:26 pm 
Advanced Member

It's been updated with a better scan now. Check out the link again. <br /><br />I still don't really like it. I don't care for the clear "cockpit," and the body seems way too small in relation to the rest of it. It just doesn't look scary at all, and the curvy, bendy leg design is just weird, it doesn't look very functional. The legs still don't seem to match up with the legs of the machine in the trailer. Of course we still haven't seen a full shot of the tripods moving, so I'll hold off any more speculation for now. I still don't know if anyone has confirmed that it is definitely a shot from the movie or just production art. <br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:30 pm 

Scan: Better<br />Tripods: Still awful, fake looking (Those tentacles look totally useless.)<br /><br />What's the deal with the "sepia tone" anyway? We don't see it in any of the trailers. My suspicion is that it's just a ploy to try to cover up shortcomings in the picture, which looks les realistically composited than the cutouts in a Terry Gilliam animation.<br /><br />Neither this, or the supposed scene of the cylinder hiting the house look like stills from a movie. The both look like something thrown together in Photoshop. They make me increasingly prone to shout "Shenanigans".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:01 pm 
Tripod King

Utter cobblers as I think that image is, I suspect it may be a pre-vis maquette, and a small one at that, for the following reason (which I posted on another site):<br /><br />
Quote:
I tell you what I think I can see, though, and it's that the sausage-chain tentacles appear to be made up of naked stop-motion armature links! I'm positive I can make out ball-&-socket joints!<br /><br />This makes it almost certain that it's a physical model (as someone else has pointed out earlier anyway) - if it was CGI, why include the ball-&-socket joints? The depth of field problems lead me to suspect that it's a quite small model.<br /><br />It's still bloody ugly.
<br /><br />And I imagine they have just the one model and duplicated it in Photoshop, or whatever.<br /><br />As for the Cylinder Hitting the House, I must (against my better nature) leap to the useless Pendragon's defence:<br /><br />They have only ever claimed it's an 'artist's impression', not a still.<br /><br />God, that was painful typing that...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:36 pm 

The tripods looks like one of my "random LEGO brick combination" experiments. I think it may be lego, with some techno and slate bricks used... :P<br /><br />Oh, this woe is so... Annoying.

How to make a tripod:
1. Take a small wooden toy wheel (cheap in hobby stores)
2. Take three nails.
3. Figure the rest out yourself.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:16 pm 
Martian War Lord

Sausages!!!!

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 18 posts ]