All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:43 pm 
Martian War Lord

This weeks poll on Sci Fi Wire<br /><br />The results are as of 13:42 (GMT) 15/02/04<br /><br />You can still vote, click here <a href='http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=30383' target='_blank'>scifi.com</a><br /><br />Image

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:06 pm 

The Curate read the above poll and noticed H G Wells behind Orsen Welles.Stuggleling to come to terms with this,the Curate( while whipping himself with a dead fish) ran into his church and flung himself upon the altar begging God to put a stop to this anarchy.............. :lol:

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:12 pm 
Tripod King

radio broadcast is the most well known in america where i suspect a lot of the votes are coming from though. The radio broadcast, though very good, was not an especially... coherant telling of the story, so i would say that is fame coming into play

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:43 pm 

OMG: :o That is ridiculous, the play wouldn't of existed without the book. It amazes me the interlect of some people. :lol:

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:48 pm 
Advanced Member

I just think it's funny that Spielberg bagged 8% of the vote and no-one's even seen his version yet. Brand loyalty I suppose...<br /><br />Also, the Jeff Wayne album and forthcoming Pendragon film are conspicuous by their absense (if Spielberg's unfinished film rates a place on the poll, why not Hines?).<br /><br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:18 am 
Martian War Lord

That is a travesty :angry: <br /><br />Consider yourself lucky that Wells is on the board :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:51 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Martian Myster The New Master+Feb 15 2005, 04:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martian Myster The New Master @ Feb 15 2005, 04:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->OMG:  :o  That is ridiculous, the play wouldn't of existed without the book. It amazes me the interlect of some people. :lol:<br />[right][snapback]968[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I guess you can place that in the same categorie of people bashing movies that haven't even been released yet :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:07 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-curious+Feb 17 2005, 01:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(curious @ Feb 17 2005, 01:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I guess you can place that in the same categorie of people bashing movies that haven't even been released yet :D<br />[right][snapback]1042[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> :D I agree that people should not 'bash' movies that have yet to be released.I have 'bashed' Mr Spielberg over his up and coming WOTW installment,not because i think it will be a crap film,on the contary,i believe it will be very entertaining.I've 'bashed' him because he aint doing the book......! -_-

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:28 am 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-curious+Feb 17 2005, 01:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(curious @ Feb 17 2005, 01:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I guess you can place that in the same categorie of people bashing movies that haven't even been released yet :D<br />[right][snapback]1042[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />aha! fresh blood for the pro-paramount position! well the argument of bashing movies before they are released etc is of course a good one, but then again it is possible to draw certain arguments against the paramount version based on stuff that has been released about it: e.g. the aliens are not martians, the invention of Dakota Fannings character, the absence of other characters, the even slight possibility of an altered ending, wild departures from the original story etc<br />

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:01 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 17 2005, 11:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 17 2005, 11:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->aha! fresh blood for the pro-paramount position! well the argument of bashing movies before they are released etc is of course a good one, but then again it is possible to draw certain arguments against the paramount version based on stuff that has been released about it: e.g. the aliens are not martians, the invention of Dakota Fannings character, the absence of other characters, the even slight possibility of an altered ending, wild departures from the original story etc<br />[right][snapback]1051[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />There are those who call that "creativity" and usually that is considered the mark of e great movie maker.B)<br /><br />I do know there are who love to bash Spielberg no matter what he would do with this movie. But hey, since he's not bothered about it, why should I ;) <br />The numbers will speak for themselves :smoking:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:55 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-curious+Feb 17 2005, 01:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(curious @ Feb 17 2005, 01:51 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I guess you can place that in the same categorie of people bashing movies that haven't even been released yet :D<br />[right][snapback]1042[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />I had begun to think I was the only one who thought that. :D <br /><br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:00 am 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-curious+Feb 17 2005, 04:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(curious @ Feb 17 2005, 04:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->There are those who call that "creativity"  and usually that is considered the mark of e great movie maker.B)<br /><br />I do know there are who love to bash Spielberg no matter what he would do with this movie. But hey, since he's not bothered about it, why should I ;) <br />The numbers will speak for themselves :smoking:<br />[right][snapback]1056[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Indeed but then again Speilberg isnt telling his own story here, he's telling somebody elses and while there's certainly room for adaptation theres certainly no room for out and out invention or removal of area of the story

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:28 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 18 2005, 01:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 18 2005, 01:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->theres certainly no room for out and out invention or removal of area of the story<br />[right][snapback]1089[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> :rolleyes: Because?<br />I've seen the very same thing happen with many, many original stories.<br />I really don't see why this should be any different

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:41 am 

CURIOUS!.....You use the word 'because'.This may not be a valid argument but out of common decency film makers i believe should not 'pull apart' writers offerings.From the sound of Mr Spielbergs version so far,its going to be so far removed from the original that it will be only War of the Worlds in name.The actual title War of the Worlds is the name of a novel.I must admit,it makes me 'cringe' at times the way that title is loosely banded around.Also,H G Wells is the father of Sci-Fi in many peoples eyes and with all the sci-fi film offerings over the years,the one writer who's text should never be pulled apart or bastardized is his,out of common decency at least <_<

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:40 pm 

Wtf? Orson Welles better than HG Wells? LOL! HG Wells made the book, and he didnt like Orson Welles version either.<br /><br />HG Wells forever!<br /><br />Damn, his Zombie gotta raise some day and destroy every bastardized version... Please do so Wells! :(<br /><br />Curious, see it this way; I, Robot was entertaining and somewhat good, but using that title makes me wanna puke. Its theft of names and everyone doing so should be put to the sword by their family. If they do not do so, the entire family and all its relatives should be put to the sword. :D <br />(The lost law of moses)<br /><br />Okay its a little rough, but thats Moses in a nutshell, brash and straight to the point! :)<br /><br />By my opinion (not Moses) is that the most amounts of changes is the amount Peter Jacksson did. Any above that, kapish- head chopped by our friendly companion Moses.

How to make a tripod:
1. Take a small wooden toy wheel (cheap in hobby stores)
2. Take three nails.
3. Figure the rest out yourself.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:46 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-The Curate+Feb 18 2005, 09:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Curate @ Feb 18 2005, 09:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->CURIOUS!.....You use the word 'because'.This may not be a valid argument but out of common decency film makers i believe should not 'pull apart' writers offerings.From the sound of Mr Spielbergs version so far,its going to be so far removed from the original that it will be only War of the Worlds in name.The actual title War of the Worlds is the name of a novel.I must admit,it makes me 'cringe' at times the way that title is loosely banded around.Also,H G Wells is the father of Sci-Fi in many peoples eyes and with all the sci-fi film offerings over the years,the one writer who's text should never be pulled apart or bastardized is his,out of common decency at least <_<<br />[right][snapback]1095[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, I still don't see what the big deal is all about. I've seen so many books, altered held upside down and all (some were even changed for the better by it ;) ) I can't get up in arms about this.<br />Still, I don't think we will ever agree on this sunject (life would be boring of we always agreed :P ) so, let's just agree just disagree? B)<br /><br />Oh, by the way, I used the word "because"? because ;) I often get a slur of reasoning from people why they are saying what they are saying B)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:34 pm 
Martian War Lord

The main problem is the world is divided into two groups the film goers and the book readers and never the twain should meet. :P <br />Its just that Spielberg makes a living out of films, and he's seems to be doing OK out of it. I'm sure he doesn't care what the book readers think and why should he :D <br />I'm sure he will be happy to please the majority rather than the minority as I'm sure the Pendragon film will please the minority rather than the majority<br />You can stick to you principles all you like, but at the end of the day it's all about money. :P <br />I wish them both good luck :alien32:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:07 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Lonesome Crow+Feb 18 2005, 10:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lonesome Crow @ Feb 18 2005, 10:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The main problem is the world is divided into two groups the film goers and the book readers and never the twain should meet. :P <br />[right][snapback]1143[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> :D Yes, I'll confess, I'm an absolute movie junkie and (I'm ducking now :lol:) not a very big reader.<br />But Aren't we the ones being called 'popcorn'generation as well?. I know it's enough to drive me dad the wall at times :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:32 pm 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-curious+Feb 18 2005, 01:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(curious @ Feb 18 2005, 01:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->:rolleyes: Because?<br />I've seen the very same thing happen with many, many original stories.<br />I really don't see why this should be any different<br />[right][snapback]1091[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />you should know Curious that in the history of this forum, I have put people to the sword for less than that :D<br /><br />but since you ask, invention of parts of the story or removal of parts of the story means, stunningly enough youre not telling the story. Theres room for all the adaptation in the world but you lose some serious points by putting in things like say, Dakota Fanning (probably a very nice child but she embodies a lot of what is wrong with this film) If Speilberg wants to change the story and just leave a few bits in he should do what Independance Day did - give his story another title, because otherwise he's taking a legendary writers work and calling it his own.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:24 am 
Martian War Lord

:o Oh come off it, if you saw a film with tripods, heat-rays, aliens(note: I didn't call them martians) and many of the scenes similar to the good book, but not called WOTW. I sure we would hear from you, saying "how dare he steal Wells' story and not have the decency to call it WOTW" Be honest now :D<br /><br />Leper put that sword down :unsure:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:32 am 
Tripod King

indeed i would call it a rip off but i wouldnt say it was WOTW<br /><br />*keeps sword drawn*<br /><br />hmm i should name the sword. any ideas?

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:35 am 
Martian War Lord

VENGEANCE :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:23 am 
Tripod King

hmmm doesnt have the right ring to it.... :P

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:06 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 21 2005, 01:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 21 2005, 01:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->hmmm doesnt have the right ring to it.... :P<br />[right][snapback]1176[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />Ok, :huh: how about The Sword 'Incessant Whinger', sounds good to me. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:17 am 
Tripod King

yeah, thatll do.... i think not on second thoughts, this needs more thought

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next