A forum for all 'War Of The Worlds' fans
Home Page Home Page Home Page Home Page
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 2 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Does anyone remember Clue Club?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:01 pm 

Hanna Barbera produced numerous cartoon series over several decades. Some of their characters became household names: Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat, The Flintstones, etc. Others are well known, but only to fans and TV buffs. For example Hong Kong Phooey, Dastardly & Muttley, Dynomutt, the Hair Bear Bunch, Captain Caveman, The Jetsons, and Snagglepuss.

But some just never caught on, and rest in undisturbed obscurity. One such example is Clue Club, one of several attempts Hanna Barbera made to cash in on the success of their own hit series, Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

Clue Club concerned a group of teenagers - and two dogs - who investigated apparently ghostly hauntings, strange disappearances, bizarre crimes and 'locked room'-type mysteries. I believe the two dogs were both bloodhounds and were called Woofer and Whimper: the former wore a deerstalker and imagined himself a great detective, and the latter just resignedly went along with whatever Woofer said.

The show's format was different from Scooby Doo in a number of ways: instead of travelling back & forth across the country via Mystery Machine, the Clue Clubbers stayed in the same small town (as a result, the local sheriff was a regular character). Also, Woofer and Whimper only talked amongst themselves and never interacted with humans, effectively making them 'normal' dogs (deerstalker aside). And the youngest member of the Club - a pre-teen girl - never accompanied the others on investigations, but stayed at home, carrying out research and working on theories using a Seventies-standard room-sized computer.

Airing in the States in 1976, the show only lasted one season. In the UK, some of the ITV regions showed it on weekday mornings during the summer holidays for one year in the early Eighties. That's when I saw it, and over twenty years on I still have clear memories of several of the episodes.

As far as I'm aware, that was the only time Clue Club was ever screened over here. I don't think it's ever turned up on any of the satellite channels, unless someone knows different. Does anyone else remember seeing this series?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:12 pm 
Martian War Lord

Not me. I've got a big book somewhere with everything Hanna Barbera did. I'll try and dig it out and see.

Bah bah black sheap April diamond spheres, Rigsby, Rigsby, Eight sided Pears.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 2 posts ]