Home Page Home Page  [ 10 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: HCs Review Of ULLAdubULLA II Album
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:45 am 
Tripod King

Released on April 17th 2006

RRP: £9.99

SonyBMG & Columbia label

Title: Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds - ULLAdubULLA II - The Remix Album

I really was not expecting much in the way of memorable remixes of the 'new' variety when learning of the release of ULLAdubULLA II, and I was not dissopointed. The entire album contains tracks previously released except for 3 tracks which were new for this album. Sadly the lack of classic remixes that have made the tracks from the Playstation game and the original 2000 release of ULLAdubULLA much loved.

1/ ULLAdubULLA - Papa Ootzie Remix

Many will be familiar with this track, being released before on both ULLAdubULLA (2000) and the remix CD that comes with the 7 disc 'Collector's Edition'

2/ HORSELL COMMON AND THE HEAT RAY (Everybody Gather) - Zube Remix

Not many will actually know this, but this is infact Jeff's son who was behind this remix. Profressionally mixed, many will not like the idea of this being a 'rap' record, myself being one and it does take some time to get use to.

3/ THE EVE OF THE WAR (Cosmos Mix) - Tom Middleton

Here is the first of many remixes of the opening track to the 1978 album. Originally released in September of 2005, this is the 7" remix.

4/ FOREVER AUTUMN - N-Trance Remix

This is the 7" remix taken from both the 2000 release of ULLAdubULLA and the 2005 7 disc 'Collector's Edition' remixes disc.

5/ THE ARTILLERYMAN AND THE FIGHTING MACHINE - Max Mondo Remix

Many will recognise this from being released on the Playstation (PS1) game and both the ULLAdubULLA and the 'Collector's Edition' remixes disc.

6/ THE RED WEED - Stephen Murphey Remix

This is another of the ambient tracks taken from the Playstation (PS1) game.

7/ BRAVE NEW WORLD - Todd Terry Remix

Taken from the original 2000 release of ULLAdubULLA album and the 7 disc 'Collector's Edition' remixes disc.

8/ THE SPIRIT OF MAN - Max Mondo

Taken from both the 2000 release of ULLAdubULLA and the 7 disc 'Collector's Edition' remixes disc.

9/ THE EVE OF THE WAR (Fire In The Sky) - HYBRID Remix

This is one of my personal favourites. Taken from from both the original ULLAdubULLA album and the 7 disc 'Collector's Edition' remixes disc.

10/ FOREVER ATUMN (Dark Autumn Dub) - Tom Frederikse & Gaetan Schurrer Remix

Long time remix of the classic FOPREVER AUTUMN that appeared on the 1995 remastered version (4 bonus tracks), 2000 ULLAdubULLA release and the 7 disc 'Collector's Edition' remixes disc.

11/ DEAD LONDON - Stephen Murphy Remix

Another classic remix track taken from the Playstation game.

12/ THE SPIRIT OF MAN (The Spirit Of Dub)

This is the 7" version remixed from the track as featured on the remixes disc that came with the 7 disc 'Collector's Edition'.

13/ BRAVE NEW WORLD - Dario G Remix

Taken from both the original 2000 release of ULLAdubULLA and the 7 disc 'Collector's Edition' set.

14/ THE EVE OF THE WAR (Radio Edit) - Ben Liebrand

Another long time classic remix first released in 1989 and featured on the remixes disc that came with the 7 disc 'Collector's Edition'.

15/ HORSELL COMMON AND THE HEAT RAY - Max Mondo Remix

Taken from the Playstation game, ULLAdubULLA and the 7 disc 'Collector's Edition' albums, this is the 7" remix.

16/ THE EVE OF THE WAR - DJ Keltech

The 2nd new remix featured on this album, many will like this. Certainly differant but sadly not fresh. The opening of the track does sound as if you disc is faulty, but it's well worth a listen.

17/ THE SPIRIT OF MAN - Zube Remix

The 3rd new remix and second remix on the album by Jeff's son. This is another 'rap' track, but certainly worthy of a single release. Though many may not like the idea of it being a rap record, it does bring the track/album into today's music industry.

HCs VERDICT

My verdict on this and being a fan of the album since childhood, I can understand as to why this album has been released. As I have already mentioned many will like this album such as the younger generations who are familiar with dance, trance and such remixes, but the older generation will struggle to find something new and fresh amoungst the tracks. I was infact dissopointed in the overall layout of the remixes. Though the remixes are of the professional nature we have come to know, the album just does not hit the mark and the album should have contained more newer remixes.

And so I will give the album a honest 5 / 10

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:27 pm 
Martian War Lord

I think you have been over generous, I was very disappointed with this remix and will only keep it as part of my WOTW collection.
When I first opened the CD box I was looking for the second disc.... :a103: No second disc :a009:
Whilst listening to the album I thought "I've heard this one before and this one and this one" and then there was one I hadn't heard :D ..... :( and I don't want to hear it again thank you very much :a009: I am not a rap fan, too old or too sensible :lol:

2 / 10

I feel I have wasted a tenner :a091:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:34 pm 
Tripod King

The whole album just screams "cash-in". The rap tracks, though professinally done in production, I just hate the rap. The rap songs dont tie in with the story and some of the lyrics contained in them I found offensive. The last track THE SPIRIT OF MAN featuring Saint Nick contains lyrics about schools and peadaphiles (sorry if I have spelt that wrong), what was Jeff thinking about letting that in.

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:04 pm 
Martian War Lord

Well readers of this tread won't be rushing out to buy, will they? [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:32 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:

We don't read treads Lonesome. We leave that to forensics. :roll: :wink:

Sounds like a rip off to me. I can't understand why it is Ulladubulla 2. It's like a sequal with the same scenes as the origional with a few new ones.

The remixes on the pc game will always be the best.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:03 pm 
Martian War Lord

Loz wrote:
Lonesome Crow wrote:

We don't read treads Lonesome. We leave that to forensics. :roll: :wink:

Sounds like a rip off to me. I can't understand why it is Ulladubulla 2. It's like a sequal with the same scenes as the origional with a few new ones.

The remixes on the pc game will always be the best.

You can't even call it a sequel (or what ever you called it) I quite enjoyed the original (or what ever you called it) one. :wink: But £10 for three new sub-standard tracks is a bit much [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:03 pm 

strange that people consider Rap a new phenomenon, or the inclusion of Rap being way too now or modern for a WOTW'S REMIX, infact Rap was around at the time of the Original album release.

Mars, better red than dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:39 pm 
Martian War Lord

POD1 wrote:
strange that people consider Rap a new phenomenon, or the inclusion of Rap being way too now or modern for a WOTW'S REMIX, infact Rap was around at the time of the Original album release.

Yes but it was spelt with a "C" back then :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:08 pm 

you're not kiddin, the other day I was listening to some Rap from back in the day and although at the time I may have thought it radical and street- groovy, I now found it a little bit embarrassing if not silly. It is still street though but more sesame street than mean street.

Mars, better red than dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:37 pm 
Martian War Lord

:lol:

Even so, I don't think 'Rap' is the right genre for a Victorian setting, Jeff pulled it off brilliantly back in the 70's because his style of music was new and fresh and couldn't be compared to anything else, but as you said, Rap is street music and associated with a totally different culture, it doesn't fit, whilst listening to it, everything shouts NO! :a091:

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 10 posts ]