Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 7 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Influences on Richard Matheson and George Romero
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:18 pm 

I was on the Barnes & Nobel website looking just thinking about buying Stephen King's new "Great American Zombie Novel" :) , Cell, and the premise is about an art teacher who is trying to reach his wife and son amidst a zombie holocaust caused by something transmitted though cell phones called "the Pulse". He dedicates his new book to Richard Matheson and George Romero. You may know that Matheson is the author of "I Am Legend" and Romero you know as the creator of the "Dead" trilogy. Both are somewhat similar to Wotw and I couldn't help but think maybe they either drew some of their inspiration from the novel or the radio broadcast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:13 am 
Martian War Lord

I can't really see the connection to WotW :-k Zombies and Vampires are about people that have been changed, WotW is about an Alien invasion.
unless you are talking about the apocalyptic side of the stories, but lets face it stories of that nature are as old as the Ark, quite literally.
BBC radio 7 have just finished a broadcast of 'I am Legend' (A good story but it didn't make me think of WotW's) :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:37 am 
Tripod King

A world inhabited mostly by vampires makes me think of the old Vincent Price movie "The Last Man On Earth". Anyone else see it? In it, the vampirism was a literal plague carried by disease germs that killed people and made them come back as undead, and Price's character survived because he'd been previously bitten by an infected vampire bat, and the diluted germs caused him to build up an immunity to the disease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:55 pm 
Martian War Lord

Alland wrote:
A world inhabited mostly by vampires makes me think of the old Vincent Price movie "The Last Man On Earth". Anyone else see it? In it, the vampirism was a literal plague carried by disease germs that killed people and made them come back as undead, and Price's character survived because he'd been previously bitten by an infected vampire bat, and the diluted germs caused him to build up an immunity to the disease.
Yes, "The Last Man On Earth"1964 is Hollywood's interpretation of 'I am Legend' it was remade as 'The Omega Man'1971 staring 'Gun Nut' Charlton Heston. And now it is being remade yet again, possibly staring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:48 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lonesome Crow wrote:
Alland wrote:
Yes, "The Last Man On Earth"1964 is Hollywood's interpretation of 'I am Legend' it was remade as 'The Omega Man'1971 staring 'Gun Nut' Charlton Heston. And now it is being remade yet again, possibly staring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Another gun nut.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:45 pm 

Yeah, about the new "I Am Legend" movie I headr somwhere that Will Smith will probably play the lead in the film unless I heard wrong. Anyway, I was just intriged by how the George Romero zombie films usually had news coverage of the zombie attack which just made me think of the 1938 radio broadcast( these scenes can be found in "Night" and "Dawn"). Even though this is from my point of view rather than a coincedence, when I read about the Martians dying because of bacteria or germs I sometimes think of that kind of scenario that usually occur in other zombie movies. Perhaps the goverment took the dead bodies of the Martians away and they were still infested with disease and so they decide to contain the bodies so that they will have a bioweapon incase they encounter the Martians again, and then a hundred or so years later there is an accident. So to make a long story short, where H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds ends, George Romero's Night of the Living Dead begins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:36 pm 
Martian War Lord

In the book, they only have one full specemin of a martiaon cadiver. It is pickled and on show in the Natural history museum if memory serves me correct. Most bodies where either eaten by dogs or birds or mutilated by angry survivors.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 7 posts ]