Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 15 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Period vs. Modern: Discussion of future Wotw adaptations
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:56 am 

I am currently revising my original "dramatization" of Wotw but I have also been thinking deeply about the arguments for or against a period or modernized adaptation of the tale. What take on the subject? How could you achieve a fithful period adaptation or how would you properly fit the story for modern day audiences?

Post subject: Re: Period vs. Modern: Discussion of future Wotw adaptations
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:59 am 
Martian War Lord

Wells wrote:
I am currently revising my original "dramatization" of Wotw but I have also been thinking deeply about the arguments for or against a period or modernized adaptation of the tale. What take on the subject? How could you achieve a fithful period adaptation or how would you properly fit the story for modern day audiences?

What exactly is it you are doing. What do you mean by dramatization. are you writing a play?

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:07 pm 
Martian War Lord

I would really like to see a period dramatization but after Pendragons poor adaptation, I don't know whether it can work for a modern audience.
You would have to see how well other period dramas fared :-k the trouble is a person who would go to see a period drama like 'Jane Eyre' or 'Anna Karenina' probably isn't going to be a Sci/Fi fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:57 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
I would really like to see a period dramatization but after Pendragons poor adaptation, I don't know whether it can work for a modern audience.
You would have to see how well other period dramas fared :-k the trouble is a person who would go to see a period drama like 'Jane Eyre' or 'Anna Karenina' probably isn't going to be a Sci/Fi fan.

I disagree it can work. The main two reasons Speilburg didn't do it was (1) it would cost twice as much to do and two he doesn't like Victorian period movies. He also said that Victorain Sci Fi Movies hadn't done well. Which ones is he talking about? Time Machine? Really bad script and bad action. Origional did very well.
Can't think of any other modern Victorian Sci Fi.

If the script was good, the casting and effects and action fantastic then it would do well.

However I think it is too late now. Having said that we are going to get Jeff's Victorain version.

You can't use Pendragon's as an example of it being undoable either. He had didn't have twice the budget of the parramount one or even a tenth of it. And he didn't have a 10th of the talent of Speilburg, hell he didn't even have a tenth of the talent of Ed Wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:23 am 

To reply to your original post about my "dramatization". You need to read this:http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1185
I'm currently trying to revise it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:19 am 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
True there aren't many, you have to go back to the 50's & 60's to get films like 'Jules Verne's 20'000 leagues under the sea, journey to the centre of the Earth'. but who can forget the modern classic 'THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN' or 'Van Helsing' or should that be classed as Horror-Fantasy? :-k it's probably films like these last two and 'The Time Machine' Spielberg was referring to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:20 am 
Tripod King

WOTW in its original form is simply Victorian Britain's military vs Martian Fighting-Machines. There should be plenty of uniforms, guns, etc. in the stocks of the film industry from that period. Just look at all the military epics that took place in Victorian times: Khartoum, Zulu, Zulu Dawn, and not one, but four, count 'em, FOUR, versions of The Four Feathers, among others. And with all the nonmilitary Victorian flicks out, civilian clothing and vehicles should be even less of a problem.

If you're doing ANY version of WOTW, you might as well face up to the fact that it is going to look quaint and dated sooner or later. Look at the 1950s version: it was intended as a modernized version, but now its Cold War air looks just as outdated as the Victorian Era. Even Spielberg's film is going to look terribly old-fashioned someday, and probably sooner than we think. So you might as well go with the great original, particularly if you can get more resources and talent for it than Hines had. (And whatever you do, KEEP the "Thunder Child" episode!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:12 pm 
Martian War Lord

Wells wrote:
To reply to your original post about my "dramatization". You need to read this:http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1185
I'm currently trying to revise it.

I haven't got time to read it at the moment Wells. I'll have to come back to it another time. Sorry about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:12 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Loz wrote:
True there aren't many, you have to go back to the 50's & 60's to get films like 'Jules Verne's 20'000 leagues under the sea, journey to the centre of the Earth'. but who can forget the modern classic 'THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN' or 'Van Helsing' or should that be classed as Horror-Fantasy? :-k it's probably films like these last two and 'The Time Machine' Spielberg was referring to.

Yeah your right about those Van Helsing and League Films. He must mean those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:24 pm 

I think there still is a chance for a straight adaptation of WOTW in it's original Victorian setting. If you look at the Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and George Pal's version of "The Time Machine" they spent some time setting up the period which audiences would have an idea of before bringing in the fantastic elements. If you wanted to you could set a film version of "WOTW" around the time of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897 (when the story was first serialised) so it would help audiences get into the period setting before bringng in the Martians: how effective it would be in having Britain's celebration of it's imperial greatness disrupted by the Martian invasion. Also as Queen Victoria inspected the fleet at Portsmouth then the "Thunderchild" would be in the right place to steam quickly round to the East Coast to combat the Martians.

A second point would be not to do it in a sedate literary syle similar to Merchant/Ivory but adopt the style of filming used in the recent productions of "Bleak House" and "Jane Eyre": edgy with hand-held cameras and creating a fast pace. Imagne how effective it would be in say the scenes on Horsell Common, the battle at Weybridge and Shepperton and the narrator and the curate trapped in the ruined house. Also those adaptations while making alterations were respectful of the original. It's a challenge that just needs to be taken up bythe right type of film-maker - or perhaps even the BBC. With "Doctor Who", "Life on Mars", "Torchwood", the remakes of "The Quatermass Experiment" and "A for Andromeda" under its belt and new productions of "Dracula" and "Frankenstein" coming up maybe they could have a go. After all the corporation made an exceelent version of "The Invisible Man"in 1984.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:51 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lovely idea but it won't happen, Jeff Wayne holds the copyright to WOTW in Britain and I can't see him allowing another version to be made, until long after his CGI version is released in 2007.
I tried to get one of my Paintings ('The Thunder Child') printed, so Lee (The administrator of this site) could sell them to help finance 'eveofthewar.co.uk' I asked members of he forum if they would be interested and Jeff's layers came down on us like a tone on bricks :(

It would be good though, if the BBC could have a bash at it, they are good at costume dramas :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:27 pm 
Tripod King

I'M BACK! HOME! (sob)

Just found your new website. It's good to be home again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:28 pm 
Martian War Lord

Alland wrote:
I'M BACK! HOME! (sob)

Just found your new website. It's good to be home again.

:-k What do you mean "new website" we've been here for the last three years. :-k
You're the one who went walk-about, where have you been? we missed you.
No one to argue with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:18 pm 
Tripod King

First time I come to this thread since November and I find myself criticized. Maybe your website isn't new, but finding the spot to log onto it was. I'd been trying to find you guys for months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:53 am 
Martian War Lord

We're all glad you found your way back to us :D

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 15 posts ]