All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Acid Man
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

Ok thought I'd post my old comic I drew back in 1988. It's called Acid Man. And was mostly done under the influence of LSD.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:55 pm 
Martian War Lord

:shock: \:D/ =D> =D> That's brilliant Loz. Why have you been sitting on this, you should have posted it ages ago.
You keep surprising me, I know you can write and now I know you can draw and not just stick figures but posed and anatomically correct action figures.
I am well impressed =D> =D>
How long did this take you? or can't you remember? :a028:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:26 pm 
Martian War Lord

Thanks Lonesome.
It took a few days I think. My problem is that I have to do it all quick. I just keep at it and as a result the work suffers. I'm talking about the art side. I could do better if I was more patient. If I made mistakes, I'd just try and work round it or gloss over it rather than delay and start again. But I enjoyed myself and that was the point. I'd want to show it to my friends real quick and motor on like a madman. I will have probably completed three pages a day. and coloured each page before moving on to the next pages pencils. I can see Yellow Submarine influences in there. One of my favourie films.
The main reason I didn't post it before is that I didn't have a scanner until recently and the other is that you are a far superior visual artist than me and you cast a rather big shadow.
But I'm over the moon that you like it. I did it half a life time ago now.
As you probably noticed I was an even worse speller back then. He hee.
It was all done in Isograph pen ink and felt tips, with Piper at the Gates of Dawn on in the background probably or maybe The Madcap Laughs.

Post subject: Jooce
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:29 pm 
Martian War Lord

Here's another. a panel from my Jooce comic. The rest is to big to scan.
And a cover picture I supose

Post subject: Re: Jooce
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:06 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:

:a009: That's a shame. If you had a program like Paint Shop Pro you could scan your large paper in two parts and join them together, I once did this with an A1 poster, scanned as eight separate pictures and merged together, but it can take a long time :a091:

I used to get a comic/magazine back in the 80s & 90s called 'HEAVY METAL' (nothing to do with music) it was full of work by both amateur and professional artists, your work would easily have qualified (after a spell checker :lol: )

I also listen to music whilst painting, I choose the music to suit the style of picture, it can make a big difference.

Is Jooce the name of the vampire character?

Post subject: Re: Jooce
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:52 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Loz wrote:

:a009: That's a shame. If you had a program like Paint Shop Pro you could scan your large paper in two parts and join them together, I once did this with an A1 poster, scanned as eight separate pictures and merged together, but it can take a long time :a091:

I used to get a comic/magazine back in the 80s & 90s called 'HEAVY METAL' (nothing to do with music) it was full of work by both amateur and professional artists, your work would easily have qualified (after a spell checker :lol: )

I also listen to music whilst painting, I choose the music to suit the style of picture, it can make a big difference.

Is Jooce the name of the vampire character?

Yeah, I need that programme.
I know that Heavey Metal Mag. It's still going and there have been animated versions.

Jooce is the name of the comic as al the main characters need juice of some sort. The vamp needs blood, others need electricity etc. and Victoria City where it is set is always running out of power sorces.
But the Genetic Vampire is called Mr Victory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:53 pm 
Martian War Lord

Looking at your comic again, I see what you mean about the yellow submarine influence, but it also reminded me of a song by 'Genesis' called 'One for the Vine' from their 'Wind & Wuthering' album. in the song A great leader has led his army through many battle for many years, his soldiers respect him and treat him as a God, except one man who has lost his faith in him and fleas back up the mountainside, stumbles and falls and lands in another world. He is naturally terrified by this but not as terrified as the people who see him appear, who naturally treat him as a god and ask him to lead them to victory over their oppressors, after a few drinks he agrees. He leads them for many years, his soldiers respect him and treat him as a God, except one man who has lost his faith in him and fleas back up the mountainside and the great leader sees this man stumble and fall and vanish into thin air, and so time repeats itself like a wheel turns.
I'll have to have a go at illustrating that some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:03 pm 
Martian War Lord

You should defo illustrate that, sounds great. Reminds me of the Thomas Covenant story a bit. He's hit by a car and wakes up in a Lord of the Rings type world. you are bound to of read it. And he disbelieves it but the people there know that he is to be their saviour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:49 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
You should defo illustrate that, sounds great. Reminds me of the Thomas Covenant story a bit. He's hit by a car and wakes up in a Lord of the Rings type world. you are bound to of read it. And he disbelieves it but the people there know that he is to be their saviour.

Stephen R. Donaldson, No I've not read him though my brother has and says he's very good, I remember Covenant has a white wedding ring which has special powers in the fantasy world. I'll have to get my brother to dig out his old Thomas Covenant book and have a reading session.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:54 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Loz wrote:

Stephen R. Donaldson, No I've not read him though my brother has and says he's very good, I remember Covenant has a white wedding ring which has special powers in the fantasy world. I'll have to get my brother to dig out his old Thomas Covenant book and have a reading session.

They are very good. He is a lepper in our world but not in theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:47 pm 
Martian War Lord

Found another one from a bit later on. Had to redoe the lettering in photoshop as they had faded for some reason. This was going to be epic, which is why I never got past page two. Oh, well, here it is, Earth Man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:08 pm 
Martian War Lord

:a103: These are great 'Loz' =D> , I like the way you work outside the frame with your splashes and explosions, I'm no good at that [-( it's probably because I was always told to stay inside the lines and now I can't do anything but :lol:
Where was the story going from this point? can you remember?

Do you have any more [-o< from any other stories?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:45 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
:a103: These are great 'Loz' =D> , I like the way you work outside the frame with your splashes and explosions, I'm no good at that [-( it's probably because I was always told to stay inside the lines and now I can't do anything but :lol:
Where was the story going from this point? can you remember?

Do you have any more [-o< from any other stories?

The story was going to be about all these different ages before man. When chaos ruled the Earth and lesser races struggled against it. The Earth Man was going to be the narator but also a helper of the good tribes. But ultimately his help would lead to the destruction of the past and make way for our future.

As for other comics I do have some. I have a load of Jooce pages but they are A1 in size but I'm thinking of getting them put on disk at a printers and posting them. You'll have to wait a bit though.

Thanks for the kind words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:45 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
I'm thinking of getting them put on disk at a printers and posting them. You'll have to wait a bit though..
I hope you do, I shall watch this space with eager anticipation :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:29 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Loz wrote:
I'm thinking of getting them put on disk at a printers and posting them. You'll have to wait a bit though..
I hope you do, I shall watch this space with eager anticipation :mrgreen:

Right, that's the kick up the arse I need. :a028:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:54 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:

:wink: Good-on-ye =D>
Apart from a few pencil roughs, my only serious attempt at a comic book was illustrating an old Victorian horror story called 'The Voice In The Night' by William Hope Hodgson, back in the late 1980s. The story is about a couple of Fishermen becalmed in the middle of the ocean when a voice calls to them from out of the fog and tells them of a shipwreck and of an island that is not charted on any map.
I did four pages of ink drawings and then realised that although the story was a good one, it wouldn't make an interesting comic, so that's all I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:46 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Loz wrote:

:wink: Good-on-ye =D>
Apart from a few pencil roughs, my only serious attempt at a comic book was illustrating an old Victorian horror story called 'The Voice In The Night' by William Hope Hodgson, back in the late 1980s. The story is about a couple of Fishermen becalmed in the middle of the ocean when a voice calls to them from out of the fog and tells them of a shipwreck and of an island that is not charted on any map.
I did four pages of ink drawings and then realised that although the story was a good one, it wouldn't make an interesting comic, so that's all I did.

Can we see those four pages?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:20 am 
Martian War Lord

Sure.
They are just Black & White and I was going to add speech bubbles later, typed and cut out of a separate piece of paper.

Page 1.
shows one of the fishermen on watch in the fog when he hears a voice in the fog, at first he thinks he is imagining it but then he sees a dim shape in a rowing boat, the figure refuses to come any closer so the fisherman reaches for a lamp.

Page 2.
shows the fisherman stamping to wake his companion and then shining the light on the figure in the boat, at which the figure becomes frightened and rows off. the companion thinks he must have fallen asleep and dreamt it. but then the call comes again and the figure will only approach if they promise not to use the light, he then tells them he and his lady companion are starving on the island.

Page 3.
They agree to give him food but he refuses to approach their craft so they put provision in a box and float it out to him.

Page 4.
He rows off with it, they don't expect to see him again, but a while later he returns to thank them and tell his strange tale and warn them off from approaching the island.

And that's as far as I got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:41 am 
Martian War Lord

=D> The layouts are fantastic and the wet feel is absolte. The rain effects and the strength of wind etc. very good. And adding the speach later is the correct way to do it of course. Usually someone else does that in comics.
You would have been a great comic artist. The black and white works well in this theme.
I was left wanting more!!! :-({|=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:48 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
=D> The layouts are fantastic and the wet feel is absolute. The rain effects and the strength of wind etc. very good. And adding the speech later is the correct way to do it of course. Usually someone else does that in comics.
You would have been a great comic artist. The black and white works well in this theme.

Thanks for that Loz :D
I'm a very slow worker, those would have taken me a couple of week, I would see work in comics like '2000 AD', Ten pages of dynamic action, all done in one week and I would loose heart and tell myself to stop wasting my time.
But it wasn't a complete waste of time, they went into my portfolio and earned me a commission for a picture of the TITANIC done in the same style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:32 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Loz wrote:
=D> The layouts are fantastic and the wet feel is absolute. The rain effects and the strength of wind etc. very good. And adding the speech later is the correct way to do it of course. Usually someone else does that in comics.

Thanks for that Loz :D
I'm a very slow worker, those would have taken me a couple of week, I would see work in comics like '2000 AD', Ten pages of dynamic action, all done in one week and I would loose heart and tell myself to stop wasting my time.
But it wasn't a complete waste of time, they went into my portfolio and earned me a commission for a picture of the TITANIC done in the same style.

Just because you saw ten page strips every week doesn't mean the artist did ten pages a week. They would work way ahead. Brain Bolland arguably the best 2000ad artist ever and one of DC's finest, was notoriously slow. He just does covers now. In fact all of DC's top artists, Neil Adams(70's) Jim Lee (current) are almost always late, and begin well in advance of publication to meet deadlines, they still don't meet.
Civil war, Marvels current big event story, was there big summer event, and it is still not finished. The reason being the art is bloody good. The artist is way behind Schedule. But he is forgiven by the fans because he is so good.
52 DC's and Americas first ever weekly comic, which I am collecting now, is done by a multitude of artists to keep it on time and it has never missed a date due to this.
You could have done it. Still can. If you still have the desire and patience, you should. But you'd have to buy some comics to catch up with the modern way.
Lets see the Titanic picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:33 pm 
Martian War Lord

I had started the work on this picture when the director of the company popped down to see the work, I had done a light pencil drawing and was busy inking it in, I had completed the bridge section when he saw it and he asked if he could have the picture just as it was, unfinished, he said it would be perfect for the back of a selection of Cunard postcards. I told him to let me tidy it up a bit and it would be ready tomorrow. After he left I rushed round to my local Photocopy shop and asked if they could turn the contrast up so the faint pencil lines disappeared and left only the black ink? They could and did. I then continued and finished the original picture and he bought both the picture and the photocopy of the half finished picture. :wink: Tricks of the trade [-o<
The completed image was used on carrier bags and printed on canvas bags and rucksacks, they were sold aboard Cunard liners :-k you wouldn't think people would want to be reminded about the TITANIC whilst on a cruise would you? :help:

And just so they don't sue me, Postcards and printed bags can be obtained from; MARINE ART POSTERS. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:55 pm 
Martian War Lord

Excellent work. I can't believe you're not a full time artist. Life is cruel. :-({|=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:21 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
Excellent work. I can't believe you're not a full time artist. Life is cruel. :-({|=

Well, I always have it to fall back on if I ever lose my job as a Dental Technician. :alien:
And thanks for the nice comments :oops:

You should continue with 'Jooce' or 'Earth Man' especially 'Earth Man' I was left wanting more, it reminded me of an old, old 2000AD story about a galactic caretaker, I don't remember a lot about the plot except this giant creature moved around the galaxy tidying things up and changing the light bulbs when they went supernova, your creator reminded me of him although they looked totally different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:15 pm 
Martian War Lord

a bit of Jooce. This was an early attempt. It was a bit smaller so I could post. It got a bit better.

And some of my old art from 1998

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
 >> Next