Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 19 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Things to Come: Special Edition
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:26 pm 

Save your pennies for this one. The restored version of "Things to Come" will be released on 7th May. It will contain footage cut from the film after it's original release in 1936 plus a restoration with stills and dialogue of missing scenes. There will also be a commemorative booklet plus an interview with Ralph Richardson recorded in 1975 where he'll presmably talk about his role as The Boss of Everytown.

P.S. If you want to know what I look like I'm on the front cover of next week's Radio Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Things to Come: Special Edition
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:08 am 
Tripod King

morrisvan wrote:
The restored version of "Things to Come" will be released on 7th May. It will contain footage cut from the film after it's original release...

Bloody hell!

morrisvan wrote:
...I'm on the front cover of next week's Radio Times

Bloody hell!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:06 pm 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
P.S. If you want to know what I look like I'm on the front cover of next week's Radio Times

:lol: Half Dalek half Human, like it :lol:

:-k I've never seen "Things to Come", it may be worth getting, cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:51 pm 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
Save your pennies for this one. The restored version of "Things to Come" will be released on 7th May. It will contain footage cut from the film after it's original release in 1936 plus a restoration with stills and dialogue of missing scenes. There will also be a commemorative booklet plus an interview with Ralph Richardson recorded in 1975 where he'll presmably talk about his role as The Boss of Everytown.

Are you in the costume?

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:55 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
Are you in the costume?

If he is his real name is Eric Loren and he played a Cyclops in Clive Barkers 1990 film 'Nightbreed'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:02 am 
Martian War Lord

I don't like the idea of half Dalek half Human. They did that in Ressurection of The Daleks with Colin Baker.

Why can't they just have aripping good Dalek story instead of keeping putting a twist on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:13 pm 

Loz wrote:
I don't like the idea of half Dalek half Human. They did that in Ressurection of The Daleks with Colin Baker.

Why can't they just have aripping good Dalek story instead of keeping putting a twist on it?

That depends on what the Daleks are up to in this story. Apprantely only a handful of them are left now and they are desperate to survive in some form or another. Also I imagine the Dalek Supreme (the Black Dalek) may have a score to settle with the Doctor considering he sent his force into the void at the end of the last series.

When I saw that cover it was quite startling. All right some people will whinge about it giving the game away, but any potential viewer seeing that will think to themselves: "Its a Dalek story, but what's that creature doing in it? I must watch." Also, in "Revelation of the Daleks," they were simply re-conditioned human brains fitted into the casings. This one, as well as looking more impessive is (seemingly) humanoid, and can move around freely unlike the Dalek creatures themselves. Could they be turning up in the season finale I wonder?

As for myself, it does take some time for me to tuck my tentacles under the wig I put on in the morning, and I don't wear a tie to work now, I feel they strangle me. If you want an example of a human/Dalek hybrid look at David Gest. No one could be as werid as him!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:50 pm 
Martian War Lord

I enjoyed it. One of the better ones. I bought the human dalek because it was the Dalek cult who initiated it, and they are different and twisted. I loved the way it spoke. What happened to all the machinery in inside the Dalek though? I don't remember there being anything like enough space for a human to get into.

I know they did in Hartnel's day but when the Dalek opened in Dalek two years ago, there wasn't all that space.

I loved it's voice though.

Hated the pig slaves too like the pig creature in Season One.

What is it with RT Davis and bloody pigs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:13 pm 
Tripod King

Loved it, but like you Loz, I wasn't keen on the pig-men. What was the point? Seems like a lot of trouble to go to just to create slaves - yet in Dalek Invasion of Earth (either film or serial), the Daleks created the Robomen without all that mucking around. It just seemed to be an excuse for more makeup effects and a bit of 'yuck' factor grotesquerie.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:14 am 

Maybe Davies dosen't like pigs. George Orwell didn't which is why he made them the heavies in "Animal Farm". Also William Hope Hodgson has a huge pig-like monster appear in one of his Carnacki stories: "The Hog", and in "The House on the Borderland," his narrator is besieged by a race of pig-like monsters and has a vision of another in a dream. So maybe Hodgson didn't like pigs either.

Considering that Dalek panels were bolted on the mast of the Empire State Building, the Daleks are obviously cannibalisling themselves and I would guess the Black Dalek had all the machinery removed from his casing as well, and was just running on a very basic life-support system (which may explain why he rarely moved round and just kept to within or near a bay which was probably helping keeping him alive) and his casing converted into an incubation/birthing chamber ready for the suitable subject to be converted. It also explains why one Dalek only ever came up to the Building and yes, the Pig Slaves. As Davies has said, the Daleks always need people to do their dirty work.

I thought David Tennant gave his best performance in this series so far: restrained and grim-faced. Also wasn't it disturbing the way he manipulated Martha into asking the questions while he slunk into the background?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:09 am 
Tripod King

morrisvan wrote:
I thought David Tennant gave his best performance in this series so far: restrained and grim-faced.

Absolutely agree.
morrisvan wrote:
Also wasn't it disturbing the way he manipulated Martha into asking the questions while he slunk into the background?

Aye, it just goes to show how seriously he takes the Daleks. It's gloves-off time where they're concerned.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:14 am 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
Maybe Davies dosen't like pigs. George Orwell didn't which is why he made them the heavies in "Animal Farm". Also William Hope Hodgson has a huge pig-like monster appear in one of his Carnacki stories: "The Hog", and in "The House on the Borderland," his narrator is besieged by a race of pig-like monsters and has a vision of another in a dream. So maybe Hodgson didn't like pigs either.

you can include H.P Lovecraft in you list of pig haters, in 'Rats in the walls' the main character keeps dreaming about human-faced pigs.

And yes I also enjoyed last nights episode, it reminded me of the opening sequences of Peter Jackson's 'King Kong'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

I'd still have preferred it if the Daleks had used some sort of gene splicer like in The Fly. They are more than capable of inventing stuff with our resources, without canibalizing themselves. They are great adapters. Remember Death to the Daleks, where the city drains their power and they invint projectile weapons within a few hours?
And the biological weaopons they create in Planet of the Daleks and the experimenting on humans is something they've done before, in Evil of the Daleks, which this reminded me of a little and Ressurection of the Daleks.

Do you think we will ever see Davros again?

The Master is back soon played by John Simm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:16 pm 

It's interesting that the Doctor has shown a more manipulative side this series. Examples include the Doctor tricking Anne Reid's vampric killer into drinking his blood; thus giving herself away to the Judoon, and enticing Martha to come with him when she is fed up with her squabbling family. It'll be interesting to see how Martha's selfish parents and siblings react when the Doctor comes crashing into their world just as he did with the Tylers.

What I liked about last night's episode were the atmospheric recreation of Depression New York with the ironic contrast between the shanty town overlooked by the Empire State Building; Soloman and Tallulah quickly guessing the Doctor's alien origins and the fact that the Daleks have already arrived and have put their plans into operation long before the Doctor arrives. Having the viewer know in advance before the Doctor is a nice dramatic idea used in "Evil of the Daleks," "Day of the Daleks," "Ressurection of the Daleks" and "Revelation of the Daleks." (And if you thought the episode was deriative ripping off "Evil" and "Day", well Eric Saward did it in"Ressurection" in 1984.)

Aren't we jumping to conculsions that the Master's coming back? The Face of Boe could have been referring to another Time Lord although knowing the Doctor's luck it'll probably be a renegade one. As for the Master, Roger Delgado's suave potrayal was suitable for Jon Pertwee's Doctor. But when the character was brought back in the 1980s it looked old-fashioned and out of place. I wasn't enamoured with Anthony Ainley's potrayal (except for "Logopolis" and "Survival" where he had good material.) Eric Roberts in the TV movie had presence but was given little to do.

If the Master does come back then we can rely on John Simm giving the character the clout he needs. It should be quite a clash of acting heavyweights.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:46 am 

Where is everyone. Well here's something for you to talk about.

What did you think of "Evolution of the Daleks"? Despite the tonque in cheek references to thirties horror films - huge laboratories with bubbling test tubes and large levers being pulled to operate machinery, operating tables raised into the ceiling and thunder and lighting - it was very grim with the highest body count seen in the series so far. Some people will complain that David Tennant overacted, but to me it felt right that his restraint gave way to anger over the death toll and the Daleks reverting back to type. I thought his disgust over the humbling of Dalek Sec was well conveyed and at times, Tennant's performance reminded me of Christopher Ecclestone's confrontations with the Daleks. The Time War is returning to haunt Tennant's Doctor just as it did with his predecssor. Other examples of the Doctor's manipulative streak were of his slipping his psychic paper to Martha and quietly promting Laszlo to be ready when needed. Also, was it desperation or cunning that made him grab hold of the mast just before the lighting strike?

I liked how Martha took the lead in several scenes whether bluffing her way into the Empire State Building, tracking down the Dalekanium plates and rigging up the makeshift lighting rod to deal with the pig slaves. Freema Aygeman has proved herself to be a strong actress and a worthy successor to Billie Piper and Catherine Tate. I also felt that Eric Loren, despite the difficulties of acting under heavy make-up and animatronics, was memorable as the sympathetic but tragic Dalek Sec. For once a Dalek that wanted to good but was scuppered by his sub-ordinates. I liked the scene with two of the cult Daleks expressing their doubts: the Dalek looking round to make sure he wasn't overheard was a clever touch. This and the other scenes of the Daleks discussing their future, the coup against Dalek Sec and their unhesitating extermination of Soloman after he's tried to reason with them and their hybrids have helped rehabilitate them as complex, cunning, ruthless beings rather than the thick heavies they've sometimes come across as.

Yes some people will say that the idea of Dalek/human hybrids has been done before in "Evil of the Daleks", but it was forty years ago and many people - myself included - haven't seen it. Also there are a lot of new viewers to "Doctor Who" to whom the idea would have been new so let's leave it at that. Loz, you were asking if we could have a ripping good Dalek story. I think we've just had one.

Next week: "The Lazarus Experiment" and I'm interested as to how Martha's family react to the Doctor. Mark Gatiss is back and he's currently adapting his novel "The Vesuivius Club" for TV (It's finally prompted me to read it. Has anyone else?). And whatever is that thing. It certainly isn't local?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:52 am 

RE THINGS TO COME:

Lonesome, I would recommend "Thing to Come" as whatever it's faults it's an important film not just in the sci-fi genre but also in the British film industry. It dominates the landscape of British film in the nineteen-thirties and is one of the films that Alexander Korda is best known for. He helped energise the film industy in this country and we could certainly do with another one like him now. (Probably the reason for the derisive comments the film received from America was that Hollywood was jealous that a rival industry had beaten them to it when its sci-fi efforts were limited to horror films and "Flash Gordon").

Some people carp that it's director, William Cameron Menzies, and visual effects designer, Ned Mann, were American, but take a look at the production personel and you'll see that only are most of them British, but several on the verge of greater careers. Robert Krasker who photographed "Brief Encounter" and "The Third Man" was a camera operator. Charles Crichton who directed "The Lavender Hill Mob", "A Fish Called Wanda" and several episodes of "Space: 1999" was an editor. Assistant art director John Bryan later worked with David Lean, while the young Wally Veevers who later worked on "Night of the Demon," "The Guns of Navarone," and "2001: A Space Odyssey was a visual effects assistant. Georges Perinal, who also worked with Powell and Pressburger as well as Korda, was director of photography. Vincent Korda, Alexander's brother, designed the production along with Menzies and H G Wells' son Frank, while Sir Arthur Bliss's score paved the way for such film scores by William Walton, Ralph Vaughan Williams, William Alwyn and Malcolm Arnold: the "March" from Bliss's score being one of his best known pieces of music. And don't forget that Menzies later went went on to be production designer on "Gone With the Wind" and Hitchcock's "Foreign Correpondent".

The same can also be said for it's cast of Raymond Massey, Ralph Richardson (his Boss once seen is never forgotten and Richardson said he based him on Mussolini) Cedric Hardwicke, Margaretta Scott (who is best known as Mrs Pumpfrey in "All Creatures Great and Small". She had a dual role as the Boss' mistress Roxana and Cabal's wife Rowena in the 2036 section. It was cut for timing reasons and I'd be interested to see if it's been restored.) Edward Chapman (famous or infamous, depending on your point of view, for his appearances with Norman Wisdom), actor/manager John Clements, Ann Todd (best known for "The Seventh Veil" with James Mason") Derrick De Marney, (His credits include Hitchcock's "Young and Innocent" and the wartime romance "Dangerous Moonlight") and in a small role, George Sanders.

There are the usual arguments thown at the film. Yes some of it's acting is stillted - a hangover from the theatre tradition of the time. Yes some of the effects work is shaky but it was using the technology of the time. But I applaud Korda and his crew for undertaking a difficult and risky production for it's time and for not pulling their punches. It serves as an illustration for Wells' thinking at the time and also of themes that run through his work. Also, there are many memorable scenes - which I won't reveal as I got into trouble over "Sunshine" - but a few include a dissolve from a small boy marching with his toy drum to endless rows of soldiers marching off to war; aircraft emerging from clouds and the huge, futuristic machines of the future.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:38 am 
Tripod King

I second that. TTC is a magnificent and important film, yet bafflingly it is nowhere near as well known as, for example, Lang's 'Metropolis' a decade before (which, incidentally, Wells hated and the iconography of which he attempted to get as far away from as possible in TTC).

Yes, it looks naive now, but it was a sincere attempt at serious speculative fiction. Morrisvan's comment about 'Flash Gordon' is very relevant; the contrast between the two is vast.

Visually, TTC is a treat. Vincent Korda appears to have ransacked, magpie-like, a range of contemporary fashions, including Bel Geddes and all manner of modernists.

Musically, TTC is a landmark. The first film in which a serious composer produced an original score. The first movie soundtrack (apart from songs from musicals) released on record (I have a set of the original 78s of the soundtrack, issued in 1936). The definitive modern recording is this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bliss-Film-Music-Sir-Arthur/dp/B00005A8EF/ref=sr_1_1/202-7358846-5299863?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177332283&sr=1-1

It represents the most complete version there is. There are tracks never before released, and the final track is a greatly extended version incorporating other musical elements from the soundtrack to create a superb climax to the suite.

If you want to find out more about the background to, and context of, TTC, I cannot recommend this little book highly enough:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Things-Come-BFI-Film-Classics/dp/0851704808

As for any extra scenes on the new DVD, check out what Horsell Common has to say here:
http://forums.eveofthewar.com/showthread.php?t=7999

THINGS TO COME - SPECIAL EDITION

A future history as scripted by the visionary writer H.G. Wells, Things
To Come set a high benchmark for science fiction with its fantastic
design, gigantic sets and spectacular special effects. Acknowledged as a
landmark within the genre, Oscar-winning William Cameron Menzies
(Invaders from Mars) creates an astounding vision of post-war desolation
and utopian futurism.

Starring Oscar-nominated Raymond Massey (A Matter of Life and Death) as
John Cabal and his descendants and the award-winning Ralph Richardson
(The Four Feathers) as The Boss, Things To Come showcases a gorgeous,
and instantly recognisable, score by Arthur Bliss. A world first, this
version of Things To Come has been painstakingly restored in High
Definition from the remaining film elements and represents the most
complete version known to exist.

SPECIAL FEATURES

[] Brand new digital restoration of the longest existing version
[] Virtual Extended Edition – a viewing option allowing for the
inclusion of text and images from long-missing and unfilmed scenes to
present a tantalising ‘what if?’
[] Brand-new audio commentary with Things to Come expert Nick Cooper
[] On Reflection: Brian Aldiss on H.G. Wells – 25 minute documentary
from 1971
[] Ralph Richardson interview by Russell Harty in 1975
[] Extensive booklet written by Nick Cooper
[] The Wandering Sickness – an original 78rpm recording
[] Comprehensive image gallery, including many rare stills
[] Merchandise image gallery
[] US re-release trailer

Blimy! Well, mine's on pre-order now!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:17 pm 
Martian War Lord

:shock: OK! OK! I'll get it :a037:
Thanks for all the info, I like the way you say:
morrisvan wrote:
And don't forget that Menzies later went went on to be production designer on "Gone With the Wind" and Hitchcock's "Foreign Correspondent".

I've never heard of these people, out of the 20 or so people you mentioned I think I recognised about 2, I am obviously not a film-buff. :lol: I'm into books more than films. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:04 pm 

[quote="McTodd"]I second that. TTC is a magnificent and important film, yet bafflingly it is nowhere near as well known as, for example, Lang's 'Metropolis' a decade before (which, incidentally, Wells hated and the iconography of which he attempted to get as far away from as possible in TTC).

The sad fact is that the British Film Industry has often been beliitled at home and abroad (Francois Truffaut - Claude Lacombe in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" being one such critic and who watches his films now!). The media only take an interest either when a film wins awards, shovels money into the box office or gets excitable over a glitzy film premire. Happily a more serious study is being made of Britain's film industry now with people at last starting to realise that we have produced films, film-makers and actors that rival and at times, surpass those of America, France and other countries. Martin Scorsese has often spoken of his admiration for Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, and recently praised the restoration of the 1929 British silent "Piccadilly." I also recommend Matthew Sweet's very comprehensive "Shepperton Babylon" which is a combined personal study and oral history of the British film industry.

Another reason as to why "Things to Come" has never been properly recognised is the inbred snobbery towards fantasy in this country, and perhaps a disbelief that a film such as this was made when Britain's film industry is supposed to be restricted and unimaginative. It also goes against some film writers set theories that science-fiction was not accepted until the nineteen fifties and yet here was a large-scale, hard sci-fi film made fifteen years earlier in a country gripped by the Depression and political and social turmoil.

Thanks for the comprehensive listing of the special features. I think this is shaping up to be one of the finest DVD releases this year. Two weeks to go.

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 19 posts ]