All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:13 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 18 2005, 11:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 18 2005, 11:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yes agreed, Spielberg and his movies and Lucas for that mater saved the movie industry when it was in a bit of a decline. they got bums on seats again.[/quote]<br /><br />When Spielberg, Lucas, John Landis, Brian De Palma and the rest of the so-called 'Movie Brats' started making an impact in the early-to-mid Seventies, two schools of thought emerged: one was that these newcomers - the first generation of film-makers who had grown up watching films - would save Hollywood. The other school of thought said that they would destroy it. I belong to the latter camp.<br /><br />Before Star Wars the major studios concentrated on well plotted, character-led movies about serious issues, while independent producers like Roger Corman filled the drive-ins and flea-pits with action thrillers, monster movies, sci-fi and horror flicks.<br /><br />Post-Star Wars and it's huge success, everything has changed. The major studios have gradually become content to churn out increasingly dumbed-down movies where visual spectacle, special effects, action and explosions are considered more important than plot, story and characterization. Meanwhile, it's the small independent movies playing at Sundance that deal with today's important issues.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:31 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Fenris+Feb 22 2005, 06:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fenris @ Feb 22 2005, 06:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When Spielberg, Lucas, John Landis, Brian De Palma  and the rest of the so-called 'Movie Brats' started making an impact in the early-to-mid Seventies, two schools of thought emerged: one was that these newcomers - the first generation of film-makers who had grown up watching films - would save Hollywood. The other school of thought said that they would destroy it. I belong to the latter camp.<br /><br />-->On the opposite of this fence, without  Spielberg, Lucas, and Landis&De Palma ,<br />I think things would have looked a lot darker for the movie industrie today<br /><br />Before Star Wars the major studios concentrated on well plotted, character-led movies about serious issues, while independent producers like Roger Corman filled the drive-ins and flea-pits with action thrillers, monster movies, sci-fi and horror flicks.<br /><br />-->That's an opinion. But people weren't going to the theatres anymore.<br />So something must have been wrong with them.<br /><br />Post-Star Wars and it's huge success, everything has changed. The major studios have gradually become content to churn out increasingly dumbed-down movies where visual spectacle, special effects, action and explosions are considered more important than plot, story and characterization. [right][snapback]1244[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />-->It are the movies I like and love to see B)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:23 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Fenris+Feb 22 2005, 06:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fenris @ Feb 22 2005, 06:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When Spielberg, Lucas, John Landis, Brian De Palma and the rest of the so-called 'Movie Brats' started making an impact in the early-to-mid Seventies, two schools of thought emerged: one was that these newcomers - the first generation of film-makers who had grown up watching films - would save Hollywood. The other school of thought said that they would destroy it. I belong to the latter camp.<br /><br />Before Star Wars the major studios concentrated on well plotted, character-led movies about serious issues, while independent producers like Roger Corman filled the drive-ins and flea-pits with action thrillers, monster movies, sci-fi and horror flicks.<br /><br />Post-Star Wars and it's huge success, everything has changed. The major studios have gradually become content to churn out increasingly dumbed-down movies where visual spectacle, special effects, action and explosions are considered more important than plot, story and characterization. Meanwhile, it's the small independent movies playing at Sundance that deal with today's important issues.<br />[right][snapback]1244[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />I can't argue with your theory,but the fact was in the mid seventies three of our local theatres closed and a fourth was about too , when Star Wars, Jaws, and then Alien. came along and saved its ass. shortly after one of the closed theatres reopened to satisfy the new demand.<br />you can't please all of the people all of the time, so just work on the majority. :mellow: <br />You have to remember these people are running a business, it's not a club :) if they put on films few people want to see, they're soon out of work. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:25 am 

I think star wars was a very well plotted film, its a great story told in a great way .

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

I thought it was a nuclear weapons defence system Reagan was tinkering with.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:44 pm 
Tripod King

the Star Wars saga are good movies with a good plot to them, however people seeking to emulate their success have produced some diabolical films, but that is neither the fault of the Star Wars movies nor George Lucas. He didnt wake up one day and say "today i will eliminate plot as a major part of selling a movie bwahahahahahaha"<br />

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:45 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 23 2005, 03:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 23 2005, 03:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the Star Wars saga are good movies with a good plot to them, however people seeking to emulate their success have produced some diabolical films,  but that is neither the fault of the Star Wars movies nor George Lucas.  He didnt wake up one day and say "today i will eliminate plot as a major part of selling a movie bwahahahahahaha"[/quote]<br /><br />No comment.<br /><br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:42 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Feb 23 2005, 08:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Feb 23 2005, 08:25 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think star wars was a very well plotted film, its a great story told in a great way .<br />[right][snapback]1270[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Totaly agree with you gavv8 I was not bashing Star Wars, I have all the films on video or DVD. what I was saying is I think that type of film saved the film industry :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:26 pm 

I'm hoping that wowt might spark a bit of a scifi revival , and hopefully something different to the star wars genre.<br />There are some seriously good sci fi books out there just crying out to be made in to movies (eon, rama,etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:33 pm 
Martian War Lord

Clarke's 'Rendezvous with rama'?<br />Great Book,even now 30 years on, but not enough action for a film, me thinks :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:53 pm 

Actually, Morgan Freeman's been trying to get that one made for ages. Unfortunately, the failure of Solaris a the box office probably doesn't bode well for adult science fiction films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:33 pm 

I know, its a shame but hey, put stallone in it with some big guns and a flag and maybe..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:02 pm 
Martian War Lord

It just shows there will always be a place for a good book :alien32: <br />Something the film industry can't do better :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:44 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Thunder Child+Feb 25 2005, 02:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thunder Child @ Feb 25 2005, 02:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Unfortunately, the failure of Solaris a the box office probably doesn't bode well for adult science fiction films.[/quote]<br /><br />Daft as it may sound, I don't think that Solaris was ever expected to do well at the box office. <br /><br />It was very much a personal project for George Clooney. The studio were desperate to make a sequel to Ocean's Eleven, and Clooney only agreed to come on board provided they first stumped up the cash to make Solaris. <br /><br />Such negotiation is fairly common in Hollywood, and is often the only way for actors or directors to make non-commercial films, and/or play challenging roles.<br /><br />For example, in the late Eighties Clint Eastwood directed & starred in the box office-friendly cop/action movie The Rookie on the condition that the studio would finance his jazz biopic Bird. <br /><br />

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3