All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:23 pm 
Martian War Lord

I'm a huge fan of War of the Worlds and by that I mean the book and the images it conjures up in my imagination. And I have always saught out artists renditions of images from the book. And in all the artwork I have seen, and I must have seen almost all of it by now, such as book covers, the album, film etc., and in all the different takes I have yet to see an artist create a fighting Machine in which you can see the Martian highly visable, in the hood. In the book Wells clearly states that the Martians are clearly visable in the driving seat so to speak. So why doesn't anybody ever recreate this. The image is a magnificent one, a huge metalic war machine, striding along on three legs, with the tenticale headed Martians pulling the leavers and hooting away to one another. The Jeff Wayne artwork just has those green eyes, which sometimes appear to be window like and other times flesh. The George Pall ones show nothing. In fact I tell a lie I seem to remember you get a glimpse of a Martian in the rejected Dean artwork that he did for the Album. <br />Lets hope that Pendragon have visable Martian Warlords in their hoods. Suitably crushed by Earth's greater gravity.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:43 am 

I must say it would be interetsing to see what a MFM would like from an Aliens Point of View, but that would be impossible for the book to describe as it is from the Journalist perspective and not a normally narrated story. Speilberg might show this but I should imagine Pendragon won't. <br /><br />Regarding seeing the Martian clearly visible in the tripod, I guess we will have to wait and see.<br /><br />I do agree with you on the Album artwork though, it does sometimes look like a window and other times flesh. I think it looks better as flesh and that those big green things are infact eyes it makes for a more scary rendition.<br /><br /> Although if that were the case it would make the martian completely out of proportion as the tripods look to be insize fairly massive and this would mean that the martian inside would have to also be massive to completely fill it out, thus the phrase " Larger than a bear" would be all out of context, so I will have to say that it is probably glass and that they are behind it.<br /><br />YEAH YEAH YEAH talk to the heatray cause the tenticle aint listening... :P

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:39 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Loz+Feb 13 2005, 11:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loz @ Feb 13 2005, 11:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A huge metalic war machine, striding along on three legs, with the tenticale headed Martians pulling the leavers and hooting away to one another.[/quote]<br /><br />There's a thought. Maybe the invaders were the Martian equivalent of boy-racers, out on a cruise;<br /><br />"Hey boys, lets take the tripods out for a spin. We'll razz the cops, pick up Earth dames... we'll be the Martians from hell!"<br /><br /><br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:37 pm 
Martian War Lord

<br />yes I alawys thought that about the eyes. to big to be in context with the larger than a bear Martians. but on the last panel of the booklet in the album. The birds have eaten a big hole in one of the eyes. And red flesh is hanging out. Love that picture though. Joy riding Martians eh? Now I'm sure I've seen that somewhere before. Over to Tim burton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:28 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Loz+Feb 13 2005, 10:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loz @ Feb 13 2005, 10:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The Jeff Wayne artwork just has those green eyes, which sometimes appear to be window like and other times flesh.<br />[right][snapback]832[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />I take it you are talking about the 'Dead London' picture by Geoff Taylor?<br /><br />I've always assumed The green domes as a semi transparent leathery material (a window) and the crow is pulling the Martians flesh through it. :alien32:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yes, Dead London, I've thought about that too but I'm not sure. Lets face it artists make mistakes. When your a kid, and I was 8 when the album came out and to me then they were the Martian's eyes, and that was a creepy thing, but then you started to go, but they are to big, and then you read the book, and go hey we should see just about all of the Martian in the hood. And even in the dialogue in the album you get the idea that the Martians are visable, driving their Machines.<br />In the computer game images, they've added hexagon meshes to the eyes, which I think is meant clear up the fact that they are Windows or sensors of some sort.<br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:40 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Loz+Feb 15 2005, 12:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loz @ Feb 15 2005, 12:10 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yes, Dead London, I've thought about that too but I'm not sure. Lets face it artists make mistakes. When your a kid, and I was 8 when the album came out and to me then they were the Martian's eyes, and that was a creepy thing, but then you started to go, but they are to big, and then you read the book, and go hey we should see just about all of the Martian in the hood. And even in the dialogue in the album you get the idea that the Martians are visable, driving their Machines.<br />In the computer game images, they've added hexagon meshes to the eyes, which I think is meant clear up the fact that they are Windows or sensors of some sort.<br />[right][snapback]914[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I agree with this some what, so but I would like Mr Wayne to clarify this too us.<br /><br /> :alien32:

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:47 pm 
Martian War Lord

How do we get him to do that then? <!--QuoteBegin-Martian Myster The New Master+Feb 14 2005, 11:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martian Myster The New Master @ Feb 14 2005, 11:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I agree with this some what, so but I would like Mr Wayne to clarify this too us.<br /><br /> :alien32:<br />[right][snapback]924[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:20 pm 
Tripod King

well on the new CGI footage of the Tripod the hexagon mesh is gone again so its still not clarified but im pretty certain theyre windows

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:39 pm 

:smoking: <!--QuoteBegin-Loz+Feb 15 2005, 12:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loz @ Feb 15 2005, 12:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->How do we get him to do that then?<br />[right][snapback]927[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />A few members on the site know him apparently, but I was only jesting hoping he would read the thread himself, afterall appatrently Speilberg and Hines monitor these sites from time to time. :smoking:

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:23 pm 
Martian War Lord

Doh!!!! They have to be windows. I just remembered that in the PC game we get to see the Martians on Mars and when they come out of the Cylander. They have big brown eyes set apart and not Giant green ones set together.<br />Maybe they are a little more than windows on the Fighting Machines though and some sort of Biological extentsion of the Martian Eyes which they attach themselves to inside the Hoods. Hence the birds being able to eat into them. <br />Jeff, lose the hexagons and keep them fleshy. This adds to their fear factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:11 pm 
Tripod King

As far as illustrations go, there has been one that springs to mind that shows an open hood, the 1987 Pan edition:<br /><br />Image<br /><br />And a WotW fan, Craig York, built this model, which I think is well cool:<br /><br />Image<br /><br />Eeeeeeeviiiiillllll...!!!<br /><br />Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:47 am 
Martian War Lord

Cheers man. I'd seen the firts image on a book cover but hadn't spotted the Martian. I don't like the actual Machine though. Thanks a lot though. Its great to know a painter has had a go. As for the model it's great, I love the way the Martian is clearly driving it. Great eyes peering out from the dark. Its just missing some prehensile tenticals and a basket.Thanks again. Spot any more please post them here. And anyone else come on lets see some Martians in the Hood!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:08 pm 

I wonder if in any of the films that we will get to see a Martian 'climbing up into the 'hood' of one of the fighting machines.In one of the chapters(cant think which one off the top of my head)a fighting machine leg gets damaged off a cannon and falls over.In the chapter the Martian involved repairs the leg and the tripod gets back on its feet as to put it.Be interesting to see if Pendragon show this happening <_<

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:28 pm 
Martian War Lord

That would be great wouldn't it. In the book that Martians are stars right from the begining. One appears from the cylander and falls into the pit. It later catches a man who has also fallen in. Its not like a story where the monsters are held back to near the end. We see them right from the start. I hope they go along with this at Pendragon. <br />another thing I'm looking forward to is the camp that they bulid which the Journalist sees in Dead London. The Martian structures, the blood farms, and lines of dead Martians, which are of course unburied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:44 pm 

I've pictured myself many times standing on Primrose Hill looking down at the last Martian encampment in Regents park.As the writer says 'a vast space it was'.Yes,that is one shot in Pendragons film i'm really looking forward to!Those images in my minds eye give me goose bumps.Hang on...............I think all the images do,in fact i know it.Come on Pendragon....hurry up the bloody suspense is killing me :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:04 pm 
Martian War Lord

I'm with you on that. what a sight. I've seen some drawings and paintings of the doomed encampment over the years. The obvious one in the Jeff Wayne booklet but has anyone got any they can post here? Dead Martians, overturned machines, structures, stray dogs, birds, love to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:58 am 
Martian War Lord

[attachmentid=31]This is one of my favourites, it's by Frank R. Paul :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:04 am 
Tripod King

wow look how similar the fighting machines are to Mart Ian Tripe Odd's rendering:<br /><br />Image<br /><br />looks like our man got it right :D

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:03 am 

Yeah Leper,they do look good.I also like the way Well's describes some of the events after the fall of the Martians.The way that a fighting machine still stands on Primrose Hill and sunday excersionists go to see it and the perfectly preserved Martian in the natural history museam.His words seem to make you feel that they are still there today,like you could just 'hop' on a train or bus to go and see them.I rant on like mad over this book(as you all know).Its an very English story to me,personal to us all.This year(been saying that for years now ha ha)i plan on 'doing the route' myself.I feel a need(however sad that sounds)to stand in all the places Wells describes in the book just so i can picture the images in my minds eye with the help of the actual locations(must get out more ha ha)Mart Ian Tripe Odd Tripod to me looks more creepier than more 'robust' designs that ive seen but everyone has their own ideas dont they.I think Tim Hines said this that as far as his film goes and his ideas over the way the fighting machines look,that its not what looks scary to us,its what images would look scary to the victorians.I think thats a very relevent statement.Does H G Wells up there in Sci-Fi heaven have any idea the hasle he has caused.We will be fighting til doomsday over how the tripods exactly looked but i suppose thats half the fun isnt it???????? :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:54 am 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 23 2005, 12:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 23 2005, 12:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->[attachmentid=31]This is one of my favourites, it's by Frank R. Paul :)<br />[right][snapback]1261[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Great picture, Thanks for posting it. I used to have a Sci Fi book back in the seventies and that was a tiny picture in it and not as complete. I lost the book, and always wanted to see it again. So thanks The Martians are near perfect aren't they. They should have twice as many tenticals though. 16 not 8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:52 pm 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-The Curate+Feb 23 2005, 11:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Curate @ Feb 23 2005, 11:03 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This year(been saying that for years now ha ha)i plan on 'doing the route' myself.I feel a need(however sad that sounds)to stand in all the places Wells describes in the book just so i can picture the images in my minds eye with the help of the actual locations(must get out more ha ha)<br />[right][snapback]1276[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Horsell Common is a lot different now than it was at the time Wells wrote WOTW in fact so are most of the locations in the book so ive never felt compelled to go and look round the locations<br />

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:04 am 
Martian War Lord

I have a couple of book full of photos of London from the Victorian period, I use these for accuracy when doing a painting.<br />One of the book even has a map of Victorian London, showing where each photo is sited. very useful :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:51 am 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 24 2005, 01:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 24 2005, 01:04 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have a couple of book full of photos of London from the Victorian period, I use these for accuracy when doing a painting.<br />One of the book even has a map of Victorian London, showing where each photo is sited. very useful :)<br />[right][snapback]1323[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Did you paint your avatar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:23 am 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Loz+Feb 24 2005, 01:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loz @ Feb 24 2005, 01:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Did you paint your avatar?<br />[right][snapback]1325[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Thats actually a photo of the model of my design, with a crow on top :) [attachmentid=36]<br /><br />Sorry no open hood :(

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next