View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 13 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:34 pm 
Martian War Lord

FROM : <a href='http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=30445' target='_blank'>http://www.scifi.com/</a><br /><br />Doug Chiang, the conceptual artist on Steven Spielberg's upcoming War of the Worlds movie, told SCI FI Wire that he relied heavily on the detailed descriptions in H.G. Wells' original book for the look and feel of the film's aliens and tripod war machines. "As much as we could, yeah," Chiang (Star Wars: Episode II) said in an interview at WonderCon in San Francisco last weekend. "I mean, we wanted to be faithful to it, because ... we think it's best to go to the source material versus other interpretations, as great as the other interpretations may have been. It's always nice to see where the inspiration came from. And then Steven, of course, takes it to a whole new level." <br /><br />In Wells' book, the aliens are Martians who are described as having two large, dark-colored eyes; a V-shaped mouth; a mass of tentacles; and "oily brown skin." The Martians' war machines are described as 100-foot-tall tripods with domed canopies and mechanical tentacles, one wielding a box that emits an invisible Heat Ray. (By contrast, In George Pal's 1953 film adaptation of War of the Worlds, the Martians were depicted as leathery red creatures with one huge, trifocal lens as an eye and three-fingered hands; their war machines were hovering boomerang-shaped saucers with glowing green wingtips and a cobra-like Heat Ray that emitted pulses of green light.) <br /><br />Chiang and production Rick Carter declined to give details about Spielberg's aliens, who are not from Mars. But, he added, "We're kind of trying to create fear, or an image of fear. And whatever that is to each individual person is always different, so there's always shadow images and stuff. So in some ways we're trying to create these creatures or these machines or whatever as sort of manifestations of what terrifies me or what terrifies Rick. And it may not terrify everybody else. But I think we're trying to capture that essence." <br /><br />Carter, for his part, alluded to Spielberg's last alien movie, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, in describing his and Chiang's approach. War's aliens "would be the opposite of the little fingers going and getting candy," he said. "It would be the opposite of touching a flower that's dying and making it be alive." War of the Worlds opens June 29. <br /><br /><br />

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:09 am 
Advanced Member

More good news! I WANT PICTURES! Or artwork, or something! Don't care if it will spoil part of the movie, I'm dying to know what they're going to look like!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:18 am 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-rodnumber6+Feb 24 2005, 12:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rodnumber6 @ Feb 24 2005, 12:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->More good news! I WANT PICTURES! Or artwork, or something! Don't care if it will spoil part of the movie, I'm dying to know what they're going to look like!<br />[right][snapback]1318[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />I can tell you what they look like "two large, dark-colored eyes; a V-shaped mouth; a mass of tentacles; and "oily brown skin." and thats just the war machines as for the Martians? I don't know. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:31 am 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 24 2005, 12:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 24 2005, 12:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I can tell you what they look like "two large, dark-colored eyes; a V-shaped mouth; a mass of tentacles; and "oily brown skin." and thats just the war machines as for the Martians? I don't know. :D<br />[right][snapback]1320[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> :P Alright wise guy, I'll rephrase my statement. <br /><br />I'm dying to see ILM bring Wells' aliens & tripods to life!<br /><br />Better? :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:10 am 

How cool is that news. Sounds like along with tripods and red weed this movie is shaping up to be a nice tip of the hat to Wells original work. See and some of you doubted Speilbergs ability to pull this off. I have a feeling he is going to strike a nice balance between the original material and modern story telling. Btw I would kind of miss that the aliens in this movie wouldn't have three eyes. The aliens whole thing about the number 3 was kind of cool but alas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:53 pm 
Tripod King

Speilberg needs to do a lot better than "tipping the hat", Independance Day tipped the hat which was perfectly acceptable because ID4 wasnt claiming to be WOTW. Tip of the hat indeed, its like Speilberg saying "oh by the way there was this kind of book thing we got a couple of ideas from"

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:24 pm 

Based on the poster, it looks like the aliens will be at least partly based on the Pal Martians. (The hands.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:30 pm 
Tripod King

ah, but i think they might move away from that now because the official movie poster that you see in all the cinemas now with the "Life Of Brian" writing on it doesnt have that image, so i think that might be eliminated.<br /><br />also this article Lee posted has another running down of the 53 film, publicity for this film seems very keen to do that and as ive said its not a good idea because this films superiority to the 53 film is not guarenteed

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:29 pm 

If the aliens and tripods are faithfull to the book it'll be the first thing that is.

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:37 pm 
Tripod King

the tripods almost certainly wont be, consider what we've seen of artists that have sought to reproduce the tripods as closely as possible to Wells' description including one of this forums own members. They would never do for a hollywood action film

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:04 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 24 2005, 07:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 24 2005, 07:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the tripods almost certainly wont be, consider what we've seen of artists that have sought to reproduce the tripods as closely as possible to Wells' description including one of this forums own members.  They would never do for a hollywood action film<br />[right][snapback]1382[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well the article said that they were going by Wells' descriptions, so I doubt he would say that if he knew they weren't. They've been pretty up front about where they are sticking to the book and where they aren't (at least with the few details they've provided). I think they can stick pretty close to Wells' machines and still have it look "cool" enough for Hollywood. I'm wiling to allow a bit of artistic license; there have been numerous very cool-looking interpretations of the tripods that have deviated from Wells' descriptions, including the "Jeff Wayne" tripods which I think everyone loves, and Roger & Martin Dean's versions, which looked very diferent than the book described but still looked great and pretty damn scary.<br /><br />Of course, as with most things in this version, we won't know for several more months yet, so nothing to to but wait & speculate...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:20 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 24 2005, 01:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 24 2005, 01:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->ah, but i think they might move away from that now because the official movie poster that you see in all the cinemas now with the "Life Of Brian" writing on it doesnt have that image, so i think that might be eliminated.<br /><br />[right][snapback]1354[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />"Life Of Brian" writing, I love it. :lol: :lol: :lol: <br />Do you reckon Python are in on it? there was that scene in "The Life Of Brian" with the two aliens, maybe they are Speilberg's Martians :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:00 pm 

It would be ironic if their Martians look closer to the book than Pendragon's. (Which deviates with multiple eyes, teeth and stuff.)

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 13 posts ]