View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 7 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Wells' Martians Strike Back - Article
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:17 pm 
Tripod King

OK, so this is old news, well infact its very old news, so why have I posted it?, well for the simple reason so we can reflect on how we were told one story then saw how the story changed before our very eyes. The article below is back from 2001, but still makes for very interesting reading.

DREAMWATCH (magazine) August 2001

WELLS' MARTIANS STRIKE BACK

Plans Underway For An Independent War Of the Worlds

Independent film company 'Pendragon Pictures' has announced plans to film a new adaptation of author H.G.Wells' science fiction story The War Of The Worlds.

Set to begin filming in September, the Pendragon production will chronicle the invasion of Earth by extraterrestrials. In contrast to the classic 1953 George Pal film version, the new production is described as a gritty thriller and set to incorporate the giant alien war-machines featured in Wells' original story.

Pendragon has announced that The Cider House Rules star Michael Caine has 'officially' entered negotiations to star in the feature, while Mighty Joe Young's Charlize Theron and Region Of Fire's Matthew McConaughey are also reported to have been approached.

Annouced with a budget of $42 million raised through private financing, the project has been developed by Timothy Hines. With past credits including low-budget features such as Bug Wars and House Of The Rising, Hines will direct the new film from his screenplay. Though set in the present day, the film will see humanity reduced to using Victorian technology as the alien hordes invade.

"I intend to cut the film as an NC-17 and resubmit until the ratings board allows a R," states Hines. "This won't be from gore and violence, which goes along with the territory in War Of the Worlds, but from the sheer psychological terror that the script invokes".

The film is set to be shot in Seattle, with giant a warehouse used for studio filming. The project was kick started with a recent open casting call, resulting in around 600 auditions.

Mainly employing models instead of widely used CGI, The War Of The Worlds special effects will be handled by Pendrahgon's in-house company, Magic Dragon Effects

With European rights to The War Of The Worlds still held by recording artist Jeff Wayne, it is not yet known if the new production will ever be released in the UK. The new War Of The Worlds is scheduled to premiere at Cannes in 2003.

H_C

Forum Moderator to: www.waroftheworldsonline.com - Your Source For The Martian Invasion Since 2002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:49 pm 
Martian War Lord

Good luck to Hines then... I hope his new adaptation will be an improvement of what he wanted... Since when does he include lemon fragments in his movies (and I'm NOT talking about the fruit)?

The Tempest is an advanced assault vehicle, which carries two heavy Heat-Rays and a Canister Launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:31 pm 
Martian War Lord

Erm. Me thinks you misundterstand Oever. That article was released back in 2001. I read it back then and then 9/11 happened and they stopped making it. I even remember reading about a forest fire which Hines had captured and wanted to use in the film, but was now no use to him. Anyway, he started to make a new film called Chrome instead and then switched back to War of the Worlds but decided that because of 9/11 audiances would not want to see a movie with modern, tall buildings being destroyed, and so switched the story to it's origional setting and time. Victorian London. That's the film he has made and the above article is the film he would of made if Bin Laden and his merry men hadn't commited their terrible cat of atrocity.

So what happened to the £42, 000,000 budget?

What happened to models over CGI.

What happened to that cool looking handling machine ?

What happeneds to the Martian's origional design?

What happened to the origional Fighting Machines?

What happened to Michael Cain?

If he'd had gone ahead and made his origional modern day movie, would it have been a be tter film? He's obviously a poor director so it still would have been a bad movie i reckon, but perhaps not as bad as the utter trash he has made.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:33 am 
Tripod King

But that's assuming there was any truth whatsoever in his claims about Caine, Theron, £42m, blah blah.

Which I doubt.

The guy's a Walter Mitty type, but lacking Mitty's guileless charm.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:36 am 
Tripod King

Loz wrote:
What happened to models over CGI.

What happeneds to the Martian's origional design?

Good questions.

There was once a photo of what looked like an animatronic Martian, lurking outside the window (of, presumably, the ruined house) which looked pretty cool, certainly better than those CGI turds that finally appeared. I used to have the image, but God knows where it is now, probably a victim of one of my many HD crashes last year. Grrrr...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:24 pm 
Martian War Lord

Yes it was obviously all Hype.

I like the way the Martian can be seen driving the handling machine. Best thing about the project is the old pictures.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:17 pm 
Tripod King

Well...something tells me the final missed so much of that. Id have loved something done with the classic models!

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 7 posts ]