All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:58 am 

:angry: Come on people,its not all that bad......Lets try and get behind the film.The simple fact is this.We have never had a film of the book,now we have.If its taken all my lifetime and all yours too for that matter for a director to do a film of this then we should be celebrating it.If the passage of all those years is gonna happen again,we're all gonna be well buried for the re-make arn't we.Now then........just imagine if Mr Spielberg had done the book(all that money to spend and all his expirience to boot!).This is a David and Goliath senerio in a way and 'The Curate' is cheering on David.Spielbergs film will make more people pick up the book than Pendragons(with teeth clenched).But...................The Curate is here and will teach people not to pray to false idols and only through the original text can the light be found to guide you to sci-fi heaven.In the name of the father,the son and H.G Wells. ;) ;) :aliean:

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:47 pm 

:unsure: Can anyone help...and i don't mean hitting me over the head with the handle of a meat clever(had to get that in...nice man that writer ha ha).What worries me is this.I'm guessing that pendragons film isnt going to be screened at the 'mainline' cinemas.Does anyone have any ideas on where i'll get to see it here in lovely wet Manchester,England.Cheers...Jeff

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:16 pm 

Whilst Tim hines has stated that he has a worldwide network of distributors lined up, details other than that are scarce.<br />The official line is just 'In theatres March 30th'.<br />The amount of cinemas that show this may well depend on the hype that is still really yet to start. They will need much more advertising to get sufficient demand, I would say.<br />I would guess though that 'arthouse' cinemas will show it for sure, there's usually at least one of these in each major city. As far as provincial showings are concerned.. who knows?

http://evilnerfherder.proboards78.com/index.cgi?
My forum that takes in TWoTW, Sci Fi, Horror and anything else.

http://www.myspace.com/playingwithpylons -the new music project!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:15 pm 
Advanced Member

I confess I'm somewhat surprised that some people on this forum have been bashing the Pendragon film due to the quality of the special effects on this latest trailer.<br /><br />Although Hines appears to clamp his mouth shut everytime somebody asks what the actual budget of his movie is, we've always known (or, at the very least, had every reason to believe) that this a low budget production, probably made with the kind of money that wouldn't even cover the catering bill on Paramount's version.<br /><br />Now though, despite this previous knowledge, some are complaining about the allegedly poor quality of the SFX.<br /><br />Anyone who read my posts about the Pendragon film on the previous forum knows that I mostly spent my time advising people not to set their expectations too high. Seems I was right to be concerned that some individuals were doing just that.<br /><br />My view is that if you know the film-makers don't have a lot of money to play around with, you automatically make allowances for any aspect of the movie not being as polished or state-of-the-art as a bigger-budgeted production.<br /><br />For example, three of my favourite genre movies of the last several years are American Nightmare, Razor Blade Smile and Alien Blood. All were made on practically non-existent budgets, and Razor Blade Smile and Alien Blood feature CGI effects that are woefully poor - but they don't detract from my enjoyment of those films one iota, because I appreciate that the producers did the best they could with what they could afford. <br /><br />So let's not fixate on the effects or whether they're completed or not. They look fine to me, although unfortunately not up to a mainstream audience's standards.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:34 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-Fenris+Jan 17 2005, 07:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fenris @ Jan 17 2005, 07:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Although Hines appears to clamp his mouth shut everytime somebody asks what the actual budget of his movie is, we've always known (or, at the very least, had every reason to believe) that this a low budget production, probably made with the kind of money that wouldn't even cover the catering bill on Paramount's version.[right][snapback]258[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />So they have a low budget. That's not our fault. We're still going to have to pay top whack to see it.<br /><br />In today's world you can get half decent effects for very little. I wish people stop denying that this film needs good effects. It's Sci-fi, with giant bloody tripods vaporising (sp) people and shooting heat rays, giant cylinders, and octopedal blobs drinking human blood. Or aren't these things important to the story? To me they are.<br /><br />And Jeff I hope it does hit general cinemas I really do. I want to see it on a large screen, not the local flea pit! As I've said, I really want this to be good. Really good, but won't be blind to a naff production if that's what it turns out to be.<br /><br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:00 pm 

I think the special effects are a major part of this story and something we have all been waiting a long time to see with the technology that is available today but without a really concerted effort from the pendragon camp on the publicity front the film just won't make it on to the big cinema screens, all the publicity is about the paramount version with info even beginning to trickle on to tv and radio stations with not even a mention of the rival film.<br />I don't think anybody outside of the hardcore fanbase even knows it exists and the release date is getting awfully close, so it's possible we'll see a revised release date or the only people who will pay to see it will be those who know about it and at the moment that is a very small number of people which for a movie that should at the very least be riding on the back of the paramount publicity and at the most be promoting itself as the one that got there first, is very worrying.

"did i miss a meeting" ... bill hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:27 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Martian Myster The New Master+Jan 14 2005, 12:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martian Myster The New Master @ Jan 14 2005, 12:33 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Has anyone noticed the bloke or something running in the background.<br /><br />I would post a capture but I havent got the software to do it, so here goes.<br /><br />As the camera pans up on Big Ben before its blown up, you can see something run past between the two buildings in the background, it looks like some bloke, weird.<br /><br />STRANGE<br />[right][snapback]102[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />I don't think the little bloke is running between the buildings, he's running in front of the buildings, along the thames embankment. wer'e standing on the foreshore looking up at the embankment wall and the buildings in the background. :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:40 pm 

Ok, well I'm finally back on line!! (Thank God in his infinite wisdom) <br /><br /><br />Right....... Where Do i start? STOP BLASTING THE EFFECTS!! Shouldn't we worry more about accuracy? We raved for ages about how this was going to be an accurate, fantastic movie, regardless of anything else!? <br /> <br />If we actually take time out from blasting the animatic-like FX of the new trailer (Which got me very excited i might add) and think more about the fact we should be glad we've got TWO FILMS this year. <br /><br />I am a very experienced art student (I can animate, etc.) and yes, I do think the effects are quite bad considering the amount of time between this trailer and the release date, but WHO CARES!? I don't care whose film is better anymore, I just care that we've got two, and we should be glad we have those. <br /><br />I am however worried that those Fighters in the Trailer ARE the ones from the old concept art from the pre 9/11 version Hines envisaged.... Which, to be brutal, weren't really very accurate at all. (Considering his pledge to be faithful!) <br /><br />...I'm probably just jealous he didn't use mine, (Look in the Fan Fiction Section if you haven't- There's Two Fighters and a Handler there.) but the guy never saw them which is sad. <br /><br />Delusions of Grandeur, maybe, but I'm not going to refuse to see the film just because the Fighters are wrong. <br />Get over this nitpicking and enjoy the film. And let's just hope we get a worldwide release.<br /><br />Rant over, and I apologise toanyone who was offended by my angry outburst.<br /><br /><br />-=REBEL=-<br />

<span style='color:blue'>"You Can't fight something THAT big! It's impossible!" -Jones</span><br /><br />"So after all these years of saying plot first, effects last.... It suddenly matters!?" -Me after seeing people slag off Timothy Hines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:52 am 

:) Cheers lads for your comments,lets enjoy whats coming our way.(there does seem to be a more positive 'vibe' now about pendragons offering).Wouldn't it be great if we could all meet up and go and see both films together.Truth be known(as i'm sure my obvious comments show) i'm very posessive over the original novel and its text(have to discuss that with my physcologist......laughing).One thing that i'm really 'buzzin' off though is comming on this forum and reading everyones posts............Ullaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:25 am 

:shock: What did one Martian say to the other Martian.'Thats the last time i let you drive a cylinder mate,we've landed in New Jersey instead of Woking'. :D Yes i know........what an awful joke but more importantly...........what an crap piece of driving by an intellect vast and cool. :blush: :alien32:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:58 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Jan 16 2005, 03:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Jan 16 2005, 03:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It looks like the machine is stripping the woman to me, (for consumption maybe) although i don't remember that from the book, maybe its just wishfull thinking!!!.<br />Anyway you have to grant them a little artistic licence, adding a few little extras is no bad thing as long as the the story is as close as possible to the original and that seems to be the problem with the cruise/spielberg version which seems to be moving away from originality with every article or photo i see connected to it.<br />I like the idea of the metallic looking machines and the electricity against the old world look of victorian england so i've got this feeling that we might be pleasantly suprised by the pendragon movie and seeing as hines seems to have the passion for the story that is sadly lacking in the cruise version ,i honestly think there is going to be some very raised eyebrows when the pendragon version finally breaks cover.<br />[right][snapback]224[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />FOR ALL THOSE HAVING TROUBLE IDENTIFYING WITH THE SCREAMING WOMAN.<br />I have just read the book and there are parts in there where the narrator quite clearly make references to the martians feeding:-<br /><br />eg. Quote from book, 'It was on the third day, if my memory serves me right, that I saw the lad killed. It was the only occasion on which I actually saw the Martians feed. After that experience I avoided the hole in the wall for the better part of a day.'<br /><br />Now I know it doesn't say anything about a woman being fed upon but one has to appreciate that there were many more martians than just those the narrator and his brother saw and that the Martains were capturing people in their little cages so they are bound to have caught woman as well as men and 'lad's. <br /><br />As Tim Hines said himself he isn't making an action film - he's making a horror movie and a woman's scream is so much more satisfying than a mans for a horror film :blush: <br /><br />I hope this helps you people worrying to 'identify' better with the screaming woman.

Move on be brave, don't weep at my grave, because I am no longer here, But please never let your memory of me disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:10 pm 

Hello people! <br /><br />I followed this forum quiet some time and now I joined you! I'm 25 years old and a fan since I was 7. First I got the record and then I've wret the book several times. I'm from Holland so don't mind my English... :P <br /><br />I'm very exciting about the two (three) movies! My hart goes to Pendragon. It promisses to be a adaption of the book. I think the Spielberg version is going to be a second Independance Day. A sort of pro-American standard... <br /><br />The trailer of Hines looks, I must say, a bit poor... But this is'nt the finished product?! I thought the tripods walked different than the trailer shows?!<br /><br />What do you think of this?

Slowly and shurely, they drew theire plans against us...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:33 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-The Overlord+Jan 19 2005, 01:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Overlord @ Jan 19 2005, 01:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello people! <br /><br />I followed this forum quiet some time and now I joined you! I'm 25 years old and a fan since I was 7. First I got the record and then I've wret the book several times. I'm from Holland so don't mind my English...  :P <br /><br />I'm very exciting about the two (three) movies! My hart goes to Pendragon. It promisses to be a adaption of the book. I think the Spielberg version is going to be a second Independance Day. A sort of pro-American standard... <br /><br />The trailer of Hines looks, I must say, a bit poor... But this is'nt the finished product?! I thought the tripods walked different than the trailer shows?!<br /><br />What do you think of this?<br />[right][snapback]296[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hi Overlord and welcome to the forum!<br /><br />The point you have raised about the tripod's walk is an interesting one and one I have pondered over for many hours, wondering how Hines and Speilberg would make a realistic walking tripod. <br /><br />Half the trouble occurs because we all have this vision of the Tripod from Jeff Wayne's Album cover subconsciously implanted in the back of minds somewhere. To make this version of a tripod walk convincingly is going to be a very mean feat. The trouble here is that as soon as a leg is lifted to enable the tripod to start walking, the whole thing is off balance and would just topple over or the result of lifting the leg slowly would just cause the machine to lean that way until it toppled over.<br /><br />As in the novel Wells clearly describes the tripods striding around the easiest way (which I think is the way hines had gone for is to have 2 outside legs standing in an almost human pose so the machine is balanced while the middle leg bounds forward and the machine leans forward at the same time and as the middle leg conects with the ground the tripod pushed forward with the other 2 legs lifting the off the ground and using the middle leg in an almost crutch like fashion swings the outer legs past the middle one to then come to rest on the ground again before it repeats the same action to carry on. This way the tripods can stride and bound around and pick up speed etc.<br /><br />It is possible to make a tripod like the one on Jeff Waynes cover walk but it needs to be a lot less top heavy and slimmer like the Striders in Halflife 2.<br /><br />It will be interesting to see the differences between the tripods and how the walk throughout the 3 new films. Personally I think Speilberg will probably create the most convincing walk. But I remain faithfull that Hines will do a good Job. All I can say to the animators of the Jeff Wayne version is good luck. I am by no means an experienced animator but I've tried to make a top heavy tripod walk convincingly and it just won't work for me without intoducing some kind of weight / balance distribution of some kind.<br /><br />Anyway it's an interesting topic and one I would value other people's opionions on. ;)

Move on be brave, don't weep at my grave, because I am no longer here, But please never let your memory of me disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:34 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-The Overlord+Jan 19 2005, 12:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Overlord @ Jan 19 2005, 12:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello people! <br /><br />I followed this forum quiet some time and now I joined you! I'm 25 years old and a fan since I was 7. First I got the record and then I've wret the book several times. I'm from Holland so don't mind my English...  :P <br /><br />I'm very exciting about the two (three) movies! My hart goes to Pendragon. It promisses to be a adaption of the book. I think the Spielberg version is going to be a second Independance Day. A sort of pro-American standard... <br /><br />The trailer of Hines looks, I must say, a bit poor... But this is'nt the finished product?! I thought the tripods walked different than the trailer shows?!<br /><br />What do you think of this?<br />[right][snapback]296[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:46 pm 

:( OOOOPS....cocked that up.As for the way the tripods were walking in the clip,well in the book(the chapter called The Storm)the writer describes them as moving like a 'milking stool...bowled over...with the front leg on the ground while the two rear ones came forward(i think i'm right with that description).If that is the case,then this is what is indeed happening in the clip where that tripod is advancing on the gunners positions.(one would imagine that being an artillery man and finding yourself in that position,that ones arse would be falling out by then)I think Mr Hines has got that bit pretty much 'bang on'.What do u lot reckon!! :mellow:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:30 pm 

<!--QuoteBegin-The Massacre of Mankind+Jan 19 2005, 12:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Massacre of Mankind @ Jan 19 2005, 12:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br /><br />Half the trouble occurs because we all have this vision of the Tripod from Jeff Wayne's Album cover subconsciously implanted in the back of minds somewhere. To make this version of a tripod walk convincingly is going to be a very mean feat. The trouble here is that as soon as a leg is lifted to enable the tripod to start walking, the whole thing is off balance and would just topple over or the result of lifting the leg slowly would just cause the machine to lean that way until it toppled over.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yeah! You are right! This also would be the most logical way. I'm looking forward to see the whole thing! Hope it won't be a dissapointment...

Slowly and shurely, they drew theire plans against us...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:16 pm 

I like the idea that tim hines is leaning toward a horror feel to the movie because for the me the book has always been one of the most terrifying things i've read.<br />I think one of the things that may be lost in the cruise version is that real creepy, dark and forbidding image that the book conjurs up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:52 am 

<!--QuoteBegin-gavv8+Jan 19 2005, 11:16 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gavv8 @ Jan 19 2005, 11:16 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I like the idea that tim hines is leaning toward a horror feel to the movie because for the me the book has always been one of the most terrifying things i've read.<br />I think one of the things that may be lost in the cruise version is that real creepy, dark and forbidding image that the book conjurs up.<br />[right][snapback]304[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I honestly believe what makes the original novel and yes even Pendragon's version more scary is the fact that these are are late 19th century people dealing with something we in the 21st century would have trouble with. Most of the advanced weapons and science for them is a good 30 to 50 years away so the idea of a more primitive people being preyed on is scary. <br /><br />Now granted all of this happening now isn't that frightining because we know more about our world and to some extent the universe so if something did come from mars to attack us it wouldn't be that shocking. <br /><br />Wells version simply works better because of the time period in which its set but I think Paramounts will be pretty scarry to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:51 am 

:) I couldn't agree more.....The story set in victorian times does seem more creepy and scary than if it was set today.Also someone put a post on the forum(excuse my ignorance)about the 'wooden' acting and then went on to point out that this in a way is a good thing because it conveyed the 'stiff upper lip' emotional attitude of the period(in regarding the pendragon film).Also,if these events were set today i do wonder if the site of a certain Thomas Cruise would be in itself enough to defeat the Martians long before they were raiding the medicine cupboard for the covonia................cough!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:48 pm 

That was my post, and yes i think the slightly 'wooden' style of acting will only add to the style of the film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:37 am 

Yes,i think your dead right on that one mate.....it will add to the film. :alien32:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:40 pm 

I dunno. I went back one time and read a lot of HG Wells and found the dialog to be reasonably lively and nuanced. I'm not sure that it needs to be "wooden".<br /><br />I thought the opera singer was a reasonably inspired touch. I hated the "Before WWII/WWI" part. It's overlong, the lettering looks like a 1970's documentary and conceptually it's clunky. If the events in the War of the Worlds had actually of taken place, it's unlikely that either of the World Wars would have taken place. (Or at least they would have taken place in a very different manner.) It just reinforces the distancing elements of a science fiction film set in the past with world changing events. Maybe it's just refering to the writing of the novel, but it still was jarring.<br /><br />The rest of it was a mixed bag. I liked the tripod, the Big Ben scene didn't bother me too much aside from the cartoony delayed falling action, the falling star looked kind of ass and the scene with the woman being menaced had an out of place Frankenstein/Metropolis feel that seemed more like part of Pendragon's other feature "Platinum". (Closer inspection suggestions that she's being pawed at by the handling machines seen in recent photos.)<br /><br />It probably won't play in theaters around me, but I'd watch it if it hits the Sci Fi channel.<br /><br />

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:00 pm 

I think the whole frankenstein/metropolis feel will work very well, the story is very dark in places and the pendragon version seems to be coming from a very different angle to the paramount version, ie true to the book but i am getting very worried about the distribution seeing as the supposed release date is getting very close and there is no publicity whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:33 pm 
Martian War Lord

<!--QuoteBegin-Thunder Child+Feb 3 2005, 09:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thunder Child @ Feb 3 2005, 09:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If the events in the War of the Worlds had actually of taken place, it's unlikely that either of the World Wars would have taken place.  (Or at least they would have taken place in a very different manner.)<br />[right][snapback]573[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br />I'm sure it would have taken place and even sooner than W.W.1, with all this new alien technology in England hands. The Germans, French or The U.S.A would have invaded while we were still reeling from the martian's attack. :aliean: <br /><br /><br />

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:38 pm 

:( Yeah Gavv8.I'm a bit worried that so far there 'seems' to be no publicity about Pendragons Holy undertaking.I so much need to see this film on the big screen.I don't just want to end up watching it on DVD first.Having said that,i feel sure that there is enough of us coming on the forum that someone(not hinting Lee...ha ha)will find out 'where'and'when Pendragons gift will land.Imagine us all going to see it together.Wow.........what a 'buzzin' time that would be....very interesting.On the other hand :D Imagine us all going to see Paramounts version together.I can see the local newspaper headlines.'Vicar gets arrested in protest over film premier' :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next