Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:23 pm 
Tripod King

Zulu

"SUCH POWER EXISTS?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:24 pm 

My favourite film of all time: The Sure Thing (1985)

Favourite sci-fi movie: Dark City (1998)

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Did you know the "The Mouth of Sauron" was played by Bruce Spence, who played the The Gyro Captain from the Mad Max films? an under rated actor.

Incidentally, Spence also appears in Dark City, and The Matrix trilogy (as 'the Trashman' in Revolutions), and the Star Wars series (he turns up in Revenge of the Sith). Go Bruce!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:54 am 

Far too many to list but my top most viewed films at Sentient Towers included:

Blade Runner
Dune
Blade
Excaliber
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Clockwork Orange
Forbidden Planet
Death Race 2000
The Goonies
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Mad Max - all
American Graffiti
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Little Shop of Horrors
Labyrinth
Barbarella
Tommy
The Shawshank Redemption
Reservoir Dogs
McVicar
Fight Club
Lock, stock and two smoking barrels
Quadrophenia
Pulp fiction
Donnie Darko
Made in England
Flash Gordon
Ghostbusters. \:D/
Any Monty Python film

I've yet to watch Brazil. AllI've seen is a small bit of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:01 pm 
Martian War Lord

'Brazil' is good, strange (you expect that from Terry Gillian) but good =D>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:37 pm 
Tripod King

I've got a list:

Suspence: The Birds, with Rod Taylor and Tippi Hedren. Hitchcock himself said that it was probably the most terrifying movie he'd ever done.

War (assuming you mean 20th Century war, to separate it from historical epics): The Battle of the Bulge, with Henry Fonda, Robert Ryan, and Robert Shaw, among others in an all-star cast. Borderline war/epic is the TNT movie Rough Riders, with Tom Berenger, Sam Elliott, and Gary Busey, along with the late Brian Keith as President McKinley. The Elmer Bernstein music will make you weep. (How about another thread, this one on the writers of great movie music?) Runners-up include The Enemy Below (Robert Mitchum and Kurt Jurgens as an American destroyer skipper and U-boat commander playing cat-and-mouse with each other), Tora! Tora! Tora!, and None But the Brave (Frank Sinatra, Clint Walker, and Tommy Sands head a unit of Marines whose transport plane crash-lands on a Japanese-held island). Sinatra himself produced and directed the film. Oh, and the writing was done by Howard Koch, whom everyone on this board should recognize as the guy who wrote the radio play version of WOTW. Finally, the special effects were done by Eiji Tsuburaya, who did the first few Japanese monster films, including the original version of Godzilla.

Historical Epic: While the two Zulu movies are on my short list, my favorite is a tie between two of Charlton Heston's epics: Khartoum (with Lawrance Olivier as the Mahdi) and The War Lord (with Rosemary Forsyth and Richard Boone). Sci fi note: the priest in the film is Maurice Evans, who went on to appear with Heston in the first two Planet of the Apes movies as the orangutan leader Doctor Zaius, while the haunting medieval musical score is by Jerome Moross, who also did the rollicking western music for Harryhausen's The Valley of Gwangi. Runners-up include the Heston epics El Cid and 55 Days in Peking, as well as Spartacus (the original with Kirk Douglas). I also loved the 1950s version of Helen of Troy, plus the modern Troy with Brad Pitt.

Religious Epic: A tie between Ben Hur and Quo Vadis. If you see the scene in the latter movie where Peter Ustinov's Nero explains in advance why he burned Rome, you'll know why he won an award for Best Supporting Actor in that film. His main competition was Leo Genn in the same film, in his role as Petronius.

Horror: A lot of Vincent Price's stuff, including Theatre of Blood, where our American import knocks off a lot of your prominent British performers. (I'm too old-fashioned to enjoy gore for gore's sake films.)

Sci Fi: The modern remake of King Kong. Runners-up include the original, the 1953 WOTW, all three Jurassic Park movies, Independence Day, and Harryhausen's The Valley of Gwangi.

Comedy: No contest; it's the long, all-star cast film It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, sort of an earlier and funnier version of Rat Race. For shorter stuff, I like Start the Revolution Without Me, with Gene Wilder and Donald Sutherland. A French Revolution comedy, think of it as a Mel Brooks comedy done by someone other than Mel Brooks.

Comedy/Drama: The original version of Ocean's Eleven, with Frank Sinatra and his Rat Pack: Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford, and Joey Bishop (the last survivor, who only died a couple weeks ago).

Westerns: Straight western: The Comancheros, with John Wayne and Stuart Whitman. Epic western: John Wayne's version of The Alamo. The Duke not only starred in it as Davy Crockett, but also produced and directed it, and even started his own company to make it. He also had to find creative ways to get his old director John Ford out of the way when the latter showed up and tried to muscle in on the workings. Short Civil War western: Shenandoah, with Jimmy Stuart and Doug McClure. Have a box of tissues handy for the last quarter of the film. Western Comedy (a major subgenre in itself): The Hallelujah Trail, with Burt Lancaster, Lee Remick, Jim Hutton, Donald Pleasance, and Brian Keith. Sci fi western: The Valley of Gwangi, starring the late James Franciscus.

Musicals: Don't watch too many of those, but I love the musical comedy How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, with Robert Morse, Michelle Lee, and Rudy Vallee. I also liked A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum. For serious musicals, I'll settle for Camelot, with Richard Harris, Vanessa Redgrave, and Franco Nero.

Novels Brought to the Screen: My favorite is the 1950s version of Moby Dick, with Gregory Peck as Ahab, Richard Baseheart as Ishmael, and Leo Genn as Starbuck. Again, the music is hauntingly beautiful. Runner's-up include Richard Chamberlain's versions of both Shogun and The Count of Monte Cristo; the Disney version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Master of the World with Vincent Price as Robur the Conqueror; the 1948 version of The Three Musketeers, with Gene Kelly as D'Artangan, Lana Turner as Milady, Van Heflin as Athos, and Vincent Price as Cardinal Richelieu; The Time Machine with Rod Taylor; and even---though I know you'll choke on this---Hines' faithful version of WOTW. I also like the British made-for-TV version of Ivanhoe with James Mason, Sam Neil, Julian Glover, John Rhys-Davies, and Michael Hordern, Five Weeks in a Balloon with Cedric Hardwick, and the old David Niven version of Around the World in 80 Days.

Disaster Movies: I've seen old and new ones, and the oldies are still the best. Top favorite is The Towering Inferno with Paul Newman and Steve McQueen, followed by the original Airport movie with Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin; The Swarm with Michael Caine; and the historically-faithful Titanic movie A Night to Remember, starring Kenneth More, and based on Walter Lord's historical work of the same name.

Modern Action/Adventure: Three films, all taking place in Africa. First is Hatari, the first movie John Wayne did after slaving away on his Alamo epic, also starring Red Buttons and Bruce Cabot. The former died less than a year ago, and the latter was Jack Driscoll in the original King Kong. The other film is Congo, the movie that made Laura Linney a star. The final epic is the Sahara Desert survival flick Flight of the Phoenix, with Jimmy Stuart as captain of a crashed commercial transport plane. (Stuart actually flew a heavy bomber in World War II, rose to the rank of squadron commander on his own merits, and would have made wing commander---according to his superiors---if the war had lasted longer.)

Animated Films: Don't see too many animated full-length films, so my favorite with the TV movie version of The Hobbit, with Orson Bean as the voice of Bilbo and Richard Boone as Smaug.

Documentary: Aside from miniseries stuff such as the various Walking With Films and Blue Planet, my favorite is the African wildlife documentary Animals Are Beautiful People, put out by Jamie Uys of The Gods Must be Crazy fame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:46 pm 
Martian War Lord

I agree with you about Gore for gore sake movies, they're not my sort of thing, you can keep your 'Freddies', 'Jasons' and 'Chainsaw massacres', I would much rather have the suspense without the blood n' guts, it's not that I'm squeamish, it's just that I don't think it's necessary, The suggestion is often more effective than the imagery (like the shower scene in Psycho)
I've not seen or even heard of TV movie version of The Hobbit, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
I'm also surprised no one has made a movie of the Hobbit, after the huge success of Peter Jackson's 'Ring trilogy'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

I've also enjoyed the triology of The Matrix as well as Garfield: The Movie. They were (recently) broadcasted on TV.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:03 am 
Tripod King

"The Hobbit" was a made-for-TV animated film dating way back to the 1970s on American TV. The major dealers should have it; it's available on both VHS and DVD format. Aside from Bean and Boone, the voice cast includes Hans Conreid as Thorin Oakenshield, John Huston as Gandalf and the narrator, and even Otto Preminger as the Elfking. Tolkien's poetry is taken from his pages and set to music, with appropriate singing voices. In the goblin scenes, for instance, they use rather thick, coarse, oily voices when singing "Welcome to Goblin Town" and "Fifteen Birds in Five Fir Trees".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:46 pm 
Martian War Lord

Ah, it may not be available in the UK, I check it out on the net.

Cheers Alland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:33 pm 
Martian War Lord

I rarely watch any movies that come in theatres these days. I'm looking forward to movies which attract my interest; heavy action mainly (like the Die Hard movies)

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:02 am 
Martian War Lord

I tend to go for movies with lots of CGI special affects, like the Jurassic Park trilogy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:59 pm 
Martian War Lord

I like those movies too. It amazes me how they managed to make those dinosaurs so realistic! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

Harryhausen was brilliant at what he did with stop-frame animation but good CGI can look real.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:42 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yeah. I almost thought they were real at first, like the shark from Jaws 1.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2