All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:47 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Martian Myster The New Master+Jan 14 2005, 12:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martian Myster The New Master @ Jan 14 2005, 12:33 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Has anyone noticed the bloke or something running in the background.<br /><br />I would post a capture but I havent got the software to do it, so here goes.<br /><br />As the camera pans up on Big Ben before its blown up, you can see something run past between the two buildings in the background, it looks like some bloke, weird.<br /><br />STRANGE<br />[right][snapback]102[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br /><br />Nope, I can't see that.... :unsure:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:54 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Jan 14 2005, 02:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Jan 14 2005, 02:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->its by no means definate but i was generally looking through some other WOTW forums earlier to see what opinion on the trailer was.  the opinion that it is an unfinished effect is not put forward by anyone better informed than you or i near as i can tell, but it is a popular theory, especially considering the somewhat better quality of sfx shots elsewhere in the trailer.  ill try and find a link to the discussion im referencing for you<br /><br />edit: here is a typical discussion on the topic: <a href='http://robk.proboards13.com/index.cgi?board=pendragon&action=display&num=1105569663' target='_blank'>http://robk.proboards13.com/index.cgi?boar...&num=1105569663</a><br />[right][snapback]112[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:01 pm 
Tripod King

the more i see that big ben bit the more im convinced that it is an unfinished shot put in place of the somewhat inappropriate river scene

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:05 pm 

I agree, Leper. Especially when the scene right before it states "Everyone into the water!", if I remember correctly (I'm at work right now, so havent watched the trailer today to confirm this). <br /><br />On an Aside, does anyone know if the cannon loading footage is stock footage, or filmed for the movie?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:33 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Evilnerfherder+Jan 13 2005, 10:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Evilnerfherder @ Jan 13 2005, 10:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The trailer is actually quite clever in places if you step back and think about it..<br />The woman in the music hall (in the novel, the Narrator's brother visits one on his travels) is singing a Gilbert and Sullivan song I'm reliably informed is from the Mikado called 'The Sun who's rays are all ablaze' with it's lyrics beginning 'I mean to rule the Earth...' . Quite fitting really.<br />[right][snapback]116[/snapback][/right][/quote]<br /><br />That is really clever and thanks for pointing it out. Infact I have confirmed that what she is singing is from Gibert 8 Sullivan's The Mikado Act II No. 13. "The sun, whose rays are all ablaze" <br /><br />Anyway I really love the trailer and expect the movie to be even better come march. Btw I find it slightly ridiculous that the victums of the tsumi recovering from an unimaginable disaster would have the time to watch a movie trailer or even care and if something in the trailer really does offend them then they need to get their priorities strait.<br /><br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:09 pm 

Well 'The Curate' - it's good to know you are so passionate about the film. They will need people like you.<br /><br />Sadly, the Spielberg film, whilst a variation on the theme, will make far more folk think about picking up the book. Pendragon's effort will have the reverse effect no doubt.<br /><br />I think that their decision to be faithful is fantastic, and I really want to enjoy the film when it comes out but I cannot blindly acceot the film. However, as mentioned in this thread, they are doing their best under tremendous adversity.<br /><br />But whilst it may be accurate, and it may be faithful, it still may not be a good film! And stamping your foot, and insulting folk isn't going to change that.<br /><br />On that note if you think Star Trek is only about effects then you obvisouly have never watched it. Please keep personal attacks off the board, and stick to adult debate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:48 pm 

I will keep this brief otherwise I'll rant on for several pages ;) <br /><br />Anyway I thought it was a very poor trailer indeed. If Pendragon thinks this is going to attract none WOTW fans to see they film I think they are kidding themselves. The seven people who I have shown it to so far have all used multiple profanities when describing what they though about it.<br /><br />I also don't accept the theory that they have put unfinished special effects scenes in. The Big Ben shot especially. Think about it. Tim Hines said that they cut two shots out, one of people boiling in the river and another of people trying to climb aboard a boat (I think) but being pushed back into the water. Even Pendragon who apparently know very little about making trailers know that they should end with a big 'money shot'... hence the big ben shot. Neither of the river shots would have served as a suitable closing shot. It does not make much sense to me that they quickly chucked in some unfinished shots. I don't have much belief that the effects will improve before its release.<br /><br />But the film just looks totally uninspired and very poorly done. And I am not just referring to special effects. <br /><br />Again I appreciate the thought behind it. But Pendragon remind me of Ed Wood in a way... they just seem to want to make films... even if they have no idea how.<br /><br />If people just want the words from the book spoken on film. They will probably love this. But I have no doubt that the Spielberg film will wipe the floor with the Pendragon film in all other respects. Just because it is going to be the book does not mean it will be a good film.<br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:20 am 

Well...It seems that the tripods in the movie are going to be the same ones in the concept art!<br /><br /><a href='http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/other/pendragon.jpg' target='_blank'>http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/other/pendragon.jpg</a><br /><br />Compare the legs to the ones in the trailer, as well as the 'arms' to that pic.<br /><br />Then again, it is concept art and therefore they probably changed some aspect of the finished product.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:42 am 
Tripod King

well i still believe the big ben shot is unfinished simply because the tripod legs are quite impressive and of much higher quality than the big ben shot. The big ben shot doesnt look textured properly and its missing things there is no reason for it to be missing like splash from debris hitting water. I think you could get a closing trailer shot from the river scene, and i really think that come febuary when the trailer actually gets into cinemas itll have been reworked a little.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:54 am 

Well, I agree with Leper Messiah! The big ben scene is not finished... I really hope so anyway.... :unsure:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:03 am 

That would indeed suck...<br /><br />Hey Myster, I see what...or 'who' you're talking about...although it looks more like a stick man...it's really really fast but you can see it. It occurs at 1:06 (only 1 second) you can see 'him' run by the the gap made by the buildings near the bottem of the frame.<br /><br />Indeed...Very Strange...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:19 am 

Yes, I can see him too now! Well... Just a man who is running for his life... Isn't it?!<br /><br />Anybody who can racall of a program that can take snapshots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:22 am 

I see the 'thing' now..<br />My first thought was that it could be a Tripod in the distance perhaps? Although it would be odd to have that shown so fleetingly that you can only see it by going through frame by frame. And it's a bit small..<br />All very puzzling...

http://evilnerfherder.proboards78.com/index.cgi?
My forum that takes in TWoTW, Sci Fi, Horror and anything else.

http://www.myspace.com/playingwithpylons -the new music project!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:45 am 
Tripod King

thats really odd, it looks like a man running but surely thats far too big to be a man?

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:40 am 

i have tried to watch the trailer this morning but the server seems to be down, anyone know why this is.<br />

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:04 pm 

grovy trailer

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:16 pm 

Have finally managed to watch pendragon trailer so here are my thoughts, woman singing and bits about before world war 2 etc are from the wrong film, sorry but they just look plain wrong.<br />Bits with tripod stepping on cannon and machine stripping woman look very promising and could be genuinely scary.<br />And bits with fireball and big ben just look plain stupid and should have been left out.<br />There are some elements to get very excited about so i'm not going to give up hope yet.<br />not just yet!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:17 am 

Maybe Smith from "The Matrix" was right about human beings baseing their reality on misery and suffering. I agree that some people no matter what will never be happy about anything. Honestly as a huge WOTW's fan I am looking foreward to both movies this year because as much as I love the original material I also have the understanding that movies and books are two different mediums that can both be equally entertaining. <br /><br />I'm just excited to see some of the things in the book I have only imagined come to life on the screen and from the looks of the trailer we will definatly get lots of those images and some new stuff. Personally I like that each generation for a century now has put their own spin and touch on WOTW's but still maintaining the basic premis and well if some of you just can't see that then thats to bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:04 pm 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Jan 15 2005, 08:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Jan 15 2005, 08:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Bits with tripod stepping on cannon and machine stripping woman look very promising and could be genuinely scary.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />the machine isnt stripping the woman is it? she seems to have the same clothes at the end of the clip as she did at the start<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Slopmaster+ Jan 16 2005, 04:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slopmaster @ Jan 16 2005, 04:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Maybe Smith from "The Matrix" was right about human beings baseing their reality on misery and suffering. I agree that some people no matter what will never be happy about anything. Honestly as a huge WOTW's fan I am looking foreward to both movies this year because as much as I love the original material I also have the understanding that movies and books are two different mediums that can both be equally entertaining.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />subscribing to philosophy from the matrix is a bad move, since its all cheap rip offs of big philosophers theories anyway, except the Matrix gets them wrong. I could look forward to the paramount version if it had anything of any sort to do with the story. I do look forward to the Pendragon version but i do have serious reservations about how good it will be, or rather how good it will be able to be.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:14 pm 

It looks like the machine is stripping the woman to me, (for consumption maybe) although i don't remember that from the book, maybe its just wishfull thinking!!!.<br />Anyway you have to grant them a little artistic licence, adding a few little extras is no bad thing as long as the the story is as close as possible to the original and that seems to be the problem with the cruise/spielberg version which seems to be moving away from originality with every article or photo i see connected to it.<br />I like the idea of the metallic looking machines and the electricity against the old world look of victorian england so i've got this feeling that we might be pleasantly suprised by the pendragon movie and seeing as hines seems to have the passion for the story that is sadly lacking in the cruise version ,i honestly think there is going to be some very raised eyebrows when the pendragon version finally breaks cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:27 pm 

Here be the little man running for his life :) <br /><br />Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:30 pm 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Jan 16 2005, 03:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Jan 16 2005, 03:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It looks like the machine is stripping the woman to me, (for consumption maybe) although i don't remember that from the book, maybe its just wishfull thinking!!!.<br />Anyway you have to grant them a little artistic licence, adding a few little extras is no bad thing as long as the the story is as close as possible to the original and that seems to be the problem with the cruise/spielberg version which seems to be moving away from originality with every article or photo i see connected to it.<br />I like the idea of the metallic looking machines and the electricity against the old world look of victorian england so i've got this feeling that we might be pleasantly suprised by the pendragon movie and seeing as hines seems to have the passion for the story that is sadly lacking in the cruise version ,i honestly think there is going to be some very raised eyebrows when the pendragon version finally breaks cover.<br />[right][snapback]224[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Of the two versions only one has any hope of telling the actual story and it is the Pendragon version. I should have said i dont have reservations about that, its what they will actually have the capability to do that i have reservations about<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-ScarletFeelers+Jan 16 2005, 04:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScarletFeelers @ Jan 16 2005, 04:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Here be the little man running for his life :) <br /><br />Image<br />[right][snapback]227[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />hmm surely in scale terms thats too big to be a man?

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:21 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Jan 16 2005, 06:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Jan 16 2005, 06:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->hmm surely in scale terms thats too big to be a man?<br />[right][snapback]230[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, i'm inclined to agree with you, but when seen with the previous frame when he starts to come into shot it is clearly a man running, and yes he is way out of scale with regard to his apparent setting.<br />Image<br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:48 pm 

Still looks like something off the cartoon network

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:36 am 
Tripod King

its still not confirmed to be a finished shot either

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page