Home Page Home Page  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 'War of the Worlds' worst film
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:51 pm 
Martian War Lord

My candidate for the worst film ever made has to be "War of the Worlds."

I'm talking about the 2005 Pendragon Pictures version.

There have been three films that have been adapted from the classic H.G. Wells novel.

The first "War of the Worlds" was produced in 1953, directed by Byron Haskin and starred Gene Barry and Ann Robinson. This outstanding film was the first to introduce us to the alien invasion and won an Academy Award for special effects.

The second was the Steven Spielberg blockbuster starring Tom Cruise.

The third was the 2005 film released by Pendragon Pictures starring Anthony Piana. While this film is the only one whose plot exactly follows the novel and has some interesting special effects, the movie is almost agonizing to watch. The entire film looks as if it had been filmed by people who had never operated a camera before. At least a fourth of the movie contained the same scenes of the lead character running through the countryside. More than half of the scenes seemed to be filmed at first in total daylight, then appear to happen at dusk.

If you see this DVD -- avoid it at all costs.

Kay Ratcliff

Barboursville

FROM: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbc ... 30301/1006

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject: I second that........
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:23 pm 

If we could use a ghostbuster analogie- imagine this DVD is one of the very powerfull traps in the movie, I would right now have the same transfixed stare on my face as Egon Spengler and would be saying to you "I LOOKED AT THE TRAP LEE"

THIS FILM IS A TRAVESTY and it pains me that the ONLY authentic movie of WotW is this. It embarrasses Wells masterpiece........

"It,ll be dark soon and they mostly come at night........MOSTLY!!!!"

"These pathetic earthlings are less intelligent than our own planets vegetation"

LORD SAVE US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 'War of the Worlds' worst film
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:38 pm 
Martian War Lord

eveofthewar wrote:
My candidate for the worst film ever made has to be "War of the Worlds."

I'm talking about the 2005 Pendragon Pictures version.

There have been three films that have been adapted from the classic H.G. Wells novel.

The first "War of the Worlds" was produced in 1953, directed by Byron Haskin and starred Gene Barry and Ann Robinson. This outstanding film was the first to introduce us to the alien invasion and won an Academy Award for special effects.

The second was the Steven Spielberg blockbuster starring Tom Cruise.

The third was the 2005 film released by Pendragon Pictures starring Anthony Piana. While this film is the only one whose plot exactly follows the novel and has some interesting special effects, the movie is almost agonizing to watch. The entire film looks as if it had been filmed by people who had never operated a camera before. At least a fourth of the movie contained the same scenes of the lead character running through the countryside. More than half of the scenes seemed to be filmed at first in total daylight, then appear to happen at dusk.

If you see this DVD -- avoid it at all costs.

Kay Ratcliff

Barboursville

FROM: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbc ... 30301/1006

One of Four actually. 3 made that year. The other is the Asylum version. crap in other ways.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:48 am 
Martian War Lord

And not forgetting 'Chicken Little' :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:14 am 

Resurrecting an old thread...
I liked the Asylum version. Really. So sue me. :P
As for Pendragon's... well.
Yeah it was pretty bad, But Anthony Piana was amazing in it.
The thing is, I can't work out why.
I just liked his cheeky cheese.
:lol:

http://evilnerfherder.proboards78.com/index.cgi?
My forum that takes in TWoTW, Sci Fi, Horror and anything else.

http://www.myspace.com/playingwithpylons -the new music project!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:39 pm 
Tripod King

"Worst film of all time?" Fess up, guys; aren't you letting your disappointment that the only "faithful to the novel" movie wasn't up to the first two's standards in special effects get the better of you? Yes, it would have been a much better movie if Spielberg's special effects team had worked on it, but was the acting of Piana, Kaufman, Lathrop, and the rest really any worse than that of Tom Cruise and what's-his-name (can't think of his name at the moment, the guy that combined Ogilvy, the curate, and the artilleryman in Spielberg's film)? Even restricted to sci fi films, was Hines' film worse than junk like, say, "Gamera" or "Plan 9 From Outer Space"?

I still think Hines' amateur film has a quaintness to it that makes it effective as a movie. At least his film had lots of action in it, unlike Spielbergs's film and the Asylum horror. It even achieves a certain pathos with the sinking of the galiant ship "Thunder Child" after that vessel gives the Martians their worst pre-disease butt-kicking. If this film had made it to the theaters, I'll bet the whole audience would have cheered when the warship rammed the second Martian and caused it to literally fly apart. (My biggest beef with Hines' directing? Breaking up the "Thunder Child" battle sequence into two parts to show the Narrator and the Curate in the celler.) And remember, guys, there may be yet another WOTW film on the horizon if a certain fellow ever gets done with his musical tour and gets down to CGI work, so the biggest disappointment film-wise may still be in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:28 am 
Martian War Lord

It wasn't the special effects that ruined it for me but terrible direction, bad acting, and awful editing, alongside very poor production, which matters with movies like this.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:13 pm 
Martian War Lord

I have seen fragments of it on YouTube, and the special effects were quite good.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:42 pm 
Martian War Lord

oever532 wrote:
I have seen fragments of it on YouTube, and the special effects were quite good.

No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! they were not!! everything I have seen concerning this film is awful, Acting; Directing; Special effects, dodgy camera work, Props that dodgy mustache (the horror, the horror :shock: ) the lighting and even the length of the film, in all the reviews I read no one had the stamina or the stomach to sit through the whole film in one sitting, too much awfulness to take in all in one go.

But that's just my opinion :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:43 pm 
Martian War Lord

I think they're quite laughable. I agree that most of that I saw were fake though...

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:15 pm 
Tripod King

For the sake of comparison, have any of you guys SEEN "Gamera" (the original one) or "Plan 9 From Outer Space"? Until you have, hold judgement about the worst sci fi films of all time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:32 am 
Martian War Lord

Alland wrote:
For the sake of comparison, have any of you guys SEEN "Gamera" (the original one) or "Plan 9 From Outer Space"? Until you have, hold judgement about the worst sci fi films of all time.

I have seen "Plan 9 From Outer Space" wasn't that one of Ed Wood's little gems? Yes those were awful, but we were told we were going to get 'MATRIX' style special effects, Actors Hollywood would swoon over and a budget of tens of millions, Ed Wood was trying to make his films for a few hundred dollars back in the 50s and just like Ed Wood it was all lies and crap. :a009:
We've only our selves to blame for being taken in by a trickster, :a091: He may have shattered my dreams but at least he got none of my money. :a019:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:39 am 
Martian War Lord

That's a good thing. Otherwise it would be a real waste of time AND money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:11 pm 

never seen it, and from the stills i ahve seen i dont wont to. Its as shame really as you look back the films with War of the Worlds, there prety darn good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:44 am 
Martian War Lord

Same here, never seen it and do not want to, I have seen little clips here and there and they're a joke. but not the funny kind of joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:12 am 

Hey, Lonesome Crow, if you'd like, you may borrow my dvd copy and let me know what you think about... oh, DARN! The region encoding won't let it work across the pond. Sigh. Your loss, I guess.

:wink: :P

Insert witty, yet philosophical remark here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:29 pm 
Martian War Lord

That's not a problem, I have a multi-regional DVD player, the problem would be if I borrowed your copy you wouldn't be able to play it, not after it had spent 10 minutes in my toaster, that's the trouble with crap films they make me forget the difference between toaster and DVD player. :a009:

Thanks for the offer though. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:21 am 

:lol:

Another option just occurred to me... I've heard of people hacking their single-region DVD players to become multi-region. I'll bet you'd be the first to hack your multi-region player to not play Region 1.
Ah, the toaster option's much simpler!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

craigr wrote:
I'll bet you'd be the first to hack your multi-region player to not play Region 1.

I couldn't do that, I wouldn't be able to watch my region 1 copy of 'Debbie does Dallas'. 8-[ Did I say that out loud? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:18 am 

You know, after all these years, I've never seen that. Mind if I borrow--AH! Um, er, ahem... nothing, nevermind. :---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:55 pm 
Martian War Lord

:a009: Nor have I :a009:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:22 am 

Well then.............I never posted any comment on Pendragons War of the Worlds.I'll give you lot one thing,yes its got its foibles but as i have always said and will continue to do so...........No-one has given us a definative and like it or not,the only definative to date is Pendragons.Therefore,whether any of us like it or not........Pendragons is the definative and is king.Spielberg has got his cash but both himself and George Pal have delivered nothing more than alien invasion concept films with some vague tip of the hat to Wells.American film directors have got the money to do it but no-one in Yanky land is going to see vasts amounts of cash done on a true adaptation which does not involve them and set in another country.This is the problem we have got with Well's book.Anyone know any very very rich english wells fans :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:22 pm 
Martian War Lord

The Curate 04 wrote:
.Anyone know any very very rich English wells fans :)

It's funny you should ask that, because at the moment over on SciFiShock.com: there is someone who is proposing to have a go at a remake and he's English. :D

The thread's called 'New WOTW film? Maybe, perhaps.... we'll see'

And here's a link http://evilnerfherder.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1690&page=1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:27 am 

Thanks for the link Lonesome,will have to have a look at that one.I know what your thinking.'The Curate...........oh god here we go again',LOLOL :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:41 pm 
Martian War Lord

Curate wrote:
I know what your thinking.'The Curate...........oh god here we go again',LOLOL :D

:lol: Not at all, you and 'Lepermessiah' Had some great threads going back in 04-05 and after you left there was a running gag going for about a year, Members claiming they had seen the Curate here, there and everywhere, you were missed.

I think you left before I posted my online comic of WotWs as seen from the Martian's point of view, it's called 'The Invasion of Earth' if you are interested you will find it in the Comic section of the forum. Here's a Link http://www.focusgaming.co.uk/eveofthewar/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1310&sid=28cd08599312378c2ef8c5a227b874bd

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next