All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:57 pm 
Martian War Lord

According to the official website, the trailer will be online within 48 hours!!<br /><br /><a href='http://www.pendragonpictures.com/WOTWKEY.html' target='_blank'>Pendragon Official Site</a><br /><br /> B)

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:04 pm 
Martian War Lord

Already out by the look of it!!!<br /><br />Click here.... <a href='http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/wotw-videos.htm' target='_blank'>http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/wotw-videos.htm</a><br /><br />Read a few people in other forums are not too happy...... I must admit I'm not keen on the woman singing for half of it.... but the 2nd half looks very good.<br /><br />Whether this is the same trailer that will be going on the Pendragon site I'm not sure. I hope they release a higher quality one.... bit small at 4.4mb<br /><br />Screenshots are available on the main site on the Pendragon Page...<br /><br />Anyway.... I'm happy, special effects are looking pretty good....<br /><br />Your views please....

Lee
Eve Of The War Webmaster
http://www.eveofthewar.co.uk
"The War Of The Worlds Website"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:17 am 

Oh my god... I think the trailer were really embarrassing!!! And the special effects were even worse.... Oh my god... I think I just decided NEVER EVER see this movie. This will be a crappy movie! Very sad to say...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:23 am 

Wow now that was different. I can see where he was coming from with singing, (Think interms of a little abstract) although maybe a little to long, would have been nice to see more effects. But come on guys with the budget this guy has I think the effects look ok, certainly sent a shiver down my spine when big ben went for a fly. <br /><br />The tripod looked pretty cool too. <br /><br />I like it and will definately go see it. I should imagine its not going to be what everyone expects but, it his portayal of the book, and im sure you will have your own images in your mind of what things should look like or what you wouldnt put in etc, we would be here forever until autumn (Like the Pun) if everyone had their say.... <br /><br />I reserve my judgement and bow in honour, thank god someone has finally made the REAL War of the Worlds come true from my child hood dreams, to give me more nightmares AGAIN YAY.<br /><br />Go easy on TIM guys.....<br /><br /> :smoking:

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk
www.webspaceinvaders.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:45 am 

Ok, on second thought, I will probably go see this movie (if it will show here in Sweden) but I still think the f/x were very bad. The tripods looked kind of ok though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:40 am 

Yeah I can see what all mean about the woman singing and the Special effects especially on the bit with big ben falling into the bridge - HOWEVER!!!!! Remember the reason for the trailer being delayed in the first place. They thought that certain parts that they had been working on to show in the trailer were un-appropriate due to the recent disaster as it showed people suffing in water. This if you think about the book is probably the most action packed part of the book which would've been good to show on a trailer for your regular cinema goer. I think they may have used stuff that wasn't quite the way they want it yet but they didn't want to keep the fans waiting too long.<br /><br />I think and hope that the effects will be cleaned up and more polished loooking in the final theater release.<br /><br />Personally the dark gothicy feel in some of the scenes looked very exciting and the part with the tripod looked amazing so I'm sure the other bits will be made to match up to this.<br /><br />I agree with Martian Myster The New Master, we should go easy on Tim. I mean if nothing else - give him his due for doing this. No one else has ever tried to do a PROPER version of the book through film.<br /><br />COME ON TIM - prove em all wrong, do us proud - even if the film has to be delayed until after Spielberg's - I wouldn't care!!!!!

Move on be brave, don't weep at my grave, because I am no longer here, But please never let your memory of me disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:39 pm 
Tripod King

and just like that, the dream is over :(<br /><br />well no that is unfair on hines and the cast. yes, the special effects are in fact not up to the (still suprisingly decent) standard of the 50s film, and the special effect of big ben being destroyed does give me...... pause. And i dont like this mythical subplot that seems to be revolving around the woman in the film that im struggling to identify in the book. but i still hope..... apparently against hope though.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:45 pm 
Tripod King

Gotta be honest , that trailer was embarassing...<br /><br />What is this film gonna be like???

There are three types of people in this World. Those who can count, and those who can't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:53 pm 

Outside of the singer at the beginning (who I too cannot identify), I enjoyed the trailer for what it was. I'd like to see this movie look alot more "polished", as we all know Paramount's movie will be, however, since this probably has 1/10th the budget, I'm not going to expect that...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:11 pm 

I wonder if they will realease another trailer, most films normally release 3 trailers. I guess we will have to wait and see.<br /><br />I still like the trailer, the more I watch it, the more I like it. Its dark and gloomy, and the woman although Im undecided about her, I do think she sets the atmosphere, which is what I think it was done for. I doubt very much that the singing woman is in the film.

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:35 pm 

I support Tim and his team for what they are trying to achieve, I really do. But that was unprofessional and apalling. I pray that the Big ben shot was an animatic (or whatever those pre-film cyber versions are called) and not the finished thing. <br /><br />They have eight to ten weeks to get this in cinemas and I am truely frightened of what they will present us with.<br /><br />And, as said above, who the hell is that bloody woman???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:02 pm 
Advanced Member

<!--QuoteBegin-gibbspaulus+Jan 13 2005, 09:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gibbspaulus @ Jan 13 2005, 09:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br /><br />And, as said above, who the hell is that bloody woman???<br />[right][snapback]78[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Also, what is with the woman getting her clothes peeled off by the mechanical Martian arms? I certainly don't recall any Martian stripping machines in the book. Showing people jumping into water is inappropriate, but a scene that looks like a girl about to get raped by alien machinery is OK? <br /><br />I was really hoping to see something that would ease my concerns about the quality of this thing, but aside from the one shot of the tripod legs as it walks over the soldiers, I didn't see anything to show that this is going to have any decent cinematic technique to it at all. Sorry, but if that trailer gets shown to an actual movie audience it'll get laughed out of the theater. There's a distinct difference between low-budget and amateurish, and everything I've seen about this version is screaming "amateurish!" I'm sure that Hines & his crew have a genuine love and respect for the original story, but that's not enough. You don't need a $100 million budget, but you have to have genuine creativity and talent or the end result will be, well, what that trailer looked like. Sorry, all, but the clear advantage continues to go to Spielberg.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:24 pm 

I must admit it the trailers do look a little dodgy, Im really curious as to why they haven't hosted the trailers on their own website and also why they arn't higher resolution. <br /><br />I guess we will have to wait and see, lets face it, im gonna see it no matter what.<br /><br />

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:39 pm 
Advanced Member

Anyone else upset about the heat ray? In the book it was invisable. On the preview you could see it.....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:43 pm 

I dont think it would be good to be completely invisible it just wouldnt work. I think the heat ray was quite good, others may disagree.<br /><br />Just my humble opinion :unsure:

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:59 pm 

I have to admit, after watching the trailer a few more times, it doesnt look THAT bad, as it initially did when I initially saw it. I just wish there would be a higher quality trailer released.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:33 pm 

Has anyone noticed the bloke or something running in the background.<br /><br />I would post a capture but I havent got the software to do it, so here goes.<br /><br />As the camera pans up on Big Ben before its blown up, you can see something run past between the two buildings in the background, it looks like some bloke, weird.<br /><br />STRANGE

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:08 am 
Tripod King

well popular opinion elsewhere is that the big ben clip is an unfinished sfx shot they had to include instead of the river scene they were going to. there is a good chance that in febuary when the trailer starts going out to cinemas that shot will have been properly textured.

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:10 am 

Where did you read that Leper M I would be interested in reading about that.<br /><br />Cheers<br />

www.tshirt-shop.co.uk

YOU! Off My Planet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:15 am 
Tripod King

<!--QuoteBegin-Martian Myster The New Master+Jan 14 2005, 01:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martian Myster The New Master @ Jan 14 2005, 01:10 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Where did you read that Leper M I would be interested in reading about that.<br /><br />Cheers<br />[right][snapback]107[/snapback][/right]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />its by no means definate but i was generally looking through some other WOTW forums earlier to see what opinion on the trailer was. the opinion that it is an unfinished effect is not put forward by anyone better informed than you or i near as i can tell, but it is a popular theory, especially considering the somewhat better quality of sfx shots elsewhere in the trailer. ill try and find a link to the discussion im referencing for you<br /><br />edit: here is a typical discussion on the topic: <a href='http://robk.proboards13.com/index.cgi?board=pendragon&action=display&num=1105569663' target='_blank'>http://robk.proboards13.com/index.cgi?boar...&num=1105569663</a>

Bow To Leper Messiah!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:35 am 

Ick... -_-<br /><br />...it's a start...but if those are gonna be the final graphics...I can do better on my home computer!<br /><br />...oh wait...I have :)<br /><br /><a href='http://www.cor_renders.danmattia.net/Movies/War%20Of%20The%20Worlds/' target='_blank'>http://www.cor_renders.danmattia.net/Movie...20The%20Worlds/</a><br /><br />The '1_2' version is alot better IMO, it actually has 'footage' of the tripod.<br /><br />They're rough (tripods don't move 'correctly'....yet...)...and don't have sound...but...well...it's a start, I'm rendering the finishing scenes for the next 'trailer' (A martian attack scene, and a 'falling star')<br /><br />...and if anyone is wondering...I am making a movie...sort of...I want to see what I am capable of doing on my own...and submit it as something for Colleges to look at when I'm applying there (I want to get into computer animation)<br /><br />Anywho, back on topic, I'm going to see it anyways...but...It'll get a dismal grade if that is the standing grapics...which I hope aren't...cause the Tripod looks FECKING AWESOME :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:53 am 

I think the trailer improves with each viewing.<br />Thing is, with the backlash that Pendragon got after delaying the trailer, they had to release *something*. They felt the need to remove some of the finished stuff so they had to look elsewhere within the footage. That's probably why some of the FX shots look unfinished.<br />Also we need to bear in mind that this is a pretty low-res file so that may account for some of the FX not looking so pretty.<br />The trailer is actually quite clever in places if you step back and think about it..<br />The woman in the music hall (in the novel, the Narrator's brother visits one on his travels) is singing a Gilbert and Sullivan song I'm reliably informed is from the Mikado called 'The Sun who's rays are all ablaze' with it's lyrics beginning 'I mean to rule the Earth...' . Quite fitting really.<br />I think it may be the same woman who is at the end about to be Martian supper...<br />As for the green lightning, I'm not sure about that. Bearing in mind that the Fighting Machines are driven by electrically polarised artificial 'muscles', there may well be electrical discharges flying around. Perhaps the heat ray generator creates a massive static electricity field as it is discharged.

http://evilnerfherder.proboards78.com/index.cgi?
My forum that takes in TWoTW, Sci Fi, Horror and anything else.

http://www.myspace.com/playingwithpylons -the new music project!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:04 am 

Well i thought that the trailer was pretty ok.This film has long been waited for and if all you lot give a toss about is special effects then run off and join the Spielberg clan and do us all a favour.Mr Hines is giving us the book as best he can and as for the handling machine stripping that woman.......if you think about it,the martians would probably have to strip the humans in the first place in order to drain their blood.Personally, i care about the story,not the special effects.What i would suggest is go away,read the book again and you will find that what Mr Hines is giving us are the right things if you only examine the text of this great book.If you can't see that then i'm afraid that your nothing more than a bunch of star trek(The next generation)fans.Wake up you bunch of muppets......AM I SHOUTING LOUD ENOUGH HERE. :lol: :lol:

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:22 am 

EVILNERFHERDER.I enjoyed reading your comments,no disrespect to you.I think this is as close as we are going to get with this novel and i wish that more people would realise it and be happy.If it wasn't for Mr Hines,we would just be getting Mr Spielbergs 'Bastardised' version of the book and for me,original ideas do tend to be the best.Pendragons film is gonna wipe the floor with any other attempts at this book and you know why.................coz they are doing the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody Martians nicked my bible..!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:40 am 

No one has mentioned anything about the "falling star"... I think it is awful! And the actors doesn't even look at the right angle when looking on it, don't you think?!<br /><br />I agree about the big ben shoot... Hopefully it will be better rendered at the final version.<br /><br />And, I too must admit that the trailer looks better and better the more I see it, but as someone mentioned, if this is going to be showed in cinemas as a trailer, people will laugh... And also be confused about why it looks so amateurish beacuse they think this is the same version that includes Tom Cruise...

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next