Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 10 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Your Adaptation of War of the Worlds
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:49 pm 

If you were to do a movie adaptation of WotW would you do the film closer to the book or would you do a modern adaptation of it? I still thinking about mine. The year I am thinking about setting it in would either 1906 or the 1940's(1946, the year H.G. Wells died or 1947, a refrence to the crash at Roswell). Also what would the Tripods and Martians in your version look like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:07 pm 
Martian War Lord

Wow, I need some time to figure that out. But in any case I would focus on the battles, and not quite the emotional stuff (where Spielberg went wrong in the scenes with that Ogilvy character). I would certainly have both the Heat Ray ánd the Black Smoke in it.

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:29 pm 
Tripod King

There's no question in my mind. I would do a movie version of the original turn-of-the-century novel and be faithful to the book. In short, do everything right that Pendragon didn't, if only so that more filmmakers would be faithful to the written word when they base movies on other novels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:52 am 

In terms of the year my adaptation takes place I think 1906 is somewhat closer to the year in the book and the 1946 would be somewhat of a controversial choice because it would then be set after WWII and my adaptation has several cylinders landing in different countries and when the Martians' rampage begins to worsen in countries around the world especially America and England and the people begin to ignore their governments and they riot. I just don't want to offend anyone. :( Anyway, I'll have more stuff about the characters and the Tripod descriptions soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:55 am 

Anyway, my version of the Tripods have the ability to fly using electro magnetic propulsion and the legs are retractable. The head of the fighting machine has the "hat" from the Correa design and the tentacles are stronger and can slice a plane in half. The heat ray is shaped like a satellite dish but with a mirror surface and another death ray used to vaporize people. The tripod is also equipped with a cage-like basket and a bozooka gun that fire the black smoke. Another thing about the description, I know I mentioned something about the "hat" from the Correa design but the eyes resemble the ones from the Jeff Wayne tripod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:17 pm 
Tripod King

I want some opinions on this idea for redoing the "Thunder Child" battle. Do you think we should just show the battleship/ironclad/whatever-it-is steaming at the Fighting-Machines, as it is in the novel, or add to the movie's cast by showing the captain and his officers on the bridge, barking out orders to the crew as they close in, the gunners manning the hydraulic lifts to load the cannons, etc.?

At first we see the ship and its crew at ease in harbor, having been detailed by the commander of the Channel Fleet to oversea the evacuation of London by sea. When the Martian Fighting-Machines appear, everyone goes to action stations, and the Thunder Child begins her death ride.

Captain: "Five points to port!"

Helmsman: "Five points to port!"

The Thunder Child closes in on the three Fighting-Machines, while the damnfool Martians waste precious time trying to figure out whether the ship is a threat.

Captain: "Load all guns, but hold your fire until I give the word! Make every shell count!" (A chorus of "Aye-ayes" in the background.)

One Fighting-Machine wises up or loses its nerve and discharges a canister of Black Smoke at the ship. It glances off harmlessly, and the ship speeds through the cloud of poison gas long before it can hurt anyone.

When Thunder Child is so close that she literally can't miss, the Captain gives the word:

"Shoot!"

The closest Fighting-Machine takes a salvo right in the cockpit, splattering the pilot to Hell and back. As it collapses, the other two hastily retreat, firing their Heat-Rays as they do so. We see sailors on the open deck promptly incinerated as this happens.

Thunder Child is hit, but not yet fatally. She's on fire, and there are scenes of sailors below decks coughing in the clouds of smoke while trying to fight the fires.

Captain (coughing from clouds of smoke on the bridge): Four points to port! All engines full speed! Shoot!"

Because the second tripod is moving, the shells only strike glancing blows this time, but that's enough to cripple it and let the stricken Thunder Child catch up to it. As it does so, the two remaining Martians hit it again with their Heat-Rays, finally scoring on a magazine.

Captain (still coughing): "All hands brace for collision! All hands br---" the bridge disappears in a sudden burst of fire, as the Thunder Child blows up. Because she is so close, the flaming hulk slams into the second Fighting-Machine and brings it down. All that can now be seen is a mass of smoke and boiling-hot water, with lashing metallic tentacles and ship's debris---and dead bodies---seen here and there. When the smoke clears and the waters calm down, there is nothing left of either side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:48 am 
Martian War Lord

Now that's an awesome description! :D =D>

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:31 pm 
Martian War Lord

I'd like to see that Alland. It would be the way to do it. You could have some breif talk from the crew about the martians and how they are going to waste them should they appear.

I suppose if I was writing it, I'd also consider a second steamer, packed with people that the Martians manage to destroy, before taking on the Thunder Child. This could be the reason it gets so close, because they are busy with it.
As a writer I would want to keep things close to the book but at the same time embelish certain scenes.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:21 pm 
Tripod King

I wouldn't do it that way because 1) it didn't happen that way in the book, and 2) having a mass of civilians slaughtered takes away from the main point of the scene: the Thunder Child dying heroically to prevent any innocent deaths at the hands of the Martians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:30 pm 
Martian War Lord

Fair does. But if I'm going to make a film, even of something I love, like WOTW then I'm going to tinker with it. I'm an artist, and I'd want to bring my own things to the story. Which as a book is perfect, but will not translate exactly into a film, very well. They are different mediums.
But on reflection I think that you are right about that particular scene, the point is that they save the civilians and die in the process.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 10 posts ]