View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 12 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:57 pm 
Tripod King

Bear with me on this one.<br /><br />Earlier today while taking a customers order we bagan to talk about TWOTW. This particular customer has a keen interest in UFO related incidents. He spoke about the 1938 Orson Welles Mercury Theatre production of The War Of The Worlds and how it was played out over the radio, the effect it had and the closing down of the broadcast.<br /><br />Its what he said that interested me, see what you think - He said his theory and others of his UFO group was that the whole thing was set up by the U.S goverment with the help of the 'Mercury Theatre', a kind of 'test' to see how the public and autorities would react to a UFO scare. Wanting to make the 'test' more realistic to the listener it was left to 'Mercury' to come up with the goods - TWOTW. The panic that followed showed what a success the 'test' was but the scale of the panic was something the goverment had not counted on, so the play was stopped. Orson Welles became the scapegoat for the goverment.<br /><br />But why did they go ahead with this lavish 'test' - the late 30s gave way to UFO sighting on a large scale.<br /><br />Now, Im not a UFO fanatic so the UFO part of this is something I really cant reply to, but its sounds like a good theory.<br /><br />H_C<br /><a href='http://www.waroftheworldsonline.com' target='_blank'>http://www.waroftheworldsonline.com</a>

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:53 pm 
Martian War Lord

Humm' I don't know, Mercury Theatre did a lot of the old classics, I have a copy of their 'Tresure Island'. so it's not surprising they would do WOTW or some other sci/fi classic.<br />The trouble with conspiracy theory groups is they start seeing conspiracies everywhere :alien32:<br /><br />Look out there's a green alien behind you, see everywhere :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:10 am 
Martian War Lord

Also at the begining of the broadcast the audiance was informed that it was a radio play. Some missed that or forgot but they were told.<br /><br />Orson just tried something a bit new in the way they broadcast a story and it backfired.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:47 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
Also at the begining of the broadcast the audiance was informed that it was a radio play. Some missed that or forgot but they were told. Orson just tried something a bit new in the way they broadcast a story and it backfired.

It didn't backfire at all. Mercury Theatre was about to go under, CBS network was about to axe the show, until that broadcast shot them to the top of the ratings. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

your there are yer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
your there are yer?

Sorry? I don't understand the question, please reiterate

Or were you talking to the little green alien behind you :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:35 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yer there are yer? Is Scouse for Smart Arse. ;) <br /><br />The little green alien behind me is my Mother! :alien5: <br /><br />Too may years on the sauce! :alien2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:05 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
The little green alien behind me is my Mother! 

Too may years on the sauce! 

And I see you've included a little picture of her .....Um...... which ones your mum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:35 pm 
Martian War Lord

Look Lonesome do you have to draw attention to the fact that she has to heads? She is right behind me after all and she reads all the stuff here.<br />Hold on, calm down mother its only a commercial, there that's better, take your pill, relax, let it all hang out, not like that, jeez, sorry you best turn away.<br />Right Mother back in your cage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:27 am 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
Look Lonesome do you have to draw attention to the fact that she has to heads? She is right behind me after all and she reads all the stuff here.Hold on, calm down mother its only a commercial, there that's better, take your pill, relax, let it all hang out, not like that, jeez, sorry you best turn away. Right Mother back in your cage.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:24 pm 

Horsell_Common wrote:
Bear with me on this one. Earlier today while taking a customers order we bagan to talk about TWOTW. This particular customer has a keen interest in UFO related incidents. He spoke about the 1938 Orson Welles Mercury Theatre production of The War Of The Worlds and how it was played out over the radio, the effect it had and the closing down of the broadcast. Its what he said that interested me, see what you think - He said his theory and others of his UFO group was that the whole thing was set up by the U.S goverment with the help of the 'Mercury Theatre', a kind of 'test' to see how the public and autorities would react to a UFO scare. Wanting to make the 'test' more realistic to the listener it was left to 'Mercury' to come up with the goods - TWOTW. The panic that followed showed what a success the 'test' was but the scale of the panic was something the goverment had not counted on, so the play was stopped. Orson Welles became the scapegoat for the goverment.

But why did they go ahead with this lavish 'test' - the late 30s gave way to UFO sighting on a large scale.

Now, Im not a UFO fanatic so the UFO part of this is something I really cant reply to, but its sounds like a good theory.

The UFO group needs to discuss a new topic: getting a life. The notion that the US government precipitated the Oct. 30, 1938 broadcast, or instigated it, is absurd. In nearly 30 years of fanatical familiarity with all apsects of this broadcast, including recording my own version in 1976, I have never seen any evidence for the assertions of the UFO group.

The group also needs to have speakers talk to them about the concept of "credibility." Their foolishness is for Art Bell's show. Incidentally, Welles's contract with CBS provided for CBS's indemnification of Welles for matters arising from any broadcast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:32 pm 
Tripod King

The government/UFO conspiracy theory has a major hole in it: The US Government did not get involved with UFOs until after World War II was over. Specifically, they didn't get involved until 1947, when Kenneth Arnold's "flying saucer" sighting started the modern series of UFO reports. Before then, such UFO reports as there were had been written off as poor observations of natural phenomena, hoaxes, or meteors, while of course those seen during wartime or the eve of war were suspected to be secret weapons of some terrestrial power. Before Arnold's sighting, the UFO phenomenon was simply below the interest level of every government in the world.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 12 posts ]