View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 15 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Live on Stage DVD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:55 pm 
Martian War Lord

I've had the DVD for a few weeks noiw and watched it a few times. I'd like to share my thoughts with the ever dwindling folks that come here.
It is fantastic. The sound quality is amazing and you get a good feel of the actual gig. It's worth it just for an alternative sound to the origional album. Th edit includes most of the animation and nice close ups of Jeff doing his bit and all the band. I recomend it to any fan of the album. I saw the show and really enjoyed it musically. Some of the CGI and other live action bits I thought could have been a lot better and I stand by this. It just sounds so bloody good. And there are all sorts of subtle differences, such as Justin Hayward singing - The chances of anyrthing coming from Mars... again toward the end plus the slightly different sounds a live performance produces and then the big differences in aged voices of Hayward and Thompson and the very differtent voices of Alexis James and Russle Watson.
I still don't like the prologue. It suited the PC game but spoils the story a bit for me.
The Martians look amazing of course. Very Alien.
Go buy it now.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:07 pm 
Martian War Lord

My brother heard I was going to buy it and bagsed it as a Xmas prezzie for me so I'll have to wait a little longer. :a009:
But thanks for the review, it sounds great :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:48 am 

Went to the live show in Bournemouth as I parked up in the BIC centre i could here the rehearsal, I swear it brought a tear to my eye all my life I have waited for a live performance, it was stunning so when the dvd was announced I had to have it, I have now watched it several times and have to agree it draws you in the sound is excellent brings back great memories (i think the effects could have been better lasers dry ice etc )hoping to go next year, can wait for the CGI film which i hope is still on the cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:16 pm 
Martian War Lord

Just leant it to my Mum who brought the origional LP into the house way back then and she beamed with delight. "Does it still have Forever Autumn in it?" She asked for some bizarre reason. to which I replied. "Yes, and it's Jus tin hayward singing it, and he still sounds f*ck great!"
I'll let you know, what she thinks of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:13 pm 
Martian War Lord

[-X I hope she gave you slap around the head for swearing :a037:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:17 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
[-X I hope she gave you slap around the head for swearing :a037:

She taught me that word when I was four.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:01 pm 
Martian War Lord

I got the 'Two Disc Special Edition' today and I've just watched the first disc with the volume turned up, It's fantastic =D> =D> I enjoyed it all even the prologue (sorry Loz :lol: ). 'The Thunder Child' scene was brilliant as was 'The Red Weed' even the bonus features on the first disc were very good, especially: Bringing Back Burton and Making a Martian Fighting Machine, often bonus features on DVDs are too long and you end up getting bored and giving up, but these were just right.

I'll let you know what I think of the second Disc shortly. :D As soon as I've finished Making my 30ft Fighting Machine :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:25 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
I got the 'Two Disc Special Edition' today and I've just watched the first disc with the volume turned up, It's fantastic =D> =D> I enjoyed it all even the prologue (sorry Loz :lol: ). 'The Thunder Child' scene was brilliant as was 'The Red Weed' even the bonus features on the first disc were very good, especially: Bringing Back Burton and Making a Martian Fighting Machine, often bonus features on DVDs are too long and you end up getting bored and giving up, but these were just right.

I'll let you know what I think of the second Disc shortly. :D As soon as I've finished Making my 30ft Fighting Machine :-k

Glad you enjoyed it. I like the prologue in its own right. And it was great in the PC game when you controled the Martians, that's how it started but I 6think it spoils the impact of Burton's opening speach and the famous way in wich the album begins and the mystery of why the Martians attack.
Can't wait to see a photo of you stood next to your 30 ft fighting machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:35 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
Can't wait to see a photo of you stood next to your 30 ft fighting machine.

Yeah well don't hold your breath :lol:
I watched Disc 2 last night and it's good if you are a big Jeff Wayne musical version fan, luckily I am. however If you are a Russell Watson fan then -DO NOT WATCH THIS DISC- because you won't be a fan for long, He is one of the most egotistical, self-opinionated, conceited prats I have ever seen. He's one of those people who wears sunglasses all the time, even indoors, He claimed to have a migraine for about three days, he turned up late for every rehearsal except one which he turned up three hours early, they asked him to "please come back in three hours" so he went off in a huff and returned three and a half hours later, at one point he whispers to Tara Blaise (The Parson's wife) "I keep getting into trouble for being late, I do it on purpose, I like to see them panic" :a093: He wouldn't travel with the rest of the crew "Because I have to do radio interviews" he said, so did Jeff but it wasn't a problem for him. The only good thing about Watson was he sprained his ankle and had to perform in extreme pain GOOD! In my opinion they shouldn't have bothered with Watson, they should have given the part to the understudy Daniel Boys whose voice sounded more like Phil Lynott's performance than Watson's did. Everyone else seemed to work as a great team, Watson? not a team player [-( just a prat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:19 pm 
Martian War Lord

There is a bit of an explanation about his behavior. Just after they finished the tour, it was discovered that Russell had a brain tumor, which he quickly had removed. He was quite ill. All during the tour and lead up he was suffering the effects of this thing in his brain.
I've never liked him as he does come across arrogant. But in this case we should cut him some slack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
There is a bit of an explanation about his behavior. Just after they finished the tour, it was discovered that Russell had a brain tumor, which he quickly had removed. He was quite ill. All during the tour and lead up he was suffering the effects of this thing in his brain.
I've never liked him as he does come across arrogant. But in this case we should cut him some slack.
That would explain the migraines and his behaviour, so I'll take back what I said. but I still think the understudies voice was better suited for the part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:17 am 
Martian War Lord

I also have this DVD since last week, and I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT! :D

It's so frigging awesome! I was very impressed by the CGI and Special Effects, I loved the music, and I was stunned to see that 30ft tall Fighting Machine live on Stage!

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:27 am 

Like another I have to wait until a certain rotund gentleman descends down my chimney and leaves me a certain something under the tree. If it is the wrong certain something may the mince pies avenge me. :a019:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:50 pm 
Martian War Lord

:shock: You've not got it yet?! the fat guy brought me mine last Christmas (that's my brother by the way :lol: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:17 pm 
Martian War Lord

I really like the DVD overall. Even though the guy who played the role of the Parson can't match the feeling the late Phil Lynott could give.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 15 posts ]