View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 25 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:14 pm 
Advanced Member

Nothing too earth-shattering here (no pun intended, I think), but a nice bit on the upcoming rerelease of the album in 5.1 Surround Sound! It will actually be timed to coincide with the Paramount movie release. This may drive some of you a bit nuts (*COUGH*curate*COUGH*leper), but hey, if the movie helps more people discover the album, that might lead more people to give the book a read!<br /><br />Anyway, here's the story:<br /><br /> :aliean: <a href='http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=14158634' target='_blank'>SonyBMG Music Europe To Release War of the Worlds In SACD Surround Sound This Summer</a> :aliean:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:03 am 
Tripod King

dont lump me in with Curate, he's a bit mad and irrational :D<br /><br />Pendragon are also timing their DVD release with the release of Paramounts movie so the albums not the only thing hoping to ride the hype. If the other, superior, tellings of the story benefit from the promotion of Paramount's production thats no bad thing, but in and of itself the Paramount version is unlikely to drive people toward a story about Victorian England.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:44 pm 

Hi All I can't wait for this new release box set etc but will the surround format be supported on all types of dvd players? i.e. reading about the re-release it's going to be recorded in SACD 5.1 now im sure not all dvd players support this (probably only certain Sonyunits ) are we going to get various options i.e. DTS audio version or good old Stereo CD version or what!!!. Im not fully up on this audio standard so i could be talking complete TRIPE but if someone could explain id be grateful. :alien4:<br />Ok looking at the forum there is a little bit about SACD so it does look like dedicated Audio/DVD players, now most people own a DVD player will there be a DTS audio version available?, I have a Jean Michael Jarre album in this format and it is stunning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:48 pm 
Tripod King

That would be the AERO album that Jean Michel released in September last year, and a damn fine album at that as its in 5.1 DTS.<br /><br />To get the FULL experience on the Jeff Wayne SACD, its best played on a SACD unit, but if you have a 5.1 unit then its OK, it just wont have the anolouge sounds broken down to the extent that the SACD unit plays back.

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:52 am 

That's good enough for me I'll be buying the new box set then :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:56 pm 
Martian War Lord

Lets hope it has some new artwork.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:59 pm 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-Loz+Mar 2 2005, 07:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loz @ Mar 2 2005, 07:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Lets hope it has some new artwork.<br />[right][snapback]1658[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Really there is no need to change the artwork or add new artwork. People recognise the logo and the artwork cover for the 78 album, and thats one of the key factors of drawing the 'punter' towards the item from a distance.<br />

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:15 pm 
Martian War Lord

I meant additional artwork with the same designs. just some new scenes and pencil work etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:07 am 

Some new additional artwork would be nice, not just on the extra's DVD or whatever but actually in a booklet so you can hold them in your hand.<br /><br />Maybe some of the pictures that were rejected to make the original booklet? (if there were any). Possibly some fan contributions, things like that.<br /><br />Slick2097

http://www.emulators.co.uk/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:22 pm 
Martian War Lord

They should put Lonesome Crows in for a start. And pay him the big bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:10 pm 
Martian War Lord

I'll second that Loz! :D

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:07 am 
Martian War Lord

Oh! Gosh you guys :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:34 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Horsell_Common+Mar 2 2005, 09:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Horsell_Common @ Mar 2 2005, 09:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->To get the FULL experience on the Jeff Wayne SACD, its best played on a SACD unit, but if you have a 5.1 unit then its OK, it just wont have the anolouge sounds broken down to the extent that the SACD unit plays back.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Although I've never heard an SACD recording, I'm still wondering what possible improvement the format could bring to a 48-channel 1970s recording. What can we expect to hear over and above, say, the 1995 CD remaster?<br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

I think that the sound has more space in this new format, it fills the atmosphere arround youwith a greater scale of depth. But you have to have the equipment to play it. Its a bit loike the old quadraphonic sound system that used four speakers and had different sounds coming from each. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd could be bought in Quadraphonic and used it well back in '73.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:09 pm 

Looking forward to it...eventually, when I get new equipment...<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-Loz+Mar 10 2005, 07:24 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loz @ Mar 10 2005, 07:24 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Its a bit loike the old quadraphonic sound system that used four speakers and had different sounds coming from each.[/quote]<br /><br />Now there was an idea clearly way ahead of its time! Let's hope 5.1, 6.1 or even 7.1 audio lasts a fair bit longer.<br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:18 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yeah not many people forked out for those quad systems. I've seen Floyd live a few times and they use one which totally surrounds the audiance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:49 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-Leper Messiah+Feb 26 2005, 01:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leper Messiah @ Feb 26 2005, 01:03 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->dont lump me in with Curate, he's a bit mad and irrational :D<br /><br />Pendragon are also timing their DVD release with the release of Paramounts movie so the albums not the only thing hoping to ride the hype.  If the other, superior, tellings of the story benefit from the promotion of Paramount's production thats no bad thing, but in and of itself the Paramount version is unlikely to drive people toward a story about Victorian England.<br />[right][snapback]1498[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />I am both mad and irrational but having passion is just as valid as logic my friends.<br />The book first..................everthing else comes second,it is the way it should be.It really is a sad day when we've got to rely on Paramounts hyped up sh*te to sell the story in its original form.Think about it for a one minute and those of you with passion will find a tear in the corner of your eye.H G Well's The War of the Worlds......Feel it,don't just think it. :P

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:22 pm 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-feverpitch96+Mar 8 2005, 11:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(feverpitch96 @ Mar 8 2005, 11:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Although I've never heard an SACD recording, I'm still wondering what possible improvement the format could bring to a 48-channel 1970s recording. What can we expect to hear over and above, say, the 1995 CD remaster?<br />[right][snapback]1878[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />This is something I posted up last week about the album<br /><br />H_C<br /><br />Here is some news I got from Jeff about his forth coming album re-launch this summer of his international award winning album Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds of what the long awaited 'Collectors Edition' set(s) will include.<br /><br />1. CD's 1+2 - SA-CD - these are 2 CD's each containing two files. One <br />file is a brand new stereo remix built up from the original multi <br />tracks, transferred into the digital domain - sound by sound, track by <br />track and then ENTIRELY remixed. If you only have a stereo system it <br />will select the stereo mix. It is a major step up in sound quality than <br />the current stereo version.<br /><br />The second file is the 5.1 Surround Sound mix (not some 'enhanced' <br />version which a lot of record companies actually do and then sell it as <br />a surround sound remix. Ours, like the stereo, is a true and totally <br />new remix including ingredients never heard before.<br /><br />That is why Sony Hardware have backed TWOTW 5.1 remix so they can use <br />it as a true demonstration of what the limits of this technology can <br />produce and will promote it as such. The listener is truly 'in' the <br />sound.<br /><br />Anyone with a surround sound system will have that system select the <br />5.1 file rather than the stereo.<br /><br />The new new remixes represent work started early last summer and will <br />be completed within the next month.<br /><br />2. CD 3- The Remixes 1979-2005 - these represent the best of what has <br />been remixed through the years, some being hits, others just being <br />excellent renditions of different DJ/Remixers slants on my compositions <br />with samples and my original scores having been provided to them.<br /><br />There are also a couple of new remixes never before heard.<br /><br />3. CDs 4-6 - Contain rarities, out-takes, 'special' studio mixes of <br />musical content never before heard, and half of CD 6 being the entire <br />Richard Burton and other actors recorded unabridged script, much of <br />which has also never been heard before.<br /><br />4. 1 DVD - which does recount the history of the making of the <br />recording, visual clips of rare video footage, and a host of other <br />items you would expect on a DVD of this sort along with additional <br />clips from the development of our CGI film not yet seen by anyone. It <br />is also hoping to be used in a different edited form as the base for a <br />tv documentary.<br /><br />5. The booklet is also stunning and now up to 80 pages. It all comes <br />bound and is the size of a black vinyl disc.<br /><br />More news can be found over at: <a href='http://robk.proboards13.com/index.cgi?boar...&num=1110282448' target='_blank'>http://robk.proboards13.com/index.cgi?boar...&num=1110282448</a> <br /><br />Also coming soon, there will be a huge range of The War Of The Worlds goodies, some 250+ at present, to satisfy all fans and collectors. You can find out more by going to his site at: <a href='http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com/</a> - so make a note of it.<br /><br />With much thanks to Jeff Wayne for the above information<br /><br />H_C

H_C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:43 pm 
Martian War Lord

Horsal common, I salute you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:46 pm 
Martian War Lord

In fact Horsell common I salute you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:32 pm 
Martian War Lord

You could have just hit the edit button Loz. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:06 pm 
Martian War Lord

Sheesh that's what it's for! :blush:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:00 am 
Martian War Lord

:lol: :lol: :lol: 'DER' :P :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:34 am 
Martian War Lord

Pass me the gun and I'll end it now! :wacko:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:15 pm 
Martian War Lord

Why don't you go visit area's with the maffia and that stuff? Guns are allowed there, and for sale! :lol:

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 25 posts ]