View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 3 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:34 pm 
Advanced Member

In my humble opinion, the best horror movie of this decade so far has been American Nightmare (2002). It's an obscure, extremely low budget, direct-to-video feature that was shot in Texas by independent production company Highland Myst.<br /><br />The plot had serial killer Jane Toppan (B movie legend Debbie Rochon) targeting and bumping off a group of friends, on the first anniversary of killing the sister of one of the group. The gimmick is that she knows what each victim's greatest fear is, and uses it as the theme for their murder (which is particularly bad news for the girl who's terrified of being buried alive). <br /><br />(In case you think I've just ruined the plot by revealing the killer's identity, don't worry - American Nightmare doesn't play the guess-who-the-murderer-is game. Toppan's murderous intentions are revealed in the opening scene.)<br /><br />I think it's a great little film, and the good news is that a sequel is going into production in March. American Nightmares has Toppan carrying out a new series of killings in a single night, and taunting radio shock-jock Caligari (a background character in the first film) via live phone-in. Original writer/director Jon Keeyes will carry out the same duties, and hopefully Rochon (who was incredible in the first film) will reprise her role as the very disturbed Toppan.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:31 pm 

I never caught the first one but I'll seek it out. I've seen Debbie Rochon in a few things and she was pretty good.<br />I'm a bit of a fan of low budget horror anyway.

http://evilnerfherder.proboards78.com/index.cgi?
My forum that takes in TWoTW, Sci Fi, Horror and anything else.

http://www.myspace.com/playingwithpylons -the new music project!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:07 pm 
Advanced Member

Quote:
I never caught the first one but I'll seek it out.
<br /><br />If you find the original, I hope you enjoy it.<br /><br />You might want to check your nearest Virgin Megastore. The one in my town has American Nightmare on DVD for only £5.99. Bargain! <br /><br />

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 3 posts ]