Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 10 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: A Dramatization of War of the Worlds
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:46 pm 

The following story is inspired by the Orson Welles broadcast of War of the Worlds and the WKBW broadcast. This breif story allows you to see the horrific events of a modern day, real-life attack from the planet Mars through the eyes of a survivor like the main character in H.G. Wells' original story. This story is merely a dramatization in the same style of the original broadcast from 1938 and the second broadcast from 1971. I am not going to use any names for the characters or places the Martians attack because I do not wish to offend anyone. I am leaving the rest of the story up to your imagination

No one would have believed in the 21st century that our planet was being closely observed by intelligences greater than man. They scrutinize us as one with a microscope would scrutinize microscopic creatures swarming and multiplying in a drop of water. As we busy ourselves on this planet, across the vastness of space they watched and waited and slowly but surely drew their plans against us.

H.G. Wells' the War of the the Worlds: A Dramatization

This morning on "Good Morning America" before going to school, I saw a report stating that the surface of Mars is showing signs of volcanic activity of some sort. NASA said that one of the blasts was so powerful that it destroyed one of the Exploration Rovers. Bill Nigh("the Science Guy") was on the show to talk about the explosions and frankly it sparks more debates about life on Mars. First we hear about faces and pyramids, then canals, now underground volcanoes. When asked on the subject of life on Mars, Bill's response was "The chances of anything man-like coming from Mars are a million to one",..but still they came. After I got to the high school and got to homeroom and my other classes in time, while I was in my third class I couldn't help but notice how gloomy it looked outside and as class started we heard a loud bang outside and then the whole building began to shake like there was an earthquake. When the rumbling stopped the whole school began buzzing with talk of a terrorist attack until someone shouted to look out the window and across the street, right literally smack dab in the middle of the parking lot there was a meteor. Most of the seinors dared to defy the orders of their teachers and rushed outside to get a better look. Soon, half of the whole school went out to look at it, there was no worry of traffic because the people left their cars in the middle of the road. The fire department, the police, and news people arrived at the scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:58 pm 

The firemen hosed down the steaming object and after it began to cool down bits and pieces of rock fell from the thing and revealed a huge metal cylinder shaped capsule. Everyone is utterly puzzled by the sight. Some of the onlookers begin taking pictures either with their cell phones or disposable cameras. The police have set up a barracade around it to avoid anyone from getting close. "I was just sitting eating my lunch when I hear this wierd hissing sound coming from outside and then I see the bright flash and then WHAM! this loud noise hits me" said a customer from the nearby fast-food place as he was being interviewed by the newswoman. I later run into my cousin who is awestruck like everyone else. Meanwhile, the newswoman is interviewing two of the police officers who are guarding the metal "pod". "Well, it doesn't look like any kind of satellite that I've heard of" said the one policeman. "Mabey its a rocket but the way it hit the ground it doesn't look like theres anything living in there" said the second policeman. While they where talking with her, I was standing with my cousin and my friends and I were talking about the cylinder. I brought up the report about the explosions on Mars and they heard it too. "Yeah, I heard this one conspiracy theory that our government already made contact with aliens from another planet" said on friend. "So you think those aliens are in that thing" I questioned. "Either that or God is angry at us again" said my cousin. "We better get the day off for this" said another friend. All of a sudden the thing begins to vibrate and soon a part of it begins unscrewing. "There is something living inside this so we may get to see what our visitor looks like...the lid fell off and it appears we can make out who is in there" said the newswoman. "It looks like a gray snake slithering..now it looks like four worm-like tentacles writhing out of the pod and..Oh My God! the thing its hideous!" said the newswoman as the camera man is getting every second of it. The Martian looked like a freakish mutated squid with long tentacles, an "angry face", two disk like eyes, and a small v-shaped mouth. Everyone became horrified by the the Martian and they back up real quick like. Everyone is now far from the crash site especially me and my cousin. I can make out a policeman, a priest from a nearby church, and some other people following the policeman who is carrying a white flag. They continue waving the flag to make the Martians understand that they are intelligent like the Martians but that doesn't matter to the invaders. The Martian crawls back into the cylinder. Veee veeeee tktkttktk bzzzz bzzzz are the sounds eminating from the cylinder. "Hey we come in peace...what the hell!" said the policeman. Suddenly, a powerful blast strikes them head on and they burst into flame. Soon the heat-ray is turned on everyone running from the cylinder and it even destroys cars and blasts off part of the bridge.

Last edited by Wells on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:24 pm 

As soon as the heat-ray was unleashed I began to run as fast as I could back to the school. "Dear God! Charred corpses are laying in the streets all of them vicitms of some form of death ray this.. this is very hard to comprehend with. A rough estimate of forty casulties some have been injured by the blasts some had arms and legs burned completely off by the ray. The whole student body has gatered in the auditorium hoping that we may be sent home and that the military may come in to blow up the cylinder before anything else is to occur. One of the downsides about being a student in a private school, which is also a religious school, is that our pincipal and mabey a few of the administrators there would have preconcieved notions about this horrendous event. They believe that this is a sign of the rapture and I heard the principal say that the creatures in that capsule are really beigns sent by God to purge us of the sinful side of our souls. The teachers and other workers and other administrators felt that it is unfair that they are to stay here to throw themselves down and be slaughtered and demanded that they and the students ordered home to be with their families. We got a TV in the auditorium and we all watched the national news. "We have now recieved a report that more cylinders have landed outside of the States. Some have landed in different parts of Europe,Russia, and Asia. Another buuletin has been handed to me and it says that troops will be brought in to deal with the matter at hand." said the anchorman. Outside, the military were vigilant over the capsule which was making noises as if the Martian was trying to build something. "Tell us general, did you make any further plans to evacuate the local homes and businesses" said the newswoman interviewing one of the commanding officers. "Yes, the towns and cities in the county have been put under martial law and we are now in the process of evacuating the students from this school which strangely the principal will not let the students go which I am afraid we'll have to use force" said the soldier. "How so?" said the newswoman. "Since the doors are locked tightly we may have to break these doors down since they refuse to open them" replied the soldier. I called my dad and told him if he heard the news and what he plans on doing and he told me that since they are under martial law they are immediately evacuating to my uncle's house and he told me the area my school was in was being barracaded off and asked if me and my cousin could make it out of the barricades. Then as soon as I am done talking with my dad the military breaks down the doors and we all grab our bookbags and coats and leave in a flash. "What are we going to do?" asked my cousin. "My dad told me that we may have to find a ride this time, appanently they won't let him and my brother into the area and that they should go straight to our uncle's house and your mother will meet us miles from here near the court house. "GET DOWN,MOVE,MOVE!" shouted the army men. Soon a loud explosion is heard behind us and we see that they tried to blow up the cylinder but then somthing rises up from the rubble. We all stopped and saw what appeared to be a UFO with the heat-ray built into the hood of the machine and then we saw somthing else. We saw that the UFO was mounted on giant stilts with a large metal ball where the three legs meet and also attached to the ball was four long wire like tentacles dangaling. When the military fires off the bombs and guns the heat-ray is shot off incinerating the military men and blows up part of the bridge crushing houses beneath it. Another student just drops their cell phone running away from the monster which I grabbed just in case. Soon me and my cousin meet with a teacher asks if we need a ride we told the teacher where we needed to go. When we arrived at the court building there were many people and cars trying to cross the bridge. As we cross we heard someone shout that four fighting machines were headed our way towards the bridge. Three apache helicoptors fly by and the pilots follow their orders and destroy the bridge before the Martians could get across. Knowing that I was going to fall, I purposely took my cousins cell phone and gave him the one I took and told him if I was to be separated he will call me from our uncle's house. As soon as the bridge fell I slid down into the water and was nearly trampled to death when several people tried climb up the bridge which was pitched at an angle.

Last edited by Wells on Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:09 pm 
Martian War Lord

:D =D> Sounding good, keep it coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:27 am 

I managed to escape with some slight bruises. I was also fortunate enough to find an abandoned boat so I quickly threw in my backpack and climbed aboard. The tripods swatted the helicopters out of the sky like they were mere flies but the war in the air wasn't over yet. As I rowed away from the Martians there was a deafening roar and woosh of air and I saw a bomber nicknamed "Thunderchild" gliding towars the approaching Martians. The bomber dropped the first wave on the machines doing severe damage to the fourth tripod which was finished off by the blasts from three bazooka guns on the other side of the bridge. The blasts killed the Martian inside and detached the hood from the legs. "They got it, they killed one!" rejoiced one of the people. The bomber was about to go in to drop the second wave but then one of the fighting machines raises its hood towards the sky and discharges the heat-ray. The engines on the plane explode and is going to crash and does so but takes out the leg of one machine before chrashing and exploding in the river. The wave of water drowns the people trying to climb up the bridge and sweeping me further up the river, I blacked out. "We have more information about the Martians, apparently they do not wish to destroy buildings but they intend on smashing holes into highways, melting traintracks with their heat-rays, cutting telephone and power lines, and, this is new, engulfing airports in a black gas that is so leathal gas masks are completely useless against it" said the news anchor. "We are now going to our reporter on the field" said the anchor. "Its pandemonium here people are getting out of their cars and leaving in an exodus, this is truly an overwhelming sight" said the newsman. I woke up to discover that I was found unconcious on the river and brought me on bus headed towards a shelter but it ran off the road probably because of the Martians blasting a hole in the highway. The cell phone I took from my cousin began to ring and I eagerly answered it. My cousin told me that my mother, father, brother, and sister didn't arrive yet. With that news still on my mind I kept wandering through the city and as I was walking I noticed something odd. Growing on the trees and even buildings was this bizzare plant that looked like red spider veins but with catus thorns growing on it. The red weed was growing into buildings causing the concrete to crack. I found my way to a shopping mall and decided to go inside to rest for awhile. I walk in and I look in one of the music stores and then behind me I hear a person move then I hear a gun click. "Where are you from?" said the man. "A long time ago from ......." I replied. "....... eh" he replied and removed the gun.

Last edited by Wells on Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:19 am 

"One of those Martians wiped almost all of the officers in my precinct. We were controlling a riot that broke out in the city" explained the policeman. He was a very tough looking man with a scar on his face and a deep voice. "I'm just gonna tell you this kid, anything like food, drink, clothing is free but take anything that is more of a want than a neccesity without leaving any money I'm throwing your ass out of here! I don't want any looters here" said the policeman. "Hey what's going on?" said a stranger. I call him a stranger because he looks like a very shady character with tatoos and such. On his shoulder was hanging a pretty young woman with dark hair. The policeman told me that the girl was his daughter and the stranger is her boyfriend. The three began bickering and I felt while I was still there I might find a clean shirt and some food. I put the tatered school shirt in my backpack along with some food and drinks and started off to a store that had a TV with the news on. As I walk into the store to watch the news I look at the mechandise there. "Hey kid, you get to see one of those?" said the stranger nodding towards the TV which had a picture of the fighting machines on it. "Yes, I did" I nervously replied. "Did you know those things have these metal baskets attached to their backs. The grab people with with those long arms and they put them in those baskets and you know what they do with them" said the stranger. "Should I know" I replied. "Oh yeah, they eat them alive ya see they're calling it "the massacre of mankind" " said the stranger. I become frightened and I grabbed what I want, put the money in the register but the stranger kept talking. "See I know the end has come for us but I know a way for us to start over. We'll hide in sewers and dig tunnels and start an new life there. We can get army men to help us fight off those freaks. And we can find women, real women to breed with and it be a lot better than being bred and fed like an animal by them." raved the stranger. The stranger began to rave about his plans for his new republic like how to solve spousal problems, which relates to the treatment of his girlfriend and even talked about getting me science books so I can find out how the machines and the heat-ray work then the policeman comes in. The policeman and the stranger argue outside. "I would rather be a writer" I said under my breath. I started to think about what the stranger said but I agree more with the policeman that we should just wait this out suddenly the policeman's daughter was having problems breathing and I check on her and I go tell them that something is wrong. I am sitting outside worried and then I hear crying and yelling and soon a fight breaks out between the policeman and the stranger. The fight goes on for five minutes, I grab a metal bar and to my horror the stranger pulls out a long knife and stabs the policeman repeatedly. Furious with rage I hit him in the back of the head with the bar and he goes down but he's still concious and cuts a wound in my leg and I hit him twice with the metal bar and he is finally unconcious with a gash on his head. I saw the lights of a machine through a nearby window and I limped to a backroom in one of the stores and shut the door. I heard a loud crash like the fighting machine walked through the window. I opened the door a crack and saw five Martians out of their machines. They were large like a bear and they lumbered around like they were weighed down by our gravity. The stranger began to move and the Martians move toward him and the rest I refused to watch so I shut the door tightly. I began to weep for the policeman and his daughter and I felt that what the stranger was going through was more than enough punishment as I heard his bloodcrudling scream. I dare open the door again and see that the Martians are examining the knife he used and I see the stranger a mess upon the floor. I also heard the people banging on the cages mounted on the backs of the fighting machines. The Martians have gone and I call my cousin again. "Is my dad there? Please let me talk to him!" I demanded. "Son! you're alright thank God, you mother didn't arrive....there is a sharp pain in my eye......a....." the phone lost its signal. I found a portable TV and I turned that on and found news coverage. "I am standing on the roof here in the city the only lights in the city are the ones from the Martian machines, they are shooting off canisters of black gas." the news woman begins to cry. "I don't want to.. its coming..*cough*.*cough*" the news woman and the cameraman drop dead. Isn't there anyone on the air...isn't there anyone on?
The War of the Worlds is over, we lost. That is what I thought. I stepped out of the room after nodding off to sleep and woke up at five thirty in the morning. The outside of the mall is covered in a black snow-like powder. It was an eerie feeling walking through the dead steeets of a once great city. I realized that I was a shell of of person everything was dead to me religion, military and government, and most importantly..humanity. I walked toward a machine throwing stones at it to make it angry enough to kill me with its heat-ray but then it swerved and crashed into a nearby building. Some people who were hiding in an abandoned bar rushed to my aid and told me that the Martians have been stopping dead all over the place. I saw brids flying towards the machines pecking at the dead Martians dead because of bacteria. I was reunited with my mother and sister and we made it to my uncle's house. My father and brother and cousin were there also. The sharp pain in my father's eye was caused by a theif trying to steal the car, he hit him in the eye when he smashed the window. It was only half a week off until we returned to school. Some parts of the school had to be repaired and we have a new principle after the old one was place in an asylum when he cracked that day. I told my parents what happened when I was separated and they suggested I see a psychiatrist to help with the nightmares. Yes, as I write in this diary to soon put it away until I need it again, it is now the holiday season and sales have been picking up and people are now able to see the parts of the Martian machines in exhibitions and museums. The invasion from Mars has changed everything we know including our beliefs and science. The military is having a hard time finding out how to operate the fighting machines and it may be a long time. Still with help and cooperation, the pulse of human kind will surely beat strong again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:26 pm 
Martian War Lord

=D> nice one 'Wells' an interesting adaptation of the original, Well done :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:10 pm 

Out of character: Thank you, Thank you, thank you. I would like to thank H.G. Wells himself including Orson Welles for introducing the panic broadcast to us and Jeff Wayne for providing a soundtrack to our favorite tale of an invasion from Mars. Also big ups to the filmakers who put Wells' novel onto the big screen. I would also like to mention once again the forgotten WKBW broadcast which provided an updated version of the 1938 dramatization. I would also like to tank you for reading this remake of H.G. Wells' thrilling sci-fi novel and Orson Welles' chilling radio drama because it could have been worse. I could have went on public radio with this or at least made a Blair Witch style scare of it. At least police officers aren't on high alert or frantic people aren't calling radio and TV stations asking if its the end of the world yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:41 pm 
Martian War Lord

:lol: Yeh' OK, your Oscar's in the post :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:50 pm 

Woo-Hoo! :D :lol:

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 10 posts ]