Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Nukes vs the Martians...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:52 pm 

Do you think nukes will be used in the film...will they be able to destroy the tripods?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:10 am 
Martian War Lord

That idea of using nukes was used before in Independence Day, so I'm not sure they will use it in the movie from Spielberg. I'm sure that some Tripods will get demolished though... It's not like the Haskin movie from 1953.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:58 am 
Martian War Lord

From what we can gather the Invaders can shut down Electricity, so this should mean guided missilesa won't work. The Cars all stop, we see that in the trailers. And I've read interviews with Keopp where he talks about finding away to shut the electricity down. However we know planes and tanks attack. So maybe they shut it down, but it gets working again somehow, before they shut it down permenantly.
The thing with the Pal film was the martians were out in the countryside at a sort of meeting place, before moving toward the cities. So Nuking them was an oiption. In this film the Martians appear in the cities. So nuking them would mean nuking the cities. Not really an option.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:03 pm 
Tripod King

Nuking them is too much of a cliche anyway.

"SUCH POWER EXISTS?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:04 pm 

But still, cliche or not, the major point is supposed to be that even our most powerful weapons can't stop them. Back in 1895, not even the mighty Royal Navy could stop the Martians, and in the 50s the almighty power of the Atom Bomb was completely useless. So until we think up something better than Fission or Fusion, we're stuck with Nukes as our last hope.

Civilization Fanatics Forum

Friends, meet Moskau-Man:
Add him to your signature, to help spread joy arround the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:48 pm 
Martian War Lord

But Nuking them while they are occupying cities would be a big mistake. Modern day atomics going off in heavily built up cities would be far more devestaing to the environment than if the same weapon was detonated in open countryside. All the materials that make up the city. The thousands upon thousands of tonnes of concrete, metal, plastic etc, would all be pulverised and sucked up into the mushroom cloud, and then all that volume of artificial materials would rain down as poisonous radioactive fall out. A lot of it would stay in the skys and bring on climate change. If the invaders are in every city, this would be the end of man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:42 pm 
Martian War Lord

but maybe if we screw the atmosphere up enough the invaders won't want our planet \:D/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:25 pm 

Quote:
But Nuking them while they are occupying cities would be a big mistake.

From some of the previews we can see battles being faught in rural areas, so they move out of the cities eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:58 am 

Question: were nukes used in the Spieberg film...or even mentioned? Also were any of our weapons capable of taking them down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:51 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yuri2356 wrote:
Quote:
But Nuking them while they are occupying cities would be a big mistake.

From some of the previews we can see battles being faught in rural areas, so they move out of the cities eventually.

We only see what Ray sees. So just because we see them in the country doesn't mean lots of others are not still in the cities. Very likely they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:55 pm 
Martian War Lord

Xuxa the White wrote:
Question: were nukes used in the Spieberg film...or even mentioned? Also were any of our weapons capable of taking them down?

We only get Ray's perspective remember so who knows what happens elsewhere in the world.

There are no Nukes featured in Ray's story.

As for FM's being taken down, you'll have to go and see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:47 am 

I guess if there ever is a book written, paralleling the movie, nukes might be mentioned. Also, other ares of the United States might have used nukes with success...areas that were not mentioned in the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:46 am 
Tripod King

If germs didn't do the job, nukes would be used eventually, cities or no cities. Remember, the human race is about to be reduced to the status of domestic cattle at best; better to go down fighting like men if we can take the enemy with us.

As far as the alien EMP attack is concerned, we can produce similar EMP effects, and have been able to for years, so all military electronics have been specially hardened against such attacks. This explains why tanks, helicopters, etc. belonging to the military still work after the civilian vehicles and communications have been knocked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:01 am 

I don't think Spielberg was really qualified to do such a movie; I admit I have not seen the movie, but I have read a lot about it and I am NOT impressed! Spielberg care much more for money than a good interpretation of the War of the Worlds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:11 pm 

Xuxa the White wrote:
I don't think Spielberg was really qualified to do such a movie; I admit I have not seen the movie, but I have read a lot about it and I am NOT impressed! Spielberg care much more for money than a good interpretation of the War of the Worlds!

Xuxa, trust me, Ignore the reviews.

Half of them are : OmGz!!2!211!@ Tm CrZ si TeH Suxorz!!!!112 Teh Alenies r so stoopid why dnt thy no abot teh germz????!!!!@1212131!

Or something to that effect, where they just Bitch on and on about how Tom is an evil scientoligist, Speilburg is a media whore, and people who hated the film becaues their tiny brains couldn't understand it without actualy thinking about things, and they expected to just sit there drooling as the plot is spoon-fed to them. (These are people so stupid that they couldn't figure out how the aliens died, even though Morgan Freeman clearly tells you what happened)

The other half retaliate against these, mostly through personal insults. They tell the first group to stop complaining, get a life, learn to speak english, ect. They'll acknowledge the plotholes in the movie, but defend by saying that these things are left unknown because we have to follow poor little Average-joe Ray Ferrier, who has NO IDEA what is going on (beyond the fact that giant killer tripods are ravaging the countryside) so we, the viewers, must be left to speculate.

Overall, it's an ok Film. Just go and see it for yourself, don't let your oppinions be shaped by the mindless haters or the blind followers. Just keep an open mind, and try to enjoy yourself.

Last edited by Yuri2356 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:50 pm 
Martian War Lord

=D> Very well said 'Yuri2356' =D>
I am a big fan of the Book and was affraid Paramount were going to spoil it by bringing it up to date. I was pleasantly surprised by the result.
Go and see it and judge for yourself, don't let other people tell you what to think [-X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:52 pm 
Martian War Lord

Having it a little up to date is something that I don't mind, as long as the majority sticks to the ORIGINAL story...

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:37 pm 
Martian War Lord

I say "Wells wrote it as a contemporary story, not a historical work of fiction".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:23 am 
Martian War Lord

Spot on Lonesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:57 pm 
Tripod King

I agree. It's nice that the film was modernized a little, but its also great that it stuck close to the original story :)

There are three types of people in this World. Those who can count, and those who can't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:59 am 
Tripod King

you know what would be a twist in an alien invasion story - the use of a nuclear bomb and it actually working :D

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:25 pm 
Martian War Lord

It would make a very short film [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:55 pm 
Tripod King

Lonesome Crow wrote:
It would make a very short film [-(

not necessarily, the nuclear bomb often doesnt come into play until the second half of a film after much deliberation as to whether it should be used. I suppose you could argue it worked in Independance Day since it was used to blow up the main alien ship but then that couldnt have happened without the deadly "All-Purpose Hollywood Computer Virus".

and then there was the BBC's "Invasion Earth" series which ended with the deployment of a nuke but it was never revealed if it worked or not.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:17 pm 
Tripod King

Quote:
...there was the BBC's "Invasion Earth" series ...

When was this shown, Leper?

There are three types of people in this World. Those who can count, and those who can't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:21 pm 
Tripod King

Sam wrote:
Quote:
...there was the BBC's "Invasion Earth" series ...

When was this shown, Leper?

back in '98 when invasion films were quite popular in Britain after Independance Day and Mars Attacks were both quite successful. It was quite good if a bit slow moving. I wish it were possible to get a DVD of it but it sank a bit like all non-comedy british sci fi that isnt Doctor Who (which is partially comedy).

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next