All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:48 am 
Martian War Lord

Speilbergs excuse for changing the end of the story is so crap people. Most films are books first and then made into films later and they don't usually change the end, unless the filmakers just don't like it. Pure and simple. McMurphy has his labotomy at the end of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest as in the book, but it doesn't spoil the film. We all know that Charlie gets the factory at the end of Charlie and the Chocoplate Factory but I bet Tim Burton hasn't altered that. We all know that Lenny gets killed by his best friend at the end of Of Mice and Men but that's never been changed in any oif the films. The list is endless. So to say that knowing what happens at the end of a film ruins it is patronizing. It would be great to build in the sighns of the illness the Martians go through, and develop them to their final last Uuuuuuuuuulllllllaaaaaa-a-aa-aa-a-aaaa-a-a.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:59 am 

:D There's no 'h' in signs Loz(got ya)

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:03 am 
Martian War Lord

Chocoplate Factory is pretty bad to huh? Sheesh. Everyone knows their are two ps in chocopplate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:05 am 

:lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:09 am 
Martian War Lord

I am right about the end though but I know that you know that I know that you know that. Maybe they don't like music, and we scare them off with ice cream vans. Or maybe we download a computer virus into their mainframe or maybe just maybe THEY DIE OF COMMON BACTERIA LIKE IN THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:40 am 

[QUOTE]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:06 pm 
Martian War Lord

Maybe the Martians, oops Aliens, find some Lemsip this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:27 pm 

how about we just wait till the movie comes out.....

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:55 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Feb 18 2005, 05:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Feb 18 2005, 05:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how about we just wait till the movie comes out.....<br />[right][snapback]1123[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Wait 'til it comes out?!? You mean actually judge it once we've seen it instead of making our minds up months before its release? And ruin all this wild speculation?<br /><br />You must be mad... :blink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:11 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Feb 18 2005, 05:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Feb 18 2005, 05:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how about we just wait till the movie comes out.....<br />[right][snapback]1123[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Well said gavv8 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:54 pm 
Tripod King

ive seen no confirmation of a changing of the ending, just some hints from Speilberg that seem to pave the way for it. Im unusually on "wait and see" side on this.<br /><br />however i will reiterate<br /><br />changing the ending = failure of an adaptation

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:12 am 

You know considering just about anyone who has been alive and paying attention in the last 100 years knows how the story ends. So I'm not going to be all the upset if the ending it changed. All I want is for it to be clever and unexpected which after so much science fiction is kind of difficult but still possible. I guess the chances of anything different coming from Hollywood are 100 to one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:50 am 
Martian War Lord

There are lots of people who don't know the end, who haven't read the book, heard the album or seen the Pal film and think Orsen Wells used to sell Carlsberg. They should be exposed to it in this movie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:56 am 
Tripod King

the stories been told before so its ok to rip it off and still call it WOTW to get a few extra people into the cinema? i think not.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:59 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 22 2005, 03:56 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 22 2005, 03:56 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the stories been told before so its ok to rip it off and still call it WOTW to get a few extra people into the cinema? i think not.<br />[right][snapback]1223[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I don't believe that was my point. Granted for those not familiar with it might appreciate the original ending. However as a WOTW's fan I don't care so much about those people and if they don't like it they can watch and read the other versions. Personally I like them putting a new twist on an old story because other wise what would be the point in remaking it if its the same thing we have seen or read before. I do think it will end like most science fiction films in that humanity just barely survives by the skin of its teeth which I feel was the orignal intent of the ending, just getting damn lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:36 pm 
Tripod King

well its simple, the story goes that they die from infection by bacteria. If you dont do that, its not the story and therefore not War Of The Worlds. A new ending changes the story completely and an overthrow of the aliens by any human effort is unacceptable

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:44 pm 
Martian War Lord

listen to the Leper. he mighn't like Bowie but he knows his good book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:50 pm 
Advanced Member

Spielberg has been quoted as saying the ending of the Paramount film will "neither stray from the end of the book, nor mimic it".<br /><br />Thanks Steve, that's as clear as mud.<br /><br /><br />Okay, I realise that he doesn't want to give the ending of his movie away, but wouldn't it have been better if he'd said nothing at all, instead of indulging in doublespeak?<br /><br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:53 pm 
Martian War Lord

So they still die of bugs, but probably not naturally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:04 pm 

Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith disguise themselves as McDonald's employees and fix the Martians happy meals...without washing their hands after using the bathroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:17 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 23 2005, 02:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 23 2005, 02:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->well its simple, the story goes that they die from infection by bacteria.  If you dont do that, its not the story and therefore not War Of The Worlds.  A new ending changes the story completely and an overthrow of the aliens by any human effort is unacceptable<br />[right][snapback]1286[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Changing the end of a story isn't always a bad idea.<br />They changed the ending to The Planet of the Apes, (the first version that is)and thank God they did. I don't know if you have read Pierre Boulle's original book, my advice is don't bother, it's crap, :P He will keep calling the apes, 'monkeys', that sort of thing realy p*sses me off :angry: <br />So change isn't always a bad thing. so mellow out guys :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:19 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 23 2005, 04:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 23 2005, 04:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Changing the end of a story isn't always a bad idea.<br />They changed the ending to The Planet of the Apes, (the first version that is)and thank God they did. I don't know if you have read Pierre Boulle's original book, my advice is don't bother, it's crap, :P  He will keep calling the apes, 'monkeys', that sort of thing realy pisses me off :angry: <br />So change isn't always a bad thing. so mellow out guys :D<br />[right][snapback]1315[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Thank you LC! I'm all for changing and ending if it its clever and surprising. Hell maybe this time the aliens are killed off by something totaly unexpected. I can only speculate but knowing writers maybe H.G. Wells had a few different endings in mind as most writers do. We know he wrote in the Uber Morlock for The Time Machine which was eventually brought back to life in the more recent movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:56 am 

Maybe the Martians die at the hands of Team America....World Police. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:11 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 23 2005, 11:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 23 2005, 11:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Changing the end of a story isn't always a bad idea.<br />They changed the ending to The Planet of the Apes, (the first version that is)and thank God they did. I don't know if you have read Pierre Boulle's original book, my advice is don't bother, it's crap, :P  He will keep calling the apes, 'monkeys', that sort of thing realy p*sses me off :angry: <br />So change isn't always a bad thing. so mellow out guys :D<br />[right][snapback]1315[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Planet of the Apes is a terrible book, so if your going to make it into a film then its only the concept you are using and its okay to change something crap. But War of the Worlds is classic. You shouldn't mess with a classic. It's like changing the end of Hamlet and having him sort it out with his mother and step dad at the end. Or Romeo and Juliet and not have them die but live happilly ever after.<br />Some things you change because the source material is shabby but the idea is sound. Logan's Run is arguably a better film than the book with lots of changes. But nobody says the book is a masterpeice. Animal Farm and 1984 are other books that shouldn't be messed around with. They can't have altered endings, and War of the Worlds falls into the same catergory.<br />If you want to make a film similar to War of the Worlds, then there is nothing wrong in that in my opinion. You call it something else and give a little nod to where you have taken your inspiration from.<br />In Planet of the Apes they came up with a better ending and went with it and got a superior product. You can not come up with a better ending for War of the Worlds. Period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:29 pm 

I like your words Loz(A man after my own heart)nice! :)

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next