All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:31 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-curious+Feb 17 2005, 01:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(curious @ Feb 17 2005, 01:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->from what i've seen of  it, I doubt Pendragon will go very far.Not much in there that will appeal to the big crowd. And what they've put out so far has failed to impress me.  Sorry, just a personal opinion. Maybe i'll watch it some day. when it's out on DVD ;)<br />[right][snapback]1041[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Pendragon are doing the book.Fair enough,that doesn't mean that it will make the film a sensation.It could end up being a crap film but i doubt that very much.Mr Tim Hines has had the guts to do our much loved novel and translating it to the screen.In a way Mr Hines has taken on a far bigger undertaking than has a certain Mr Spielberg.Mr Spielberg is making a loose knit version of our book and to the majority of people who have read the book who 'liked' the concept of an alien invasion they will love his film.Spielberg will be a winner on this film whatever happens.Mr Hines on the other hand hasn't gone with the easy option of 'appealing to the masses',he seems to of aimed his adaptation directly at the fans of the original text.Mr Hines in my eyes,is the man who's 'out on a limb'.......and for that he's the one with the 'balls'.Youv'e got to admire the man for that.

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:16 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Feb 16 2005, 09:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Feb 16 2005, 09:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->No martians?  surely a lot of the terror,suspence and  believability of wotw comes from the close proximity of mars to earth and the ease with which the imagination can make the leap from science fiction to science fact.<br />I really dont think that changing that very vital ingredient to the story is a very good idea.<br />[right][snapback]1031[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well said GAvv8 <_<

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:36 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Gone for a BURTON+Feb 14 2005, 02:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gone for a BURTON @ Feb 14 2005, 02:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think that it would have been so much cooler if the aliens were martians. It could have really showed how up ourselves us earthlings are to assume there is no intelligent life on mars just because we've taken afew dust samples with robots. Wouldn't it be great to think and bloody scary also that there are martians hiding in caves and caverns on the surface of Mars. It could have made the movie a little closer to home after all that's what Well's was aiming for wasn't it? Furthermore one of the scariest WOTW moments ids the epilogue in Wayne's musical when NASA astronauts seemingly disappear. I remember listening to that in the car when I was small and not sleeping for weeks thinking that the Martians were still out there! <br />[right][snapback]892[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />That's what I've been sayong too! I was scared s**tless at the thought of Martians being able to jaunt to earth when I was a lad! I think it's safe to say we have a majority in this opinion. Motion carried. I'll get onto Spielberg.........<br /><br /> :alien5: <br />

"We've gone on holiday by mistake....."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:08 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-The Curate+Feb 17 2005, 10:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Curate @ Feb 17 2005, 10:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Pendragon are doing the book.Fair enough,that doesn't mean that it will make the film a sensation.It could end up being a crap film but i doubt that very much.Mr Tim Hines has had the guts to do our much loved novel and translating it to the screen.In a way Mr Hines has taken on a far bigger undertaking than has a certain Mr Spielberg.Mr Spielberg is making a loose knit version of our book and to the majority of people who have read the book who 'liked' the concept of an alien invasion they will love his film.Spielberg will be a winner on this film whatever happens.Mr Hines on the other hand hasn't gone with the easy option of 'appealing to the masses',he seems to of aimed his adaptation directly at the fans of the original text.Mr Hines in my eyes,is the man who's 'out on a limb'.......and for that he's the one with the 'balls'.Youv'e got to admire the man for that.<br />[right][snapback]1045[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />Sure, you could consider it brave, but is it wise? me thinks not. I think you would make a movie with the intention to have as many people watching it as possible. And I strongly doubt Pendragon will score very hight in that department.<br />Againm it's a personal opinion, but what I've seen from it so far, it has failed to impress me and certainly is not inviting me to go and watch the movie. <br />The trailer looked pretty, wel, let's just say it wasn't of the highest quality. They've been working on this pretty long, so I guess I just expected more.<br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:46 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Gone for a BURTON+Feb 14 2005, 02:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gone for a BURTON @ Feb 14 2005, 02:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just read my last post and just to make it clear I don't actually think there is life on Mars. I'm not 7 years old. Oh what the hell- there could be couldn't there?<br /><br /> :alien5:<br />[right][snapback]893[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /> <br />Couldn't there?<br /><br /><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&e=14&u=/space/exclusivenasaresearchersclaimevidenceofpresentlifeonmars' target='_blank'>Exclusive: NASA Researchers Claim Evidence of Present Life on Mars</a><br /><br />Cue Jeff Wayne's Cylinder/Heat Ray music:<br /><br />Dum dum dum dum, dum dum,<br />Dum dum dum dum, dum dum...<br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:48 pm 

Pendragon were first out of the blocks by a long way with wotw but as soon as the spielberg/cruise production became reality it was obvious that the british effort would be eclipsed because as you rightly say , the intention is to make a film which will be watched by as many people as possible and the smart money will back the biggest names in the business.<br />I am sure that the paramount version will be effects heavy with plenty of bangs for your buck and i am really looking forward to it but will it be the better movie and the story brought to life that we have all looked forward to for so long..that remains to be seen.

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:25 pm 
Martian War Lord

Pendragon may make a good job of the film but could they give us Wells' subtle underlying philosophy (I belive Leper said something similar in another thread) Wells points out how fragile civilization is. I think that is the back-bone of this book :alien32:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:51 am 
Tripod King

well, which company is taking the bigger risk on this film? Pendragon by a very long way. I respect the man who would take on the challenge of making the book for screen (read the book again, it is desperately unfriendly to the idea of turning it into a movie script, with all the little asides that youd have to show to make it make sense but yet you couldnt show them where they are in the book, I certainly couldn't have done it) and I respect the company that got behind it and invested in it, at the end of the day theyve produced something they are rightly proud of and theyve done it under the kosh of something with the clout of Paramount, Cruise and Speilberg with a fraction of their resources. "Bang For Your Buck" (which is a phrase I hate by the way) means nothing to me, I dont care about elaborate sequences of the destruction of cities, I care about the story. Worse special effects? so what? It was always going to be that way against ILM. I'll admit I was a little taken aback by the apparent low standard of the trailers special effects but I have confidence that that was not a finished shot and even if it was, its not the worst I've ever seen.<br /><br />Its not the first time I've seen something I like go up against Paramount either. Babylon 5 was a fine series that Paramount with their Star Trek franchise wanted gone in a big way. B5 too had "bad" special effects and it made not an iota of difference to the story. B5 finished its story when it wanted to despite the interest from Star Treks seat of power in shutting it down and now with War Of The Worlds I see Pendragon in a similar situation. I'm not sure how successful or not Pendragon will be outside existing WOTW fans, maybe it wont be at all but I do know I'm going to go and enjoy it and I will probably prefer it to Paramount's minimal risk, maximum gain effort which is sacrificing most of the story to please the masses. If the masses don't want the story then you know what Speilberg? Don't try and tell them a bastardized version, or if you have to at least don't call it The War Of The Worlds

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:18 am 

I applaud your words Leper :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:38 pm 

I don't like 'bang for your buck" either but it sums up the american way of doing things which is big budget, big effects and big promotion and its this steam roller way of doing things that will ensure a wider audience doesn't know about, care about or get to see the pendragon version which is a damn shame especially if the pendragon film is the better effort which i suspect it will be.<br />The more i hear and see about the paramount version the further it seems to move away from the original story and for that i am truly sad but its cruise/spielberg and its american and it was never going to be any other way, thank god for pendragon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:59 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Feb 18 2005, 05:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Feb 18 2005, 05:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The more i hear and see about the paramount version the further it seems to move away from the original story and for that i am truly sad but its cruise/spielberg and its american and it was never going to be any other way, thank god for pendragon.<br />[right][snapback]1125[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />The more I hear and see of the Cruise/Spielberg Movie the more excited and eager to see this movie I get.<br />I don't know, maybe it's just my youthfull enthusiasm. Or maybe it's just because I practically gre up with Spielberg movies and loved almost all of them ;) <br />Don't blame me, it's just the way I am...... :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:37 pm 

I am excited no i'm sad no i'm excited, oh i don't know what i am, i'm just glad we've got some movies at all and anyway as i've said all along, i'm looking forward to the jeff wayne version most of all .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:02 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-curious+Feb 18 2005, 07:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(curious @ Feb 18 2005, 07:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The more I hear and see of the Cruise/Spielberg Movie the more excited and eager to see this movie I get.<br />I don't  know, maybe it's just my youthfull enthusiasm. Or maybe it's just because I practically gre up with Spielberg movies and loved almost all of them  ;)  <br />Don't blame me, it's just the way I am......  :D<br />[right][snapback]1134[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Yes agreed, Spielberg and his movies and Lucas for that mater saved the movie industry when it was in a bit of a decline. they got bums on seats again.<br /><br />What realy annoyed me was Spielberg and his movies recived little or no recognition from the award ceremonys for years, then suddenly one year they heaped academy awards and oscars on him as if they suddenly rememberd his contributions. It showed the award ceremonys are a farce. <_<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:00 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 18 2005, 10:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 18 2005, 10:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yes agreed, Spielberg and his movies and Lucas for that mater saved the movie industry when it was in a bit of a decline. they got bums on seats again.<br /><br />What realy annoyed me was Spielberg and his movies recived little or no recognition from the award ceremonys for years, then suddenly one year they heaped academy awards and oscars on him as if they suddenly rememberd his contributions. It showed the award ceremonys are a farce. <_<<br />[right][snapback]1142[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I think that's a very good point. But, would they have continued to ignore Spielberg after 'schinderler's list'they would have made an even bigger joke out of themselves than they already were. Gotta credit them for atleast seeing that :D <br /><br />But hearing the 'negotiations'going on this year, "if we give this guy the oscar for best movie, we should give that guy the oscar for best director'.... <_< and lobbyist groups publicly stating (conservative right to get back at the "anti Bush clan in Hollywood") they will do all they can to influence the outcome....<br />It's becoming more and more about politics and whether or not you support the 'right' guy, than about the movie -_- <br /><br />Although I doubt they will have enough power to actually influence anything.....I certainly HOPE they don't....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:30 am 
Martian War Lord

Well they certainly don't represent what the general public think. <_< <br /><br />I know its suposed to be what the industry thinks of a film, a director, a screen play writer, a producer and the like, but why is it so at odds with what the public think. if its all down to politics what is the point of these award ceremonys ? :angry:<br /><br />You look at the back of a DVD box and it says "winner of three academy awards" and you think, so what?<br /><br />It used to meen something once. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:51 am 

Well well well........Just thought i'd mention that there is a new spielberg film out in the summer.Its a kind of 'Alien thingy film'.Me personally..........Well i'm off to see H G Wells The War of the Worlds.(sarcasm,surely not) :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:45 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-The Curate+Feb 21 2005, 09:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Curate @ Feb 21 2005, 09:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well well well........Just thought i'd mention that there is a new spielberg film out in the summer.Its a kind of 'Alien thingy film'.Me personally..........Well i'm off to see H G Wells The War of the Worlds.(sarcasm,surely not) :D<br />[right][snapback]1178[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, since you're at it, why not mention there's a small effort coming up called 'pendragon'. <br />They could use the advertisement since I hardly see it mentioned anywhere :D ;) <br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:42 pm 
Tripod King

either curious is a plant by Paramount, which i seriously doubt or he is actually mocking Pendragon who as ive said elsewhere have taken far more risks to produce something credible than Speilbergs play it safe action movie, sacrificing vast chunks of the story to make something nice and moneyspinning but thin on the actual story. Or he is just hypnotised by big explosions on a screen in which case i shall post an animation of an explosion to distract him from his counter arguments.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:31 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 21 2005, 05:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 21 2005, 05:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->either curious is a plant by Paramount[right][snapback]1189[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Unfortunately I strongly doubt they need one :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:38 pm 
Tripod King

how do you mean "unfortunately"?

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

:o So you think anyone with an opinion that differs from yours must be a plant for Paramount, :D does that mean you are a plant for Pendragon? :P <br /><br />Peronaly I wait till I've seen the films till I comment. B)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:19 am 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 21 2005, 05:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 21 2005, 05:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->either curious is a plant by Paramount, which i seriously doubt <br />[right][snapback]1189[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />i wasnt seriously suggesting it as my original post said as for some reason i have to reiterate now<br />

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:43 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 21 2005, 09:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 21 2005, 09:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how do you mean "unfortunately"?<br />[right][snapback]1198[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />I said unfortunatly because I wouldn't mind working for Paramount :P <br />But like I said, I doubt this movie need i 'plant'selling it :D <br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:10 am 
Tripod King

no indeed not, thousands will go with the words "the special effects look really good" alone. Lets face it even im going to see it, i can hardly spend so much time arguing against it and not see the finished product

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:24 pm 

Not out to upset anyone but 5% of us are into The War of the Worlds by a Mr Wells and the other 95% like to 'join in'. <_<

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next