Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

Home Page Home Page  [ 2 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:02 am 

Well, for all its hype, which normally turns me away from movies, I enjoyed this one a lot. Enough to see it twice, both times in 3D.
I rarely see films just for their SFX, but this is one I made an exception for. Somewhat surprisingly, the story, though relatively straightforward, was very engaging & kept me entertained enough that I didn't notice how long the movie actually was: just under three hours! And the CGI effects were so believable that I forgot fairly quickly that I was watching effects. In fact, the humans and other real stuff in the film seemed out of place, and I'm waiting for a documentary on a science channel about the world, even though I know it's not real! As for the 3D stuff, for the first 20 minutes or so, I kept unconsciously swatting the air at the insects onscreen that looked like they were buzzing 'round me in the cinema!

This will certainly change the way action & sci-fi/fantasy films are presented from now on. I imagine, too, that it will quicken the release of 3D TV; if people thought sporting events looked great on HD TV, wait 'til they see them in 3D!

Anyway, there's not much else I'm going to say about Avatar at this point, other than I recommend going to see it on the big screen if you see it at all, and try to see the 3D version if you can. (Now, if we could just get a decent adaptation of War of the Worlds in this format... =P~ )

Insert witty, yet philosophical remark here...

Post subject: Re: AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 pm 
Martian War Lord

It was a great film, probably the best one I've ever seen.
Here is a 22 minute documentary on the making of the film, I reckon this documentary will be on the DVD when it's released.

http://seqmag.com/2010/01/making-of-avatar/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldFBFJgWmw&feature=player_embedded

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 2 posts ]