View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:49 pm 
Martian War Lord

Just reading an old article on "Why Do We Fear Martians?"<br /><br />FROM :<a href='http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/phenomena/war_worlds_fear_991029.html' target='_blank'>SPACE.COM</a><br /><br />So what are your views on the subject?

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:57 am 

-_- Hi Lee....I wonder if it is because of the way certain images have been planted in our subconsious over the years.The descriptive view of them by Wells(and the things they do to people).Wells images are the ones that scare me.Even in the 1953 film i find the Martians very menacing(specially when that one puts its hand(if you can call it a hand)on that womans shoulder.I think being fair,if there was ever life on Mars and they looked towards our planet and could see the way we depicted them,then maybe they would be horrified at us.Mars being the planet of war i think could have alot to do with our fears too!At the end of the day those Martians dont half get a bad rap from us. :)

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:17 am 
Martian War Lord

Your right there on the bad rap and so far its unjustified LOL<br /><br />Unless someone has met a martian?<br /><br />Post your meetings here :D <br /><br /> :aliean:

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:11 am 

:o I met a martian in my house...oh wait. It was my mum XD But she was pretty scary at 5am :oO<br />War of the worlds scares me. Especially the "Unscrewing of the Cylinder". It freaks me out. I love the vivid description of the martian though. ^^

The six guns we had seen now fired simultaneously, decapitating a Fighting Machine. The Martian inside the hood was slain, splashed to the four winds, and the body, nothing now but an intricate device of metal, went whirling to destruction. As the other Monsters advanced, people ran away blindly, the Artilleryman among them, but I jumped into the water and hid until forced up to breathe. Now the guns spoke again, but this time the Heat Ray sent them to oblivion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:47 am 

When i met my missus,i thought she was from Mars..................then it turned out that she was just from New York :lol: :lol: :lol: (If she sees this....getting eaten by the Martians would be a mild thing) :o

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:37 pm 

Nice article :)<br /><br />Anyways, I dont fear them, I read the book because they look like big yummy meatballs... Just remove the beak, and theyre tasty! :D<br /><br />Brown sauce with Martian, and some mashed potatoes...MMmmm... :)<br /><br />Actually I only found HG Wells' martians scary. The 58- movie just make them look seriously retarded. The eye thing was a cool idea, but they looked really retarded (especially with only three fingers...) It looked like some species had given away their automatic warmachines to some really stupid primates... fear the squids!

How to make a tripod:
1. Take a small wooden toy wheel (cheap in hobby stores)
2. Take three nails.
3. Figure the rest out yourself.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:56 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-The Improved Trog+Jan 26 2005, 07:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Improved Trog @ Jan 26 2005, 07:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Nice article :)<br /><br />Anyways, I dont fear them, I read the book because they look like big yummy meatballs... Just remove the beak, and theyre tasty! :D<br /><br />Brown sauce with Martian, and some mashed potatoes...MMmmm... :)<br /><br />Actually I only found HG Wells' martians scary. The 58- movie just make them look seriously retarded. The eye thing was a cool idea, but they looked really retarded (especially with only three fingers...) It looked like some species had given away their automatic warmachines to some really stupid primates... fear the squids!<br />[right][snapback]438[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I tend to agree with on that Trog, the martians in the 53' version are a bit poo. I agree that the wells ones seem more scary. <br /><br />I have also tried Martian with BROWN SAUCE mmmm Lovely, although I cant eat them with out the sauce that freckled taste is a bit tangy on its own :P

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:09 pm 
Martian War Lord

I thought I'd rekindle this one. The reasons why we fear Martians I think has something to do with their plausability. Mars is a close world, and a voyage between the two planets is very possible. They could be underground and studying us as we speak. <br />It is a scientific possabilty that Mars was once simmilar to Earth, had an atmosphere and multiple climates that could and did sustain life. Millions of years of evolution could have taken place before things got going on good old Terra. Maybe there is a remnant of life there now. the Victorians saw what they thought of as canals, and even when I was a kid it was still believed that they could be. Many Victorians believed in a Martian empire of some sort but inferior to our own. How dare any alien life be a match for us and this was one of the reasons Wells wrote the book. To belittle us, to say that out there, there could be life that makes us look like insignificant primatives. <br />But I think what makes Wells's Martians so horrifyingly scarey is their contempt of us, their lack of understanding, and disinterest in the human mind. <br />It is what they will reduce us to that is so scarey. Better to be exterminated completely than become cattle.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:37 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Loz+Mar 5 2005, 02:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loz @ Mar 5 2005, 02:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the Victorians saw what they thought of as canals<br />[right][snapback]1804[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />This is based on a bit of bad translation from Schiaparelli's statement, that he saw canali on the surface of Mars, "Canali" translates into channels not canals, which would surggest an intelligent mind on the planet, where Schaparelli only surggested the existence of water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ]