Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Doctor Who: The Runaway Bride
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:32 pm 

Right, did anyone see the Doctor Who special "The Runaway Bride". What did you think of it?
Here are my views.

It was more of a feature film than a straight-forward TV drama (I don't mean "Doctor Who" just shows like "Eastenders" and "Emmerdale" that rely on limited settings and talking heads). I know Russell T. Davies gets criticism for his scripts (why I don't know. Look at "Tooth and Claw" for instance) but what I've noticed about his work is that it suddenly take's unexpected directions. Here it was Lance's betrayal of Donna and the Doctor. Up to now he'd seemed to be the bewildered fiancee so this gave a nasty edge to the character. There was also some black humour: Lance saying that he works in "Human Resources," and the Empress referring to Donna's dead boss as "My Christmas Dinner." Sarah Parrish as the Empress proves that even though smothered under proshetics, dentures, contact lenses and a huge spider-prop you can give a performance that has wit, menace and charisma.

I've never really watched Catherine Tate's show, so I was seeing her for the first time. I thought she progessed well from a mouthy, selfish woman to helpmate and even acting as the Doctor's conscience. She is appalled when the Doctor destroys the Empress' children and at the end urges him to find someone, "Because they can stop you," she explains. This, and an earlier scene where she and the Doctor discuss their past lives sitting on the ledge of a high-rise building, and her awe at watching the creation of the Earth (which includes a Racnoss ship containing the Empress' children being enclosed beneath it's surface, thus being the plot device round which the story revolves) added softer levels to her character.

I felt David Tennant gave his best performance so far, of the Doctor. The energy and his ability to think on his feet are still there but were tempered by a more sombre, melancholy air as The Doctor tries to come terms with the loss of Rose. Two scenes illustrate this. The first when Donna, holds up Rose's jacket; demanding to know if he abducted Rose too. The Doctor snatches it from her and walks off, and Donna realises she's hit a raw nerve. Later, after returning Donna to her reception (which the guests have decided to hold anyway as it had already been paid for) the Doctor standing alone at the bar sees a girl with long blond hair which triggers off painful memories of his lost soul mate. You could say that he throws himself into the mystery to avoiding thinking of his loss. At the climax when he unleases flood waters into the Empress' lair to thwart her plan, the Doctor stands unmoved while the Empress screams in agony. Durng this scene the Doctor names the Time Lord planet of Gallifrey; the first time that it's been named in the new version, while he mentions "The Dark Times" on several occasions. A possible future storyline? Torchwood rears it's head again: the Doctor discovering that they bought the firm of
H C Clements where Donna and Lance work, and the Empress is lurking in the underground base which they built under the Thames Flood Barrier with a shaft drilled down to the Earth's centre where the Empress' children are waiting to emerge. A reminder that while Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper have turned the organisation round for more peaceful intentions, it's corrupt past still haunts the Doctor. The coda where the Doctor returns Donna home was also poignant with Donna, inviting the Doctor in for Christmas dinner, only for him to depart in the TARDIS on the grounds that he just wants to park it properly. Before this the Doctor tells her: "I don't need anyone."

Euros Lynn's direction was fast-moving with frantic zooms and tilted camera angles. As well as the exciting chase from which the Doctor rescues Donna from a taxi driven by one of the Robot Santas in the TARDIS, two other standouts were the first appearance of the Empress; filmed from below with only her twitching legs in view, and the Doctor turning grim-faced to see the Robot Santas advancing towards him, levelling their trombones and tubas. I also liked the shots of the Racnoss ship. At first glance it looks like a star, but a closer look reveals it to be more like a spiders web with cobwebbed strands, so when it finally appears above London it has aquired a menacing air.

Some people will probably complain that we didn't see the Empress' children swarm out of the shaft. To be fair a horde of scuttling racnoids would have have too much and would probably have people squiming in their seats. (Probably the team didn't want to clash with "Primeval"'s proposed storyline of giant aracnids invading the London Underground. There are already aracnids down there. They're called private investment!)
If I have a complaint then the Empress was disposed of too quickly. She is also such an interesting character and I'd like to see her return for a rematch.

The trailer for the new series looks intriguing with scenes of William Shakespeare at the Globe Theatre, witches and wizards, First World Soldiers or Spanish Civil War soldiers fighting monsters, a race of armoured, rhinonosaurus-like aliens, a Broadway musical, Mark Gatiss playing a rejunvatnated seventy-six year old, glimpses of Freema Aygeman as a lovely and friendly Martha Jones - and the return of the Daleks?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:22 pm 
Martian War Lord

I thought it was okay. It had some nice moments. But I'm a fan of the old Doctor who and this new stuff doesn't really do it for me. However it is for kids not 36 year olds and I think it is achieving what it is setting out to do and I'm very glad that kids today have their own version of Doctor Who. I see Sarah Jane and K9 have their own show now too. I remember the original.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:14 pm 
Martian War Lord

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything special considering it was a Christmas Special. I'm not a Catherine Tate fan I watched one of her shows and one was enough :mrgreen: I'm glad she's not the new Dr Who girl.

The special effects were good, although I think the Thames would have taken days to run dry not just five minutes I was expecting some joke about the spider down the plughole, but they didn't do it.

I was glad to see the DALEKS back in the new season.
What is it about the DALEKS? why are they so popular? they are certainly my favorite Dr Who invention. :-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:45 pm 

I'm the wrong side of forty, but I've enjoyed both the old and new series. Some people will say it's had it's stinkers: "The Long Game" and "Fear Her" are the obvious ones (I won't hear anything said against "New Earth" as I found the scenes where the Doctor visits the dying Face of Boe and later cures the zombies quite moving as my Mother was seriously ill in hospital at the time) but some stories, esspecially those from he series nadir in the eighties I would not want to watch again. I on't blame Colin Baker as he was saddled with a ridculous characterisation, costume and awful scripts, and several of Sylvester McCoy's stories were very good: "Rememberance of the Daleks", "Ghost Light," "The Curse of Fenric". I wince though at memories of "Warriors of the Deep," with it's pantomine style Myrka, cuddly Silurians and muddled storyline, "The Tin Dilemma" that wasted a good actor like Maurice Denham, "Timelash" and "Time and The Rani" that could be seen as parodies of "Doctor Who" if it were not for the fact that they were made by the production team. The whole of "The Trial of a Time Lord" season which I felt was a tactless comment on the state of the show and "Battlefield" which was an interesting idea let down by it's producion. Even it's writer, Ben Aaronovitch couldn't bring himself to watch the finshed programme.
Even good stories like "Resurection of the Daleks," "Revelation of the Daleks," and "The Caves of Androznai" I find disturbing years later because of their mobidity, brutality and high body count - and those stories went out in an early evening slot. A misguided attempt then to make the show "realsitic" which back-fired.
Another accusation that could be aimed at the original series was that it became to set in it's ways and failed to develop (I would say this happened from the late seventies onwards) that's why I'm pleased that this new version refers to such things as dysfunctional families, teenage pregnacies, political and technological paranoia, reality TV that balance the fantasy. I also like the fact that the show highlights the sometimes devastating effect the Doctor has on people such as Charles Dickens, Harriet Jones, Queen Victoria, Sarah Jane Smith, Madame du Pompador, Elton Pope, Donna even Mickey and the Tylers. All are aware of how dangerous the Doctor's world is and how easily it spills over into their lives, and the Doctor is aware of the emotional cost to him as in the new version he's even lost his own people. It was only occasionally that the original series referred to this and at times the departure/loss of a companion was just brushed aside.
Yes I am a fan of the original series and the new series. What I also like is that it's moved away from cult status to be embraced by a wide range of peoplesuch as a liitle boy squealng with delight when he saw "The Invasion" DVD to two women in their twenties overheard discussing whether "Torchwood" was more frightening than "Doctor Who."
As for "The Sun's" claims from ear to the ground I heard David Tennant is
apprantely committed to a forth series although the BBC are waiting to see what the reaction to series three will be although it is one of their big hitters and "Bride" pulled in over nine million viewers (according to "Outpost Gallifrey". Also how you take seriously a paper which,
when I was working for the MOD, ran a story on Prince Charles visiting Catterick garrison in Yorkshire, and under a picture of him at a bowling alley they ran the headline: "Now Charles get's his bowls out". A lot of civilian and military personel at Catterick were upset and angry over this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:31 pm 
Martian War Lord

As a kid I was a big fan of the series but after Tom Baker left, the show just got silly, Peter Davison tried his best but I gave up watching, occasionally I would look-in to see if they were taking things seriously again, but the plots were getting more and more ridiculous, I turned on one time and found Sylvester McCoy confronted by an evil Bertie Bassett and I decided enough was enough.
I didn't like Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy as the Dr and their costumes were getting more and more ridiculous I think Paul McGann would have made a good Dr I've heard him in the radio versions of Doctor Who and it works well, why didn't the BBC continue to use him? does anybody know?
I am also the wrong side of forty but I'm enjoying the new series, both Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant made and make good Doctors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:04 pm 

The reasons why Peter Davison left was that his stories were continually beset by strike action, budget cuts and the poor quality of scripts although it's ironic that his last story: "The Caves of Androzani" was his best.
Going by interviews with Colin Baker and Slyvester McCoy it seems both men are angry by the belittlement and hostile treatment they received from both fans and the BBC although to their credit they both got on wih their lives and careers, and both have done very well with the more sympatheitic treatment (and good scripts) with Big Finish.
The Paul McGann film did very well in this country although it flopped in the States, and I think the BBC were hoping for support from them which is probably why they never followed it up. Whatever the film's failings it did get the ball rolling again and show that "Doctor Who" was still viable, which was finally realised nine years later. McGann has enjoyed doing the radio dramas and he is very good although I haven't heard all his stories. I'm certainly intrigued by the new BBC7 series starting tonight. Although I can't get the channel (just can't manage to tune in my old bakelite to the digital wavelenghts) I have ordered the CDs from Big Finish.
May I wish you and everyone else on the forum a Happy New Year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:44 pm 
Martian War Lord

Happy New Year to you to :D
If you have a Freeview box connected to your TV you can get BBC7 through that, but I'm afraid your old Bakelite model just won't do it not even if you put new valves in it :lol:
I heard one of the radio series last year or the year before called 'Shada' written by the late, great Douglas Adams, I believe he wrote it for TV just before the series was canceled and Big Finish Productions resurrected it many years later. Douglas Adams didn't abandon the story, he re-wrote it as the first book in his very popular 'Dirk Gently' series 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency', the stories are very similar with Gently replacing the role played by the Doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:59 pm 

Have just found out that if I access BBC 7's site and click on "Listen again" I can hear the new stories. I quite like Sheridan Smith's Lucie Miller. Very gobby!

What an impressive cast assembiled for the radio version of "Shada" and it was interesting that most of them had genre credits. Andrew Sachs appeared in an episode of the original version of "Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)", and recently played Dr Watson opposite Clive Merrison's Sherlock Holmes. James Fox played Professor Summerlee in the 2001 version of "The Lost World", and apprantely was lined up to play Dan Dare in the late seventies which never happened. Susannah Harker appeared in Channel 4's "Ultraviolet" while Hannah Gordon played a Martian woman in a 1965 episode of "Out of the Unknown": "No Place Like Home," which was based on a story by John Wyndham. As a child actor Melvyn Hayes appeared in the original television production of "Quatermass II" in 1955, while Barnaby Edwards has been a Dalek operator in the new "Doctor Who" and is casting director on the BBC 7 stories.

I quite enjoyed "The Sarah Jane Adventures". Very fast-moving and with a storyline modelled on "Quatermass II" right down to the pat explanations, the official tour and the monster revealed at the climax. Also the Bane Mother may have been modelled on the illustrations of the Nestene Conciousness that appeared in the novelisations of "Spearhead from Space" and "Terror of the Autons." Elizabeth Sladen was given more dramatic meat to go on than "K9 and Company" and it was interesting the similarites between this show and "Rose" with Sarah telling Maria not to get involved just as Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor tries to send Rose away. Like Rose though, Maria's curiousity has been aroused. Yasmin Paige as Maria was very good as a young teen who's had to grow up very quickly after her parents divorce.

I also found the scenes of the pocessed people brandishing the "Bubbleshock" bottles quite eerie. Similar to George A. Romeo's zombies but without the gore. Did anyone spot the photos of the Brigadier and Harry Sullivan in Sarah's attic, and could the Doctor have given Sarah the sonic lipstick and the supercomputer: "Mr Smith". The computer's layout was similar to the console the Eighth Doctor used. What with this, the Christmas Special, the BBC7 series and the "Torchwood" finale (and if anyone has seen it on BBC3 don't tell me please) it seems to have a good Christmas for "Doctor Who."

Now maybe we can send a few bottles of "Bubbleshock" to "The Sun" and arrange for the Empress of Racnoss to call round.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:05 am 
Martian War Lord

Not to mention BBC7s 'Blood of the DALEKS' on New Years Eve. or did you mention that? :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:04 pm 
Martian War Lord

I stopped watching after Tom baker left too. I watched Earthshock because it had the Cybermen in for the first time in years and they looked good and Adric died but after that I just couldn't bear to watch it. I'd fallen in love with Tom Baker and Peter Davidson was just wrong, wrong, wrong for me. I couldn't stand him and still can't and the Colin and Sylvester were even worse. I always wanted Robert Powell to follow Tom Baker, because of those piercing eyes he had back then.

Now remember guys my radio play is on BBC Radio 3 tomorrow at 10pm. It is an urban fairytale, so it is possibly up your street. The cast are wonderful and the music and sound effects are top notch, I'll leave it up to you to judge the script but I am very proud of it.

I don't know why the daleks are so popular but I posses 13 different ones. Two big remote control ones, one based on the old silver and blue Hartnel ones and the other the gold and brass looking one from nowadays. A smaller remote one again in silver and blue from the first movie, four rolamitic ones from Evil of the Daleks, 3 dinky toy ones from The Dalek's Master Plan, which has the cool black one with white semi-spheres.

I've a black and gold one a bit smaller than the movie one, that no longer talks for some odd reason. One of the grey and black ones from Baker era that opens up to reveal a Dalek base, With a tiny Tardis, with a tiny 4th doctor inside, a tiny rollykins dalek, which you can put in a trap and fire him out, a dalek gun, and the Davros from Remembrance of the Daleks, where he is just a head in what appears at first to be some sort of Emperor Dalek. On top of that I have a twelve inch, (I think he's that big, might be 10) 4th Doctor complete with K9, bag of jelly babies and sonic screwdriver, an equal sized Cyberman from late 80's look and a remote controlled Davros that fits in with them in size. I have also bought original art of two Daleks with a Dalek baby in a Dalek looking pushchair, from a local Liverpool artist. I just love them and The episode Dalek was the only one of the new episodes I really enjoyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:17 am 
Martian War Lord

:shock: Robert Powell would have made a great Doctor, I never thought of him playing the role,

I have already set my DAB radio to record BBC radio 3 tomorrow at 10pm. :mrgreen: \:D/ best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:46 am 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
:shock: Robert Powell would have made a great Doctor, I never thought of him playing the role,

I have already set my DAB radio to record BBC radio 3 tomorrow at 10pm. :mrgreen: \:D/ best of luck.

He would wouldn't he. I could just see his face in the vortex at the begining looking all stern.

Thanks for the well wishes. Hope you lik it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:18 pm 
Martian War Lord

Just finished listening to 'Tin Man' Loz =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Very Very good Tears in my eyes, a great story and a great performance by Jodie Comer (Jessica) You must be so chuffed :D
I have recorded it, so if you ever want a copy let me know :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:11 am 
Martian War Lord

Hey thanks Peter. I have a lot of tears in my eyes too. A lot of the stuff is based on my life and the lives of those close to me. I am a father of twins, one of which never drew breath because of horrendous malpractice at the hospital. The speech of th father in the whale was exactly what happened to me.
Thank you so much for sparing the time to listen to it and writing about it here. I'm glad it moved you.
All the best mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:29 am 
Martian War Lord

I've got tears in my eyes again now. sorry to hear of your loss, it gives the story a lot more meaning now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:29 am 
Martian War Lord

I look at little Daisy everyday and because they were identical I can't help but think little Jayne should be there with her. And she really does come and play with the toys sometimes, although very rarely now.
The mother was based on my sister, I amalgamated different lives and stories. My sister was a heroin addict and died leaving a young son. A few weeks before she died she got my Dad to promise he'd look after Paul if she died. Without talking to his wife he agreed and they took him on but she made life hell for them both and after 18 months my Dad gave him up.
I always try and draw on what is real from my life or those close to me as much as I can. Anyway thanks again for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:30 pm 
Martian War Lord

Hell Loz you've had an eventfully life and not one full of joy by the sounds of it, my life is very boring in comparison, but that's basically because I don't do much, and if you don't do much, not much can go wrong. the biggest thing that happened to me was being hit by a lorry whilst cycling to work and spending a couple of days in hospital slipping in and out of consciousness, that was three years ago, I hope it stays boring too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:29 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Hell Loz you've had an eventfully life and not one full of joy by the sounds of it, my life is very boring in comparison, but that's basically because I don't do much, and if you don't do much, not much can go wrong. the biggest thing that happened to me was being hit by a lorry whilst cycling to work and spending a couple of days in hospital slipping in and out of consciousness, that was three years ago, I hope it stays boring too.

I remeber you talking about that lorry hitting you before. The Eve of the War Forum owes a lot to your survival, as does my War of the Worlds art collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:48 pm 

Hello Loz. Wishing you a Happy New Year and congratulations on "Tin Man". I was very impressed esspecially with Jodie Corner's performance and I have always liked Ian Puleston-Davies after seeing him in "Conviction." His performances always have an edginess to them. I particulary liked the scenes of Jessica in the laundrette and her encounter with the insane, old man.

You obviously believe in using real-life experiences as a basis, and also for helping exorcise any distressing or painful feelings. I've been through some hard times but not as severe as yours. I lost my father when I was twenty-four, and last year my mother was seriously ill and I thought I was going to lose her. She recovered but the stress left me ill and depressed. I think I would find it too difficult to write down my experiences, and I find painting and drawing much easier to express myself whether in cartoons or figurative drawing.

I'd be interested to hear if you've anything else published or broadcast. Thank you once again for an excellent and haunting play.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:23 pm 
Martian War Lord

Hi Morrisvan

Thanks for tuning in to Tin Man and saying wonderful things about it. I really appreciate the feedback. Sorry to hear about your Father, and thank God your Mother got better. I hope you are through the depression.
Jodie is an amazing talent. I auditioned her myself along with the producer. She had only ever acted once before, performing a speech at a festival, so she really is something special. She outshone everyone else at the auditions. I think she will be a big star one day. It would have been so different without her and she is on 13!!!
To answer your question about other work. 3 of my plays have been produced on stage, and one of them is published by Oberon Modern Plays. It is called Urban Legend and is for sale all over the place, I have found a link to it on Amazon and here is that link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Urban-Legend-Ob ... F8&s=books
My real name as you know doubt know through listening to the play is Laurence Wilson.
I have also written a docu drama called Drug Runners which was on Bravo Channel a few years ago. It was Bravo Channels first commissioned TV drama. They usually just bought already existing shows.
I am waiting to hear if my next radio play is will be produced, and will know on the 8th Jan. I also have a theatre commission with the Liverpool Everyman and am currently working on that. They have produced me before but that doesn't mean they will produce this.
Anyway thanks for the interest
It's funny because I've just realized that in the first draft of Tin Man. The Grandfather and Grandparents had a scene in which they first hear about Jessica's mother dieing and the Grandfather then reveals to his wife that she has promised to take Jessica on if anything happens to the mother. They were in a traffic jam at the time and before the mobile phone goes with the terrible news, they are arguing about a Dalek. I'll post it below.
Things really change from draft to draft and I soon got rid of this. Funny thing is I've tried to get a scene about Daleks and doctor Who in just about every play I've ever done but I always end up cutting it out. One day. Anyway here it is -

VERA What do yer thinks happened Burt?

BURT Bound to be a bloody crash in this storm.

VERA Yer think?

BURT Probably that silver what’s-yer-call-it that was up us arse a few minutes ago.

VERA He was going like a madman.

BURT And then some.

VERA We could be here a few hours then.

BURT Christ I hope not, Doctor Who’s on.

VERA I thought yer didn’t like this new one.

BURT I don’t. Can’t beat Tom Baker.

VERA Why d’yer watch it then?

BURT I like picking faults with it.

VERA Yer what?

BURT I’ve joined a forum on the th’internet.

VERA A what?

BURT A place on the th’internet where you can discuss things. I’m on a Doctor who one.

VERA And yer just tallk about Doctor Who?

BURT Well it’d be a bit bloody daft if we talked about Desperate bloody Housewives wouldn’t it?

VERA Suppose.

BURT I only go on it to wind them all up.

VERA How d’yer mean?

BURT I go and I rip it to bloody pieces. It riles the youngens up something rotten it does. (Laughs)

VERA What’s the point in that?

BURT Keeps me happy.

VERA I thought I kept yer happy.

BURT Yer will if yer let me by that Dalek.

VERA No chance.

BURT Come on we’ve got plenty of cash these days.

VERA Absolutely no chance, no.

BURT You’ve got yer Persian Cats.

VERA I am not having a full sized bloody Dalek stood in the hall Burt.

BURT It’ll be a talking point.

VERA Yer can say that again.

BURT Fer a little bit extra yer can get one that talks whenever yer walk past it.

VERA Oh well we’ll get two in that case. I can just see mother nipping to the kitchen for a glass of milk in the middle of the night and being confronted with an “Exterminate” in the hall and having a bloody seizure.

BURT Yer joking aren’t yer, she’s deaf as a jar of pickles.

VERA Well yer not having one. Yer seventy five not seventeen.

BURT You’ve got yer…

VERA …Persian Cats, I know. You’ve got yer DVD’s and all them silly books.

BURT Nothing silly about my books.

VERA All the shelves a bowed in the middle because you’ve stacked them up to high.

BURT That doesn’t make them silly.

VERA No it’s what’s written inside them what makes them silly.

BURT How would you know? It’s not as though yer’ve read any.

VERA I’ve glanced through a few that yer’ve left by the throne.

BURT Yer must have read those ones back to back the amount of time yer spend on it.

I'll stop it there beacuse it's no longer about the Doctor and it goes on for a bit.

So apt for this thread.

Take care

:P

Last edited by Loz on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

What's with the new central collum thing anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:45 am 

Hello again Loz. Just hope you hear some good news about your next play and thank you very much for the information on "Urban Legend". Will try and track it down.

I found the scene with Jessica's grandparents very funny, but I think if you'd kept it in it would have slowed the drama down and might have been out of place with it's bleakness. It reminded me of someone I knew at school who built a detailed, lifeize Dalek at his woodwork and metalwork classes using the plans from the 1973 Radio Times Doctor Who special. He later took it home where, to the best of knowledge, he probably still has it.

Over Christmas, the York Evening Press and BBC "Look North" profiled a twenty-four year old who's also built a lifesized and realistic Dalek. Ten years earlier he'd built a replica of "Jurassic Park" in his garden and set up a small museum in his shed.

Thanks once again and Good Luck.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:32 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
What's with the new central collum thing anyway?

I don't know Loz, it's been like this since late November / early December, I noticed it after I up-dated to the New Google, so whether it's that that's done it or whether it's something Lee's done I don't know :-k

I liked your little Dalek scene :D but as morrisvan said it doesn't really fit the mood of the rest of the play.
As a kid I used to make my own Daleks, only small ones about 5/6 in" high and I'd attach... I can't remember what they're called, they were steel ball bearings with a thick plastic collar around them, they came from a table-top hockey game and with four of these inside the Dalek moved very realistically, especially if you moved them with a magnet held under the table.
We had to make our own entertainment when we were kids and we did a pretty good job of it too. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:05 pm 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:
Over Christmas, the York Evening Press and BBC "Look North" profiled a twenty-four year old who's also built a lifesized and realistic Dalek. Ten years earlier he'd built a replica of "Jurassic Park" in his garden and set up a small museum in his shed.

I haven't actually built a 'Jurassic Park' but I have made some of the prehistoric specimens, made of papier mache HERE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:06 pm 
Martian War Lord

morrisvan wrote:

I found the scene with Jessica's grandparents very funny, but I think if you'd kept it in it would have slowed the drama down and might have been out of place with it's bleakness.

Yeah I totally agree that's why it didn't get past draft one. The version that went out was draft seven. Lots and lots of things changed and developed over the drafts. That's how I work. You certainly can't be precious if you want it to be good.
There was a lot more comedy in draft 1. I'm actually known for writing comedy and dark comedy so this was a real departure for me. I was always saying to the producer, does it need some funny bits and she was like, No!

I remember your dinosaurs Lonesome. Very good. And as for your serious FM's I'd would love as you know to posses one!
And your new spoof ones are looking pretty fab too.

morrisvan have you seen Lonesome's serious War of the Worlds art work? I don't mean the spoof but his older paintings. They are stunning.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next