View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:50 am 
Advanced Member

It's been a few days since I last looked at the message board for the Pendragon film on the IMDB, but it was being suggested there that Paramount own the screen rights to the title 'War of the Worlds' in the U.S. and various other countries, and therefore Pendragon are legally unable to release their movie in these territories without gaining permission from Paramount.<br /><br />Can anyone thrown any light on this, or is it just an internet rumour?<br /><br />And if it is correct, should Pendragon consider a title change?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:35 am 

The book is an open domain now, from what I understand. What this means is, ANYONE can make/re-make H.G. WELLS War of the Worlds (meaning, it takes place in the late 1800s England, etc.,) but the "War of the Worlds" as a modern re-telling, etc. has a license (which Paramount holds.) I could be wrong though.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:01 am 

Fenris wrote:
It's been a few days since I last looked at the message board for the Pendragon film on the IMDB, but it was being suggested there that Paramount own the screen rights to the title 'War of the Worlds' in the U.S. and various other countries, and therefore Pendragon are legally unable to release their movie in these territories without gaining permission from Paramount. Can anyone thrown any light on this, or is it just an internet rumour? And if it is correct, should Pendragon consider a title change?

It wasn't until coming on this forum that i realised that i don't have many arguments against futher expansion of the concept of WOTW but what i do have is a real passion for our beloved book.Nothing at all personnal Fenris but if this is true,i find it very sad and shocking to say the least.Bloody politics that surround our sacred book i find disallusioning.Its the original text that should have the right over anything.Theres that much going on with the title WOTW that it seems sometimes the book will get smothered by everything being piled on top of it.Its been virtually ignored for 107 years by film makers(yes i know its only now in the last few years that we have got the technology)Pendragon should(its only my opinion)never,repeat never even think of changing the title of their film.For theres is our book The War of the Worlds and for me mate,they can safley where that badge with pride(god,don't i go on)don't answer that.......

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:46 pm 
Tripod King

Paramount tried to stop Pendragon on this very basis a long time ago. They failed and had to acknowledge Pendragons right to make their movie, there is no threat to the Pendragon production from that quarter.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:23 pm 
Advanced Member

Thanks for your replies everyone, but I'm not quite sure that you've grasped what my initial post was saying; <br /><br />It's been suggested that Paramount own the screen rights to the TITLE.<br /><br />Nobody is saying that Pendragon can't make or screen a movie based on WOTW. What is being claimed is that in most countries, including America, only Paramount have the right to release a film entitled War of the Worlds.<br /><br />If this is true, it means Pendragon's movie can only be released if (i.) they obtain a licence from Paramount, the rights holder, or (ii.) they retitle it.<br /><br />Like I said, this may just be an unfounded rumour, but if there's any truth to it, this will cause Pendragon serious problems.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:03 pm 
Martian War Lord

I think Pendragon are calling theirs "H G Wells, War of the Worlds."

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:31 pm 
Martian War Lord

The book was called The War of the worlds I wounder if that is enough of a change from War of the Worlds (the Paramount version)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:36 am 

Read my above post - I covered it there entirely.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:07 pm 
Tripod King

as i said, this was one of the grounds for Paramounts effort to halt the Pendragon production but it didnt work, i could make and release a film called War Of The Worlds if i really wanted to, along with the entire human race without harrasment from Paramount

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 9 posts ]