Home Page Home Page  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:49 pm 
Martian War Lord

Respect Kidda!

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:59 pm 
Tripod King

indeed, Loz hit it perfectly. War Of The Worlds ending is awesome its a famous ending, just about anyone knows it, either by the book or the 53 film or the musical. And the reason its well known and stays in peoples mind is exactly because it wasnt "aliens get beat by humans in the end" humanity being pushed to the point of annihaltion and getting saved by pure fluke in the end is more morbidly fascinating than some fantasty tale about humans scoring a highly improbable victory over the aliens

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:06 pm 

I 'bathing' in your words lads but you must stop or i'll roll on my back and you'll have to tickle my tummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!woof :P

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:12 pm 
Martian War Lord

We appear to be forming a tripod here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:14 pm 
Tripod King

oi! bloody bandwagoners i was driving this 'ere cart long before you guys joined the fray :D

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:17 pm 

We are your humble servents Leper!!!!!!!!!! :P

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:27 pm 
Tripod King

very good, now go and clean out the original book forum :D

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:52 pm 
Martian War Lord

I forgot to say tripods are very unstable structures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:19 pm 

Ah but cruise likes making sequels so expect the expected my pedigree chums.

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:35 pm 
Tripod King

a sequel, now what fun that would be to rip it out of

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:49 pm 

I suspect that particular discussion/argument would run and run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:59 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 23 2005, 09:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 23 2005, 09:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->well its simple, the story goes that they die from infection by bacteria.  If you dont do that, its not the story and therefore not War Of The Worlds.  A new ending changes the story completely and an overthrow of the aliens by any human effort is unacceptable<br />[right][snapback]1286[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, I think this might be a bit of an overstatement. The essential element is that the aliens are defeated by something mankind deems insignificant, not by man himself. Wouldn't have to, absolutely, be bacteria (as in the book) for it to still fit, IMHO.<br /><br />I agree that overthrow by human power would be a big deviation (as in ID4's human geek-cleverness saving us all), and a disappointing one, but 'changes the story completely'?<br /><br />Yeah, if Spielberg has Cruise single-handedly vanquish the aliens by stength, or cleverness, or some other admirable human trait, it will be a disappointing failure to capture an important message in Wells' book.<br /><br />However, if, for instance, Spielberg has some variation, like maybe that the red weed, when adapted to earth, gives off a toxin that only kills aliens, you'd have a different (in detail) ending, but still have the essentials -- Aliens killed by something man does not control, not by man's own power. <br /><br />/two cents<br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:09 pm 
Tripod King

well yes, forgive me i wasnt trying to say the ending had to be ironclad to the book so help it god, but i do see how i might have given that impression, i suppose it could be adapted although i dont see the need for it. But yes what i was saying is that aliens beaten by humans = failure for the movie as a WOTW adaptation because that would change the story completely as the whole demonstration of mankind as being utterly crushed by the invaders wherever they come into contact with them would simply not be there anymore

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:30 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 28 2005, 12:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 28 2005, 12:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->well yes, forgive me...But yes what i was saying is that aliens beaten by humans = failure for the movie as a WOTW adaptation because that would change the story completely as the whole demonstration of mankind as being utterly crushed by the invaders wherever they come into contact with them would simply not be there anymore<br />[right][snapback]1574[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I do agree that to change the ending to where man somehow beats back the invasion by his/her own power, would, indeed, make the story fizzle at the end. That's where ID4 fell flat. While ID4 had CGI effects to keep one entertained during the film, the fizzle ending gave no post-movie musing.<br /><br />But a counter example would be the 'ending' of Signs, in which it still wasn't mankind that forced the aliens to cancel the invasion, but something lowly like water. However, the departuer of the aliens in Signs fell flat (for me) as it still carried the man-did-it element -- people around the world learned that hosing down the aliens killed them. Water was the toxin, but still it was man who did it. Like in ID4, it was a computer virus (as though those were naturally occurring?) but man delivered it.<br /><br />It's a delicate ending Wells used. I think variations are certainly possible, but it seems awfully easy to muck it up by letting man take the credit. That would definitely be a let-down. Aliens which can be knocked out by an airforce pilot, just aren't very scary (icky looking, yes, but not as scary)<br /><br />I guess we can only hope Spielberg doesn't pander to audience machismo. Let something else -- not us -- save us. It's good for us to be humbled. :-)<br /><br />-- cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:40 pm 
Tripod King

the thing i cant understand is, if they dont plan on having humans being the reason behind the martian downfall, why change the ending at all (thats with reference to Speilbergs comment about the ending "neither straying from nor mimicking" the book)

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:04 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 28 2005, 12:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 28 2005, 12:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the thing i cant understand is, if they dont plan on having humans being the reason behind the martian downfall, why change the ending at all (thats with reference to Speilbergs comment about the ending "neither straying from nor mimicking" the book)<br />[right][snapback]1580[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hmmm. Perhaps because Hollywood worries that a large chunk of its market (audience) goes to movies for surprise endings. They (might) think that if everyone knows that it's germs that stop the aliens, that they won't care to see the movie. (along the lines of how people won't read a book if someone tells them 'the butler did it')<br /><br />Spielberg's double-speak could just be smoke screen for the fact that his ending IS similar to Wells'. That is, humans don't defeat the aliens, but something rather humble does. (wouldn't have to be germs, exactly) <br /><br />However, such double-speak also leaves room for Tom Cruise to find a stash of RPGs, and single-handedly destroy the alien's snacks depot (a nod to Zim) forcing them to retreat.<br /><br />I sure hope not. Maybe it's cockroaches that infest the aliens' machines and chew up their wiring. You know, things too small to see through powerful scrutinizing telescopes? That wouldn't stray from Wells, but wouldn't be a mimick -- exactly. <br /><br />(trying not to be a pessimist)<br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:14 pm 

I have a feeling it will be something similar to the book. There's so much talk about Cruise's character being an average joe just trying to keep his family safe and about the "realism" of the story that having events resolved outside of his control would make more sense thematically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:36 am 

It sounds like the end will hopefully be kept. However, the main concern is why they attack now, since it sounds like a promise from Steve; why attacking? They aint martians, so why come all this way to kill us? Surely Alpha Centauri is somewhat closer than earth for them... ID4- evil aliens, George Pal- evil aliens. HG Wells gave them a reason(as explained in the first chapter, a litte later too) just "we gonna blow stuff up like mad rednecks" isnt a reason. A species need human-like emotions to evolve and not the mind of a mindless killing machine all the time.

How to make a tripod:
1. Take a small wooden toy wheel (cheap in hobby stores)
2. Take three nails.
3. Figure the rest out yourself.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:47 am 
Tripod King

the martians didnt display much sign of human style emotion Trog, but yes the motivation of the aliens is something that i think just wont be explained, which is of course terrible

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:51 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-The Improved Trog+Mar 1 2005, 01:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Improved Trog @ Mar 1 2005, 01:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It sounds like the end will hopefully be kept. ... "we gonna blow stuff up like mad rednecks" isnt a reason. A species need human-like emotions to evolve and not the mind of a mindless killing machine all the time.<br />[right][snapback]1592[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Agreed. The ID4 aliens were more of the redneck strain -- possessed of some wierd hate for American architectural landmarks, but not much else. That doesn't seem like enough motivation to come all that way.<br /><br />But then too, I could easily imagine the Tasmanians thinking, "What's the point of all this killing and destruction? Why did these aliens come all this way just to burn our villages and shoot us with their killing sticks? Surely there must be villages closer to Bri-ton they could torch."<br /><br />Wells' aliens wanted our planet for their new home. That added weight to the invasion. They weren't just here to blow up our landmarks, but to clear us all out of the way so they could move in. AND, to stay on topic, why the microbe ending offered some hope. Turned out the planet (ecosystem) was itself too much for them (i.e. not a good new home after all).<br /><br />The ID4 aliens were blown up before they got to finish blowing up stuff, but there were, presumably, more of them out there. Earth still had a few landmarks left. Not much hope in THAT ending.<br /><br />-- cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

The Martians had evolved into beings without hormones or even a digestive system and therefor didn't feel the effects of mood or emotion, brought on by an eratic hormonal system or poor diet, both of which cause behavoiral problems.<br /> Tthey looked up on us as lowly as we see insects such as a colony of ants and chose to take our world and reduce the human race into little more than feeding stock.<br />Oh yeah, and after several weeks of assertian on our planet, they all drop dead of the flu. Or was it chicken pox? Mumps maybe? Typhoid? Dyptheria? Whooping Cough? Measles? Hepitytus B? Who knows for sure which one of our Earthly bugs got them evil sons-a-bitches. Alls we really know is it was definately a BUG that got them! BACTERIA if you wanna get all posh about it! it's like saying when making a film about the life of Jesus and your doing the Cruscifixtion, and the director and lead actor decide to change the cross into something similar!!!<br /> "Well you know people know that in the Bible he dies on a cross, but in our film version we want to keep them guesing and still get a surprice at the enhd, so we've changed it but at the same time haven't" Wink , wink! "Action!"<br /><br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:48 pm 

I thought the reason that the martians invaded earth was because they had depleted all they're planetary resources and looked to earth purely as a way to preserve they're race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:49 pm 
Martian War Lord

Here's Mr Wells' reason for the Martian invasion.<br /><br /> Nor was it generally understood that since Mars is older than our earth, with scarcely a quarter of the superficial area and remoter from the sun, it necessarily follows that it is not only more distant from time’s beginning but nearer its end. <br /> The secular cooling that must someday overtake our planet has already gone far indeed with our neighbour. Its physical condition is still largely a mystery, but we know now that even in its equatorial region the midday temperature barely approaches that of our coldest winter. Its air is much more attenuated than ours, its oceans have shrunk until they cover but a third of its surface, and as its slow seasons change huge snowcaps gather and melt about either pole and periodically inundate its temperate zones. That last stage of exhaustion, which to us is still incredibly remote, has become a present-day problem for the inhabitants of Mars. The immediate pressure of necessity has brightened their intellects, enlarged their powers, and hardened their hearts. And looking across space with instruments, and intelligences such as we have scarcely dreamed of, they see, at its nearest distance only 35,000,000 of miles sunward of them, a morning star of hope, our own warmer planet, green with vegetation and grey with water, with a cloudy atmosphere eloquent of fertility, with glimpses through its drifting cloud wisps of broad stretches of populous country and narrow, navy-crowded seas. <br /><br />They just want our planet cause theirs is dying. It's as simple as that.<br />

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:48 pm 
Tripod King

indeed, its a motivation, and i hope that it is explained in the Speilberg film what their motivation is.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2