Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 14 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 2005 Paramount-inspired artwork by my sons
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:09 pm 

Here are some pics of artwork inspired by the 2005 Paramount version of War of the Worlds. My older son is 10, and my younger son is 9.
Enjoy!

Insert witty, yet philosophical remark here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

:a103: =D> =D> These are excellent, If you had told me they were the work of a 12 & 13 year old I would have still been impressed, There's a good use of perspective in a couple of the drawings, which gives a good impression of height and I like the explosion on the invisible shield.
The models are also very good, your younger son's looks a little stiff and stilted but his brother's has a really good dramatic pose, both are brilliant for their age. =D> =D> How big are they? (the FMs, not your sons) they look quite big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:28 am 

](*,) I forgot to mention the details of the models!
They are constructed from standard (for the US) 8.5" x 11" photocopier paper, and the younger son's stands at just about 11" tall. The older son's model would be the same height, but the bent legs reduce it a little, to around 9". Photographing them from a low angle really makes them look more imposing... that's a great hint for all you amateur photographers out there, especially if you're photographing models of any kind; get low, to simulate an 'eye-level' point of view, rather than a 'bird's eye' view.

My younger son is already working on a second model, in order to out-do his older brother; competition keeps the creativity going! The new one looks like it will be a little bigger, have a more dynamic pose and is going to be in colour. He's got several of the components drawn & coloured, with assembly to come soon-ish.
FYI, the static pose on his first model was partially due to the first scene in which the tripod appears: after it rises to full height from the intersection, it just stands there and utters its first 'cry' over the stunned crowd. That scene made quite an impression on my son, and he used it as a basis for his model. My older son wanted to show more action, and so had his tripod 'walking.'

As for the drawings & use of perspective, both boys have understood for years that things get smaller the further they are from the viewer. I've not yet trained them about formal perspective (vanishing points, etc), and I don't think they've yet delved into it in school, but it's neat to see the attempt at formal perspective already being made on the angled house in the second drawing.

Anyway, THANKS! I'll show both boys your comments. My younger son will be glad you noticed his 'shield sfx' on the drawing.

edited to fix typos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:37 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yes, a clever bit of camera work there, the model tripod in the second pic looks as if it could be 2 to 3 feet high.
I look forward to seeing your son's latest work, :-k although bigger could mean more unstable unless you use thicker paper, but I'm sure you've thought of that.
I hope my comment about your younger son's tripod looking "a little stiff and stilted" wasn't taken the wrong way 8-[ it wasn't meant as a criticism, but as a way of showing my appreciation of the dramatic pose of your older son's work, no offence meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:46 am 

As we say where I work: "It's all good."
In other words, no offence taken by me nor by my son.

Both boys were excited to see their stuff online, and have enjoyed the comments so far. Thanks from both of them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:44 pm 
Martian War Lord

These are fantastic pieces of artwork. Great model and great drawings. I agree with Lonesome. Very talented for their age. I was drawing a lot of album inspired FM's at 9 and they sucked compared to these.

I'm really impressed. The drawings have that beauty of child art/action. I can hear your son making the sounds of the explosions as he draws them.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:52 pm 
Martian War Lord

That's frigging awesome! :a103: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:26 pm 

I'll be posting a drawing (pre-colour and post-colour) by my older son soon, once I get it re-sized & captioned.

Yes, both of them make sound effects whilst drawing & building. I think they picked that up from me! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:56 am 
Martian War Lord

:a103: Whoa! I used to do that too...

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

craigr wrote:
Yes, both of them make sound effects whilst drawing & building. I think they picked that up from me! :wink:

8-[ Oh good, I'm glad it's not just me then :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:33 am 

Well, this took longer to accomplish than I'd anticipated, but here at last are a couple more bits of artwork from my sons!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:57 pm 
Martian War Lord

You say your son's drawing are like blueprints, I see what you mean but what I really noticed was the way one object overlays another, this is a concept that is unusual for young kids to grasp, if you place an orange in front of an apple and ask a kid to draw them, they will almost always draw them side by side, even if they can't see the whole apple they will draw the whole apple, your son has gone past this stage at an early age, so well done to him. =D> =D>

And I like your younger son's 'Invasion of the Dust Bunnies' :lol: but don't tell him or he'll think that's how you're meant to clean a TV [-X :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:13 am 

I've always tried to teach my kids to draw what they see, rather than what they know about a subject. (It helped me a lot in high school, when I was trying to paint pictures of clear objects.) Looks like the idea helped the next generation, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:12 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yes clear objects and objects with a reflective surface are always tricky.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 14 posts ]