Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 3 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: New Sci-fi Releases from BBC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:20 pm 

Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't been around but I was ill for seveal months from which I've only just recovered.

BBC Audioboks will be releasing three more sci-fi classics on CD on 6th August. They'll be Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhoods End"; dramatised in 1997 to mark Clarke's eigthieth birthday. It stars Steven Pacey as Jan Rodricks and Peter Jeffrey in one of his last roles as Karellen, the representative of the alien overlords who come to Earth. Also John Wyndham's "The Kraken Wakes" dramatised in 1998 and starring Jonathan Cake and Sariah Todd as husband and wife journalists Mike and Phyllis Watson who witness an alien invasion via the ocean depths leading to the whole Earth being transformed. The CD covers are much better than the original cassette releases. "The Kraken Wakes" being very dramatic.

The highlight is the release of Victor Pemberton's 1966 serial: "The Slide" set in one of the new towns of the 1960s where a freak earthquake releases a sentient mud that can perform mind control. It's well known that Pemberton adapted "The Slide" as "Fury from the Deep" for "Doctor Who"on which he also worked as script editor in the 1960s. The mud being replaced with seaweed. The cast has several "Doctor Who" connections: Maurice Denham, David Spencer and, in particular, Roger Delgado as Professor Gomez: a Doctor/Quatermass figure battling the menace. The advertising states that Delgado went on to play the original Master in so it'll be interesting to hear Delgado in a more sympatheitc role esspecially since the Master's recent return to "Doctor Who".

"The Slide" was missing from the BBC's archives so this release has been remastered from tapes of the show held by Pemberton.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:41 pm 
Martian War Lord

Thanks for the info 'morrisvan'

sorry to hear about your illness.

I've not heard of Victor Pemberton's "The Slide" sounds as if it may be good.
"The Kraken Wakes" is one of John Wyndham's best books I think. BBC7 did a marvelous unabridged reading of it a couple of years ago read by Stephen (Marvin the paranoid android) Moore.
I already have Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhoods End", recorded from the radio, but I shall certainly look out for 'The slide'.
Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:06 am 
Martian War Lord

Thanks Mo.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 3 posts ]