All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:02 pm 
Martian War Lord

Just reading this article at <a href='http://www.lnreview.co.uk/music/004952.php' target='_blank'>London News Review</a> website <br /><br />Image

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:06 pm 
Martian War Lord

Tough call on which is the scariest. The Wayne Burton one is better than Parramounts, mostly because we can here the Burton delivery in our memory banks. But H. G.s one is the guvner!<br /><br />

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:50 pm 

It has to be the jeff wayne version for me, it still sends shivers down my spine 20 years after i first heard it.

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:00 pm 
Tripod King

It's got to be the original, HG's.<br /><br />Of course, Burton's ominous voice growling Wayne's edited version is superb, but it has always irritated me that Wayne altered the most chilling lines:<br /><br />'No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own... Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes...'<br /><br />Those lines are sheer poetry, but are rendered somewhat pedestrian by Wayne, presumably because he thought them too difficult, or some such nonsense. Fair play to the man for what he did with the record, I'm not knocking him - I just wish he'd trusted more to HG's sheer genius with a phrase.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:26 pm 
Tripod King

At a tangent, the reviewer who reproduced those quotes somewhat cryptically writes at the end of his piece: 'Finally, can anyone confirm or deny the story that Richard Burton was banned from the BBC after criticising the British plan to effect genocide on the Japanese?'<br /><br />So, fascinatingly (to me anyway) I found the following on t'internet concerning Dickie Burton and the Beeb:<br /><br />'Burton was banned permanently from BBC productions in 1974 for questioning the sanity of Winston Churchill and others in power during World War II -- Burton reported hating them "virulently" for the alleged promise to wipe out all Japanese people on the planet.'<br /><br />'When Richard Burton, playing Churchill in a BBC production, wrote an article branding the wartime leader "a power-corrupted warmonger", [Shaun] Sutton [a BBC bod] promptly declared that Burton would never work for his section of the BBC again.'<br /><br />The actor Richard Burton once wrote an article for the New York Times about his experience playing the role of Winston Churchill in a television drama: <br />'...in the course of preparing myself..... I realized afresh that I hate Winston Churchill and all of his kind. I hate them virulently. They have stalked down the corridors of endless power all through history..... what man of sanity would say on hearing of the atrocities committed by the Japanese against British and Anzac prisoners of war, "we shall wipe them out, every one of them, men, women, and children. There shall not be a Japanese left on the face of the earth"? Such simpleminded cravings for revenge leave me with a horrified but reluctant awe for such single-minded and merciless ferocity.'<br /><br />What a bloke.<br /><br />Needless to say, I've emailed 'em to the reviewer chappy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:42 pm 

Wild stuff! If Churchill did say those things, it's pretty reprehensible. (I can't imagine the same thing being said then about the caucasian Germans.)<br /><br />I've never gotten to hear Burton's reading of the Jeff Wayne adaptation. As a kid I do remember getting chills from the version in the Carl Sagan's COSMOS episode "Blues For A Red Planet." I remember they played Holstz's "Mars" in the background and cut to closeups of what appeared to be a fish's eye darting around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:05 pm 

Thunder Child wrote:
I've never gotten to hear Burton's reading of the Jeff Wayne adaptation.  As a kid I do remember getting chills from the version in the Carl Sagan's COSMOS episode "Blues For A Red Planet."  I remember they played Holstz's "Mars" in the background and cut to closeups of what appeared to be a fish's eye darting around.

Your joking..beg, borrow or steal it (ok don't steal it) and listen, it is a masterpiece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:53 pm 
Tripod King

Thunder Child wrote:
Wild stuff!  If Churchill did say those things, it's pretty reprehensible.  (I can't imagine the same thing being said then about the caucasian Germans.) I've never gotten to hear Burton's reading of the Jeff Wayne adaptation.  As a kid I do remember getting chills from the version in the Carl Sagan's COSMOS episode "Blues For A Red Planet."  I remember they played Holstz's "Mars" in the background and cut to closeups of what appeared to be a fish's eye darting around

I've tried to find a reference to Churchill saying that (only on the net for now) but to no avail so far...Burton's narration - you MUST get it!

I love the WotW intro to 'Blues for a Red Planet' (I'm a massive Cosmos fan anyway). I thought the fish eye, darting about restlessly, combined with the antique brass microscpe and slides of earth, made a very effective sequence. I loved the Lowellian ruined Martian cities and dried up canals as well... And Holst, what a geezer!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:50 pm 

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>MCTODD</span><br />I love your avitar Do you have somthing against Thomas the Tank engine?<br />My son a 3yr old broke down when he saw that, I sent him out of the room <br />and then laughed my @ss off. <br />Did you do that or is that something out on the web?<br /><br />by the way what are you talking about at the bottom paragraph? <br />blues for a red planet, is that a movie that is already circulating?<br />please advise

<a href='http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/other/jefwood.jpg' target='_blank'>http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/other/jefwood.jpg</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:46 pm 
Tripod King

Why aye, Dropkicker!<br /><br />I hope I don't get arrested for Making A Small Child Cry...!<br /><br />Glad you like the avatar, it's a quick Photoshop job I did (flipped Thomas but forgot to flip the number, so it's back to front, d'oh!) to take the pi*ss out of Pendragon, oddly enough (you know, an 'Exclusive! SFX images from Pendragon!')... It uses a fab Arcane gaming mag pic from years ago (bought solely for the Martian tripod) and a random Thomas pic.<br /><br />The Arcane mag pic I sent to Dr Zeus, here:<br /><br />Image<br /><br />And the full size Thomas Meets the Martians is here:<br /><br />Image<br /><br />'Blues for a Red Planet' was an episode of Carl Sagan's epic 13-part documentary 'Cosmos', made around 25 years ago - you can get it on DVD now (which I have, I had to!). It was a fantastic series about, well, Life, The Universe, and Everything, I suppose... As a kid I used to watch it every week when I got home from school.<br /><br />Aaaaaanyhoo, 'Blues for a Red Planet' was an episode all about Mars in fact and fiction, and it opens with a description of Percival Lowell's work, when he 'found' canals on Mars in the 1890s, then we get the opening of WotW narrated over these fab images of a microscope really close up, a drop of water on a slide, an mysterious inhuman eye (most likely a fish eye) darting about, and images of earth seen through a telescope, along with a Victorian country fair... Very atmospheric. Then it segues into a sequence shot with models of ruined cities on Mars and dried up canals, as Percival Lowell and H G may have imagined them.<br /><br />Stirring stuff!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:50 pm 
Martian War Lord

dropkicker wrote:
MCTODD I love your avitar Do you have somthing against Thomas the Tank engine? My son a 3yr old broke down when he saw that, I sent him out of the room and then laughed my @ss off. Did you do that or is that something out on the web? by the way what are you talking about at the bottom paragraph? blues for a red planet, is that a movie that is already circulating? please advise

If I remember correctly 'blues for a red planet', is an episode from the late Carl Sagans 1981 PBS TV series 'Cosmos', a great show, with some great music, like Vivaldi, Shostakovich, Stravinsky and modern stuff like Vangelis (well it was modern then). I wish they'd show them again :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:54 pm 
Martian War Lord

oops that will teach me to jump the gun, I should read the end of a thread before posting.<br /><br />SORRY :blush:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:46 pm 
Tripod King

Mwah hah ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa....!!!!<br /><br />McTodd strikes again, with his lightning-quick reflexes!<br /><br />Or summat like that...<br /><br />Get it on DVD - you know it makes sense...<br /><br />Actually, a thought occurs to me...<br /><br />I have three Cosmos VHS tapes (urgh, ptooey), half the series (I was dead broke at the time - how times haven't changed!), and was buying it one tape at a time (there were 6) and they bl**dy well deleted it before I'd finished! Anyhoo, I have the tape with the 'Blues for a Red Planet'. Whoever wants it can have it. For nowt (after all, what's the point of having 1, or even 3, of a 6-tape set?).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:17 pm 

Okay, I finally got ahold of a copy of the musical. The narration's fine, but it kind of loses the moment when the music kicks in. I mean, it's fun in a 70's kind of way, but I keep having visions of Martians attacking roller discos and customized vans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:53 pm 
Advanced Member

id have to say it is between Wells' and Wayne's. i like them both but i think the original takes it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:58 pm 

Thunder Child wrote:
Okay, I finally got ahold of a copy of the musical.  The narration's fine, but it kind of loses the moment when the music kicks in.  I mean, it's fun in a 70's kind of way, but I keep having visions of Martians attacking roller discos and customized vans.

Are you avin a larf!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:30 pm 
Martian War Lord

Are you disin' Jeff's WOTW....... We'll av'ta send the boyz round :P :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:40 pm 
Martian War Lord

No flares on Jeff's Tripod legs mate. And that's a heatray not a medalion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:32 pm 

Thunder Child wrote:
Okay, I finally got ahold of a copy of the musical.  The narration's fine, but it kind of loses the moment when the music kicks in.  I mean, it's fun in a 70's kind of way, but I keep having visions of Martians attacking roller discos and customized vans.

Seriously, I dont even get the feeling of the 70's. Just a big tripod killing victorians. Book is scariest when in the right mode- a stormy and rainy night, best place is of course the middle of london...Music is good all-time :)Film... Well, lets see. Probably that unshakable feeling of hollywood. Brings it down, like said, dont see the american retelling of "The Ring" and "The Grudge", see the japanese originals. No hollywood atmosphere, simply good.

How to make a tripod:
1. Take a small wooden toy wheel (cheap in hobby stores)
2. Take three nails.
3. Figure the rest out yourself.

Pretty crazy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:10 am 

McTodd wrote:
It's got to be the original, HG's. Those lines are sheer poetry, but are rendered somewhat pedestrian by Wayne, presumably because he thought them too difficult, or some such nonsense. Fair play to the man for what he did with the record, I'm not knocking him - I just wish he'd trusted more to HG's sheer genius with a phrase.

I agree McTodd those lines are pure genius. But for me the most terrifying part of Wayne's adaptation is his shortened version followed by 'BAH-BAH-BAH'. I may cause a bit of controversy for saying this but as somebody who heard the musical before reading the book, the text didn't do it for me the way Wayne's intro did. Don't get me wrong, the book is the best thing I've ever read but for sheer impact on all senses you've got to give to Mr Wayne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:35 pm 
Tripod King

I suspect it depends to a great extent on which version you encountered first - for me it was the book, for others the album.<br /><br />It's probably like the old 'Which one's your favourite Doctor Who?' It's generally whichever one was on when you started watching (in my case Tom Baker - but then it must be said that he is objectively the definitive Doctor Who :smoking: ).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:21 pm 
Martian War Lord

My Dad watched Doctor Who right from the begining as did my older brother and they both like Tom Baker best. I started watching it when Pertwee was the Doc and I like Toma baker best.<br /><br />As for the album it the version Jeff came up with works the best for that medium. And an atmosphere is created by the silence surrounding Burtons voice. But the book is sheer poetry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:42 pm 

I had a feeling my opinions on the Jeff Wayne album would be a bit controversial. The best I can say is that maybe I'd have a different relationship to it had I first encountered it back in 1978 instead of just now. (27 years later.) To my ears, the intrumentation is VERY late 70's, sometimes reminiscent of ABBA or early Chris Deburgh records, so it conjures up a definite retro-ishness. (Imagine if it had come out in the 80's with scratches and drum machines.) It's fun in a period kind of way though. The "Ulla"s are cool, even if it's pronounced differently than I always imagined it. (I always interpreted it as "Ull-Ah")<br /><br />If I have one big complaint, it's all that peppy pipe/flute music that turns up from time to time. It really sounds more like the soundtrack to a vacation in South America than an invasion of Victorian England.<br /><br />What do people think of the new Doctor Who? (Just caught the first episode on Canadian TV)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:39 pm 
Tripod King

Actually TC, I can see where you're coming from. I'm old enough to have encountered the JW album first time round, and whilst there are some magnificent aspects to it (primarily Burton), and some great music, it has to be said that there are also far too many 1970s prog-rock overtones (which is understandable, given when it was made).<br /><br />It was great at the time, and still is to an extent, but its main value lies in the way that it introduced WotW to a far wider audience than would otherwise have been the case.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:05 pm 
Martian War Lord

Thunder Child wrote:
What do people think of the new Doctor Who? (Just caught the first episode on Canadian TV)

I'm a big fan of the 60's and 70's doctor who and very early 80's but this new stuff is just wrong. Christopher Eccleston playing him northern accent and being in leather jacket and jeans grates on me. the first episode was like fast food, but episode 2 was pretty good stuff. looking forward to the two Dalek stories and seeing the new evolved Dalek machines.

The Tardis is good. Eccleston is quitting after this series so hopefully the tenth Doctor will suit the part more.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next